Contour next one

Paulm80

Just got a free one of these through the post, looks a snazzy little machine and love how it links to phone, anyone else get one of these and are they good?
Took a quick reading and was 5.2

M

Member496333

Yes I have one. A very nice meter, but personally I found the companion app to be buggy, unreliable, irritating and not particularly useful, so I unpaired the meter from my phone’s Bluetooth. Now I just use it as a standalone device and enter my results manually into another logging app.

On the whole, I have always found the Next system to be extremely repeatable within 0.2mmol/L, so the relative accuracy for me is tip-top. This has been the case with a few of their meters, and the One is no exception. Strips are expensive, but I guess you pay your money and take your chances.

Reactions: Paulm80

Paulm80

Yes I have one. A very nice meter, but personally I found the companion app to be buggy, unreliable, irritating and not particularly useful, so I unpaired the meter from my phone’s Bluetooth. Now I just use it as a standalone device and enter my results manually into another logging app.

On the whole, I have always found the Next system to be extremely repeatable within 0.2mmol/L, so the relative accuracy for me is tip-top. This has been the case with a few of their meters, and the One is no exception. Strips are expensive, but I guess you pay your money and take your chances.

See 150 strips online for 34 £ that don’t seem to bad

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is indeed a nice meter, test strips are expensive for that meter. I do like how meters have taken a modern approach with apps and logging readings on our phones. I don’t have much experience with the app for the contour next one meter but since I’m getting a pump soon, I might look into the other contour next link meter for the closed looping system.

M

Member496333

Worth considering for those of us who are of a mind - if you use the meter paired with a phone, then your personal data is being collected, leaving your device, and then...well...it’s an individual choice whether or not anyone cares about that kind of stuff.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I won mine in a competition just after diagnosis, yes, I really did, got picked out in the draw, got it for free and everything. (!)..I loved it actually, seemed accurate, only required a small amount of blood...loved it right up until I had to pay for the strips.

Reactions: Paulm80

Paulm80

I won mine in a competition just after diagnosis, yes, I really did, got picked out in the draw, got it for free and everything. (!)..I loved it actually, seemed accurate, only required a small amount of blood...loved it right up until I had to pay for the strips.

Paulm80

Hahaha, 100for 23 quid on eBay that’s only 11.50 per box

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks Paul, I did like the Contour but the Doc gave me a cheap one for free along with monthly strips so I keep the contour as a spare.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have a contour next one but have not used for a while when I've looked on ebay the cheap strips never seem to be available or estimated times for delivery have been a bit too long.

Will look again though.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yup just ordered 100 strips for £24 off ebay not so bad.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
got one free because I thought the Bluetooth connectivity would be good to get the readings on to the phone, but didn't really find it useful in the end....I already use the contour next link with my pump, which sends the reading to the pump for bolus.....so preferred that, before the libre came....

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get my Next One test strips on prescription but did buy the first pot. Only issue I have with the meter is battery life though I think that is down do a bad batch of CR2032 batteries I have.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are Type 1 on insulin you could easily go through a box in a week. In UK you could try getting a Freestyle Libre through your diabetic clinic. An absolutely fantastic tool!

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTE="Redvee, post: 2131420, member: 429184" Only issue I have with the meter is battery life though I think that is down do a bad batch of CR2032 batteries I have.[/QUOTE]

That may be right, I have had mine Since they came out and am still on the original battery - and I test 3~4 times a day sometimes. I've had CR2032's from £1 shops and put them in watches....and they seem to last about a month..... as oppose to a couple of years.

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have one and have found it to be perfectly fine. It seems accurate and the phone compatibility is very useful as it allows me to track my Blood Glucose levels and see a pattern.