Joined the Type 2 club

Nelly122

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 after a second test showed up as 6.5%.

I am a 36 year old male who’s current weight is 15st 8lbs.

Rewind to my 30th birthday were my walk around weight was 12stone 2lbs.

I was always super fit up until 30. With playing regular five a side football and also BJJ/Wrestling purple belt. However I started university and if I wasn’t spending time studying I was working late night to pay the bills for my young family. As you can imagine the fast food and junk came thick and fast which caused me to balloon up to 17stone.

The weight gain was a lot and people were shocked who I hadn’t seen for years at my condition.

It wasn’t until 3 months ago I decided to get a grip of myself and get back into the gym which causes me to get back down to 16st however I still felt lousy.

A trip to the doctor and two bloods later I find out I am Type2. I nearly hit the floor with worry, anger and embarrassment on how I’ve neglected myself so much.

I now begin to think what I actually must have been on a blood test before losing a stone. I have refused medication for now and hope to bring myself back to peak condition.

I went home and looked at my children and wife and it hit home how much they need their father to be around.

One thing I am good at is sessions at the gym so I hope to bring some updates about my weight and how I’m going to bring myself back to my former self and roll back the years.

I will document my workouts and post my fortnightly weigh ins. If anyone wants any advice for workouts then I’m here to help as I have a lot of knowledge in that department from back in the day.

Let’s motivate and support each other to get fitter, stronger and healthier.

Any help with food to avoid and stuff will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Nelly122 and welcome

Some good advice from bulkbiker above. I’m tagging @rhubarb73 as I think his journey would resonate with you.

In the meantime have a good read of the link bulkbiker shared and do come back and ask as many questions as you like.

Nelly122

Hi Bulkbiker

Thanks for the info.

Yes I can well imagine what’s on our plates is the biggest issue when tackling Type2

I look forward to the challenge. My next blood test is scheduled for November so I’m hoping to bring myself down to the prediabetes range.

However I’m new so I don’t know how easy/hard this is going to be.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Nelly and welcome!
I’ll second the low carb way of eating as the primary way to normalise your blood sugars and lose weight at the same time. I started low carbing straight after I was diagnosed to sort out my type 2 and the weight loss was a happy side effect. I continue low carbing to keep my blood sugars non-diabetic, I love the food I eat now and don’t get unduely hungry. I agree with @bulkbiker about exercise whilst being good for you in other ways it’s not entirely necessary, for the first year or so I didn’t exercise much as I was waiting surgery on both my feet, yet still I had success. Now the surgery is behind me I do walk and swim and of course acknowledge that it must be doing me good too.
Here’s a good website to get you going:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bulkbiker

Thanks for the info.

Yes I can well imagine what’s on our plates is the biggest issue when tackling Type2

I look forward to the challenge. My next blood test is scheduled for November so I’m hoping to bring myself down to the prediabetes range.

However I’m new so I don’t know how easy/hard this is going to be.
What was your HbA1c on diagnosis?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was 48
Thats only "just" in the T2 range.. Few months of low carb and maybe some intermittent fasting and you should be able to get back to "normal levels" with some nice weight loss to accompany it.

Nelly122

Another thing I might add was my blood pressure was through the roof so I’ve been prescribed ramipril.

Could this be because of Type2?

I’ve gone from readings of 167/117 to 119/73

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing I might add was my blood pressure was through the roof so I’ve been prescribed ramipril.

Indeed it could be. I was already on two BP meds when I was diagnosed Type 2, Ramipril and one other. Since losing weight I have come off the second one and halved my Ramipril

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Could well be linked. Many of us find that low carb decreases blood pressure, so keep an eye on it if you’re also taking meds for it. @Rachox has experience of this. My own BP decreased dramatically (details in signature) but I wasn’t on any meds.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could well be linked. Many of us find that low carb decreases blood pressure, so keep an eye on it if you’re also taking meds for it. @Rachox has experience of this. My own BP decreased dramatically (details in signature) but I wasn’t on any meds.
Beat ya!

Reactions: Nelly122

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Indeed it could be. I was already on two BP meds when I was diagnosed Type 2, Ramipril and one other. Since losing weight I have come off the second one and halved my Ramipril

Beat me to it, @Rachox ! Twice!

Reactions: Nelly122

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the site. I agree with the advice to cut carbs. My first question is - have you got a meter? If not I highly recommend that you get one. It's only by testing that you can find out how your body reacts to different foods. Stress and exercise also have an effect on your levels and I think it is useful information to have.

Reactions: Prem51 and Nelly122