Moving to China

AJWILMAN

Hello,

I'm a type 1 diabetic that has recently graduated from university. I came across the chance to teach English in China for a year, situated in one of the major cities, Shanghai etc.

I'm really excited about the opportunity but I can't find any information about the cost of Diabetes medication in China.

I will need access to insulin, currently using novorapid with an insulin pump but I'm willing to change to a pen if it's noticeably cheaper, and testing strips, needles etc.

I will likely be paid between £1-1.5K PM (8-13k RMB), with most of my expenses paid for. Before I accept, I need to know whether this would be viable.

If anyone has experience with these costs I would be incredibly grateful.

Thank you,

Alex

Reactions: Antje77

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I'm a type 1 diabetic that has recently graduated from university. I came across the chance to teach English in China for a year, situated in one of the major cities, Shanghai etc.

I'm really excited about the opportunity but I can't find any information about the cost of Diabetes medication in China.

I will need access to insulin, currently using novorapid with an insulin pump but I'm willing to change to a pen if it's noticeably cheaper, and testing strips, needles etc.

I will likely be paid between £1-1.5K PM (8-13k RMB), with most of my expenses paid for. Before I accept, I need to know whether this would be viable.

Thank you,

Alex
Hello, welcome and congrats on your opportunity! I think it is based on health insurance, I guess you'll have to contact or ask about what it covers. I guess in a similar way to America where you need it to access services and medication, can't comment on prices but I heard it is expensive, especially test strips. I could ask my relatives but it'll be a long shot.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello, welcome and congrats on your opportunity! I think it is based on health insurance, I guess you'll have to contact or ask about what it covers. I guess in a similar way to America where you need it to access services and medication, can't comment on prices but I heard it is expensive, especially test strips. I could ask my relatives but it'll be a long shot.

I was just going to tag you mei :) but you beat me to it.

Reactions: AJWILMAN

AJWILMAN

Hi,

Thank you! I'm hoping that medication must be reasonably affordable. I've been told that on average, foreign English teachers earn 3 to 4 times as much as their native counterparts. If diabetics over there can afford medication, I'd hope that I could

I've not really had to deal with insurance regarding my diabetes before. Is it possible to get cover that reduces the cost of medication? I didn't know if that was possible with it being a pre-existing condition.

Thanks for any more help,

Alex

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

Thank you,

Alex

Alex - You say what you expect to earn; does that mean you don't really actually know yet?

In your shoes, I would consider asking my employer if their employee package includes health care, and if so, could they allow you sight of a synopsis.

Alternatively, you could Google something like "Expat in China" or "Expat in China/Beijing (or wherever) forum". Either is likely to give you options to ask those already living there what gives.

Having travelled, quite extensively, I always use a similar search to read up on anything that interests me. There's usually quite a lot of talk related to health on those places

Good luck with it all.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'd be awfully careful without enormous research beforehand. And I've traveled a lot more than most

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Thank you! I'm hoping that medication must be reasonably affordable. I've been told that on average, foreign English teachers earn 3 to 4 times as much as their native counterparts. If diabetics over there can afford medication, I'd hope that I could

I've not really had to deal with insurance regarding my diabetes before. Is it possible to get cover that reduces the cost of medication? I didn't know if that was possible with it being a pre-existing condition.

Thanks for any more help,

Alex
Same, it's good to ask what they cover. Otherwise it'd be pretty poopie if you have insurance but they don't cover most of your items and you have to pay out of pocket for it. I know my auntie had to pay few thousand yuan for my cousin's vaccination. It is also best to ask what health care package your work place are associated with. But I know test strips are quite costly in China.