Struggling to get hba1c under 56 mmol

Millie74

Hi,

I was diagnosed with hba1c of 96 mmol in January. It went down to 72 in March and 52 in June. It was 56 in August which was disappointing. I was on metformin 500mg x 4 and nurse wanted to put me on SGLT2 too. I tried it for 10 days, but felt nauseous, light headed in afternoon and very thirsty through night. I lost 1st 4 since Jan on LCHF diet and have a BMI of 25 now. It’s hard to lose more, but going to try and drop my carbs under 50g to try and lower hba1c and lose 7 pounds more. Hope it works. Feeling stressed. Was happy just in metformin.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome Millie.
I found by dropping my carbs even more than you are aiming for and doing some intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast) I got my bloods down without any medication at all (metformin kept me tied to the toilet for 3 painful weeks).
I'm fairly sure that by reducing carbs you will see the improvements you are looking for. Maybe check with the nurse for a say 3 month hold on the SGLT2 whilst you try with the very low carbs?
Remember it's you that decides what goes into your body and no-one else.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I was diagnosed with hba1c of 96 mmol in January. It went down to 72 in March and 52 in June. It was 56 in August which was disappointing. I was on metformin 500mg x 4 and nurse wanted to put me on SGLT2 too. I tried it for 10 days, but felt nauseous, light headed in afternoon and very thirsty through night. I lost 1st 4 since Jan on LCHF diet and have a BMI of 25 now. It’s hard to lose more, but going to try and drop my carbs under 50g to try and lower hba1c and lose 7 pounds more. Hope it works. Feeling stressed. Was happy just in metformin.
Sorry also should add that's a great HbA1c reduction.. well done!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Millie

That is, indeed, a fab HbA1c reduction. Well done!

I found that scraping my readings down the last bit was actually the most difficult, so I do sympathise.

Not sure what you are eating, but sometimes writing a food diary can help, because it lets you track where all the sneaky hidden carbs are. Also, are you testing your blood glucose before and after food? That is a great way to work out which foods in which meals are sending you higher than you want.

Best wishes

Reactions: Millie74

Millie74

Hi and welcome Millie.
I found by dropping my carbs even more than you are aiming for and doing some intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast) I got my bloods down without any medication at all (metformin kept me tied to the toilet for 3 painful weeks).
I'm fairly sure that by reducing carbs you will see the improvements you are looking for. Maybe check with the nurse for a say 3 month hold on the SGLT2 whilst you try with the very low carbs?
Remember it's you that decides what goes into your body and no-one else.[/QUOTE.
Hi and welcome Millie.
Remember it's you that decides what goes into your body and no-one else.
Thanks for your response and in particular the last line, as did feel initially that I didn’t have a choice. I have been doing low carb, around 70g when I track. I am now tracking under 50g on my fitness pal since stopping the SGLT2, Jardiance. I have greek yoghurt, raspberries and walnuts now, salad or omelette for lunch and curry or chilli or something like that for dinner with no rice. Before I was having porridge or all bran. Weighed, but this may be too much in the morning. Nice to be on this forum as think I bore everyone at home. I also think I’ll stop the few glasses of wine at the weekend. I am going to ask for 3 months. Doing couch to 5k now on top of my dance teaching daily.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The porridge and all bran won't have been helping much..
I find that a couple of coffees with double cream kept me going fine until lunchtime (nowadays more like until dinner) and also by not eating I wasn't causing any blood sugar spikes or insulin responses so gave my body that extra bit of "metabolic rest". Worked well for me..

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi,

That's a BIG reduction and nothing to sneeze about ... keep at it

Millie74

Thanks. Dropping carb allowance to under 50 g and tracking on my fitness pal. I felt that I had to take the SGLT2 when nurse prescribed, but did try it in addition to metformin and felt awful. I teach dance daily. Have started couch to 5k too as may need to do more. I would prefer anything but more drugs. Thanks all for your encouragement. Feeling pretty fed up about it.

Reactions: kokhongw

Millie74

The porridge and all bran won't have been helping much..
I find that a couple of coffees with double cream kept me going fine until lunchtime (nowadays more like until dinner) and also by not eating I wasn't causing any blood sugar spikes or insulin responses so gave my body that extra bit of "metabolic rest". Worked well for me..
I wandered about intermittent fasting as Michael Molesley suggests. But on metformin I thought you had to eat breakfast in morning. I am on 2000mg. So quite a high dose. As I teach dance and fitness think I’ll need some breakfast. But I agree maybe the Bran/ Porridge too high carb as was about 25g carb just on breakfast. Yoghurt and berries only 10g. So hope this helps. Do you think alcohol at weekend would mess it up too? Did like odd glass of wine, but prepared to give it up.

It’s all a pain. I had gestational diabetes with my 2 boys. I was on insulin through pregnancy which was a nightmare. Diabetes went away for 12 years after their births. Boys are 12 and 13 years now. Wasn’t expecting to get diabetes until much older as I teach Dance full time. But it caught up with me :( Find it all very worrying.

Thanks for your help.

Millie74

Millie

That is, indeed, a fab HbA1c reduction. Well done!

I found that scraping my readings down the last bit was actually the most difficult, so I do sympathise.

