Bulgy Varicose veins. Any remedies or what treatment to look for?

Query

Hi all,
I have few bulgy varicose veins in my right leg. Near the calf area and behind the knees. It's been there for a couple of years now and it's gradually increasing. I asked my PCP once and she told me to wear compression stockings for that. I am wearing the thigh high stockings now. But I do feel some pain and heaviness in the leg at the end of the day. I do elevate my legs as much as possible.
I would like to know if anyone knows any remedies for this?
I am also planning to treat them. Before that, I would like to try some remedies if that works. I am not sure about the treatment though. Have to do research on that.
Thank you.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
There's same day walk in / walk out treatment right thru to surgery. Short remedies? Know none

D

Deleted member 308541

I would like to try some remedies if that works. I am not sure about the treatment though. Have to do research on that.
Google for Sclerotherapy, I have had this done as a outpatient in a day surgery unit. I have also had the vein in my left leg tied off in multiple place as an inpatient in a hospital nearly fifty years ago.

Both times I was a private patient and treated within one month for both, your mileage with the NHS will be different most probably.

Query

Google for Sclerotherapy, I have had this done as a outpatient in a day surgery unit. I have also had the vein in my left leg tied off in multiple place as an inpatient in a hospital nearly fifty years ago.

Both times I was a private patient and treated within one month for both, your mileage with the NHS will be different most probably.
Thank you so much. I will check it out.
I am from the US. I have to check how it's done here.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
I have few bulgy varicose veins in my right leg. Near the calf area and behind the knees. It's been there for a couple of years now and it's gradually increasing. I asked my PCP once and she told me to wear compression stockings for that. I am wearing the thigh high stockings now. But I do feel some pain and heaviness in the leg at the end of the day. I do elevate my legs as much as possible.
I would like to know if anyone knows any remedies for this?
I am also planning to treat them. Before that, I would like to try some remedies if that works. I am not sure about the treatment though. Have to do research on that.
Thank you.

Hi, Query, It is a pity you are not in the uk.
At least with very long term diabetes, i cannot fault my treatment. i had a referral to a vascular surgeon. my legs were checked - state of skin, brown coloring of the skin in certain areas, then, as it was deemed appropriate, an ultrasound angiography of the veins in my legs, which can show where the blood is not flowing properly, in my case due to weaked valves. i have been prescribed the correct compression stockings, was offered a tye of operation. i declined for the time being in order to find out how the compression stockings went. i can go back if things do not work. in my view it is best to have good diagnosis at the start of problems. The compression below knee long sox are so much better than the compression stockings i had been using for years - i imagine because they are measured up for me. I hope things work out - i was surprised, before treatment, how severely painful this condition can be, particularly in the heat

Reactions: SueO246

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that it is important for the compression stockings to be correctly measured by an appropriate expert before they are of any use, and could otherwise do more harm than good.

lindisfel

Expert
I find Mediven thigh length stockings of Amazon perfectly adequate for my needs.
The one's the nurse measured up are standard and not made to measure and were useless and acted like a tourniquet on my foot.
D.