Fasting blood sugar rising again

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have impaired glucose tolerance. I had a fasting blood test early this year with a 5.9 and then one later at 5.1. I bought a meter to test myself and noticed that after eating a lot of carbs (“healthy carbs like beans, whole grains, sweet potatoes) that my blood sugar would sometimes go too high.

I decided to cut down on the carbs. Eating low carb (<100 gr) my fasting blood sugar started to trend down from the 5.3 to 5.8 range I was seeing on the meter initially to the 4.4 to 4.8 range. I was happy and thought I had things in control. That lasted about two months. Lately I am no longer consistently seeing numbers in the 4s. Some days I am back in the 5s upon waking.

Eating the same things and exercising the same amount.

How long does it take to see a consistent improvement? (I am already too thin, small waist even- and can’t afford to lose weight.)

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I have impaired glucose tolerance. I had a fasting blood test early this year with a 5.9 and then one later at 5.1. I bought a meter to test myself and noticed that after eating a lot of carbs (“healthy carbs like beans, whole grains, sweet potatoes) that my blood sugar would sometimes go too high.

I decided to cut down on the carbs. Eating low carb (<100 gr) my fasting blood sugar started to trend down from the 5.3 to 5.8 range I was seeing on the meter initially to the 4.4 to 4.8 range. I was happy and thought I had things in control. That lasted about two months. Lately I am no longer consistently seeing numbers in the 4s. Some days I am back in the 5s upon waking.

Eating the same things and exercising the same amount.

How long does it take to see a consistent improvement? (I am already too thin, small waist even- and can’t afford to lose weight.)
You know that if your fasting level starts to rise again when you pull back on the carbs it might mean you're in ketosis so the pancreas gets sleepy since your diet isn't asking it to produce as much insulin but the dawn phenomenon kicks in as usual and makes the levels rise slightly with the sleepy pancreas. You probably still have excess stores that will come out till depleted. I could be wrong but that's how I understand it from what I've read about it. Diet Doctor has an article about it.

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it hard to severely limit carbs, not overeat protein and then eat enough fat to keep from losing weight. Low carb must be much easier for people who want to lose weight since some of the fat can come from their own body fat.