Diabetics R Us

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As omnivores pigs can and will eat anything. Roast beef isn’t off the menu. Probably more likely as table scraps but nonetheless still roast beef scraps.
AND why have you omitted the little pig who squealed on everyone?:)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Uh it was a quote from a Tucker Zimmerman poem hence the quotation marks.

"this little pig went to market
this little pig stayed home
this little pig ate roast beef
this little pig had none
what a load of **** (excrement)
whoever heard of a pig eating roast beef?"

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

this little pig had none
It does include a question mark though, hence my answer :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It was Tuckers question not mine. :)

If you are wondering Tucker was one of David Bowie's fave artists.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

this little pig had none

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

this little pig had none
Other people’s quotes.......the bane of the forum.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
As omnivores pigs can and will eat anything. Roast beef isn’t off the menu. Probably more likely as table scraps but nonetheless still roast beef scraps.
AND why have you omitted the little pig who squealed on everyone?:)

I have counted all my children's little toes and little fingers with this nursery song, it has brought back many happy memories and this little piggy squealed all the way home, was a big tickle, great fun, I can sing this, with actions to my baby granddaughter <3 :joyful:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Little_Piggy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

this little pig had none

Unfortunately they have eaten the hands that feed them, a framer in Oregon, 2012 and female farmer in Russia !! Scary :nailbiting:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have counted all my children's little toes and little fingers with this nursery song, it has brought back many happy memories and this little piggy squealed all the way home, was a big tickle, great fun, I can sing this, with actions to my baby granddaughter <3 :joyful:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Little_Piggy

Yup same for both both my children and my grandson and me when a babby.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Unfortunately they have eaten the hands that feed them, a framer in Oregon, 2012 and female farmer in Russia !! Scary :nailbiting:
But raw not roasted. I had a friend who was a pig farmer way back when, he said you had to be careful round them.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yup same for both both my children and my grandson and me when a babby.

I know some ( well quite a few) of the Victorian nursery stories/poems can have a dark side to them and remember so many of them too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
But raw not roasted. I had a friend who was a pig farmer way back when, he said you had to be careful round them.

No, as far as I know pigs are not chefs or have their own BBQ in the sty, pretty risky to the piggies :wideyed: but................. a nice bit of crackling :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

All the kids who grew up watching The Wizard of Oz from a very early age (I was about 2) knew what could come of falling into the pig pen! :) I had a reminder at about age 7 in the livestock barn at the local fair when I saw my first pig. It was black and looked to me as huge as a cow! I wasn't about to get close enough to see if it even had any toes, let alone count them.

I hope now that our thread has been revived it won't turn into an arena for argument about the diets of pigs. Please ...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope now that our thread has been revived it won't turn into an arena for argument about the diets of pigs. Please ...
I happen to be a member of a pastured pigs group on fb (I debated getting pigs inmy garden a couple of years ago, but got wiser) so I read quite enough arguments about pigs diets as it is, thank you.
I propose we'll only discuss diabetic pigs diets here.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Why don't pigs get diabetes?

According to the “thrifty gene hypothesis,” the global diabetes epidemic is occurring because our hunter-gatherer ancestors evolved in an environment with uncertain food availability and high demands for physical activity, whereas we live in a world with an abundance of food and decreased requirement for physical activity. However, this hypothesis does not account for the marked regional and ethnic differences in diabetes prevalence in different societies.

Consideration of hyperglycemia rates among domesticated mammals suggests that ethnic and national heterogeneity in diabetes prevalence is rooted in more recent events. Domesticated mammals are the result of generations of selective breeding that targeted a phenotype best suited for a particular task. Thus, for thousands of years, domesticated pigs and cows were selectively bred for their ability to efficiently accumulate and store energy for later consumption by humans, whereas dogs and rodent-catching cats were selected to maximize physical work and minimize consumption of food supplied by humans. Pigs and cows should therefore be protected against the toxic effects of a “diabetogenic” environment (i.e., one that favours inactivity and energy abundance), whereas dogs and cats would have no such protection when suddenly placed in a diabetogenic environment. Indeed, hyperglycemia is either unreported or extremely rare in pigs and cows and other domesticated mammals bred to accumulate energy, whereas it is relatively common in dogs and cats, which as pets are now exposed to a different environment from that for which they were bred. This suggests that it is possible for environmental pressures to select for protection against the metabolic consequences of a diabetogenic environment.

From here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1319339/

Wow I prefer the this little piggy rhyme

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually, @JohnEGreen , I wanted to give your post a blue "i" as well as the green check.

As a true daughter of my alma mater (Auburn University) I have just spent the past several minutes researching swine nutrition online. I never knew before that pig insulin was used for years by T1s and is still available.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I never knew before that pig insulin was used for years by T1s and is still available.

Hi, 30 years ago pigs saved my life, I was on pork Insulin and at that time there was beef Insulin too.
Amazing animals