Not sure what you are eating, but sometimes writing a food diary can help, because it lets you track where all the sneaky hidden carbs are. Also, are you testing your blood glucose before and after food? That is a great way to work out which foods in which meals are sending you higher than you want.

Best wishes
Thanks for your response. I am tracking carbs on my fitness pal. I fear getting the last bit down will be hard. Would rather do it without more drugs. They won’t give me a blood glucose meter. I asked. She just said you don’t need it when I asked to see how breakfast etc affected it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wandered about intermittent fasting as Michael Molesley suggests. But on metformin I thought you had to eat breakfast in morning. I am on 2000mg. So quite a high dose. As I teach dance and fitness think I’ll need some breakfast. But I agree maybe the Bran/ Porridge too high carb as was about 25g carb just on breakfast. Yoghurt and berries only 10g. So hope this helps. Do you think alcohol at weekend would mess it up too? Did like odd glass of wine, but prepared to give it up.

It’s all a pain. I had gestational diabetes with my 2 boys. I was on insulin through pregnancy which was a nightmare. Diabetes went away for 12 years after their births. Boys are 12 and 13 years now. Wasn’t expecting to get diabetes until much older as I teach Dance full time. But it caught up with me :( Find it all very worrying.

Thanks for your help.

Some people also react more to carbs in the morning as combined with the elevation in blood sugars from the dawn phenomenon it can be quite difficult. Maybe a fattier meal like bacon and eggs would help.
I gave up the meds after 3 weeks as I couldn't handle being tied to the loo.

I don't drink.. (gave up pre diagnosis) so can't really advise there..

It's far more about what you eat than exercise.. cut out those carbs and you'll get there.

Reactions: Millie74

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your response. I am tracking carbs on my fitness pal. I fear getting the last bit down will be hard. Would rather do it without more drugs. They won’t give me a blood glucose meter. I asked. She just said you don’t need it when I asked to see how breakfast etc affected it.

They don't usually give glucose meters to T2s. They say we don't need them - but most of us find them extremely useful.
The real reason is cost. Imagine if the NHS had to fund test meters and repeat prescriptions for test strips to all T2s. The cost would be astronomical.

However, fortunately for us, we can buy our own. I use the Tee2. From memory, the meter cost £13 and 50 test strips is around £7. Obviously the ongoing cost depends on how often you test, but even at 50 tests a week that is £7 a week which I think most people can afford (less than the prescription charge for a single item, for those of us who pay prescription charges). My husband spends twice that a week on coffees! lol.

Another low priced meter brand is the Codefree.

Both brands are available online.
I strongly suggest that you do a few price comparisons and bear in mind the ongoing cost of buying strips. There is a lot of price variation out there.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. Great work on your reduction!

I would recommend that you buy a meter. That was the first thing I did. My doctor also said I didn't need one but I felt that I needed every bit of information I could get to maximise my efforts. The readings can tell you what effect your meals are having which allows you to make changes. In the beginning you may have to test regularly but after a while it is much less. It will also give you a guide as to how many arbs your body can tolerate.

Well done so far!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As long as your weekend wine is a red one there is no harm. In fact red wine in moderation is heart healthy and will not raise your blood sugar levels. Most people find it lowers them, and it is full of antioxydents.

Millie74

Some people also react more to carbs in the morning as combined with the elevation in blood sugars from the dawn phenomenon it can be quite difficult. Maybe a fattier meal like bacon and eggs would help.
I gave up the meds after 3 weeks as I couldn't handle being tied to the loo.

I don't drink.. (gave up pre diagnosis) so can't really advise there..

It's far more about what you eat than exercise.. cut out those carbs and you'll get there.
Thanks for your encouragement. I can see why it’s more about diet than anything. Never really fancy eggs for breakfast, as often have omelette at lunch, but could fo this at weekends when have more time. Otherwise probably Greek Yoghurt lowest carb alternative I can think of. I just thought adding running might be a new focus and help, but I don’t really like running. Will stick with it though

Millie74

Thanks for your encouragement. I can see why it’s more about diet than anything. Never really fancy eggs for breakfast, as often have omelette at lunch, but could fo this at weekends when have more time. Otherwise probably Greek Yoghurt lowest carb alternative I can think of. I just thought adding running might be a new focus and help, but I don’t really like running. Will stick with it though
Also well done for controlling yours without even Metformin. Brilliant!

Millie74

They don't usually give glucose meters to T2s. They say we don't need them - but most of us find them extremely useful.
The real reason is cost. Imagine if the NHS had to fund test meters and repeat prescriptions for test strips to all T2s. The cost would be astronomical.

However, fortunately for us, we can buy our own. I use the Tee2. From memory, the meter cost £13 and 50 test strips is around £7. Obviously the ongoing cost depends on how often you test, but even at 50 tests a week that is £7 a week which I think most people can afford (less than the prescription charge for a single item, for those of us who pay prescription charges). My husband spends twice that a week on coffees! lol.

Another low priced meter brand is the Codefree.

Both brands are available online.
I strongly suggest that you do a few price comparisons and bear in mind the ongoing cost of buying strips. There is a lot of price variation out there.
Thanks for the info. Will look into it. Appreciate your help.