Hello everyone!

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hello! I joined the forum this morning and I am so glad I did!:)

Thought I would do a little intro/greeting here as well!

My 14 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes back in April.

Lots of ups and downs! We have learned a lot but still have a lot to learn!

I wanted to say hello and to say THANK YOU for letting me join your forum, and THANK YOU for taking the time to answer the questions on my earlier post! I really appreciate it:)

Also wanted to send a note of encouragement to anyone reading this! I hope everyone has a great rest of the day! I pray you have way more good days than bad ones!

I pray we all find ways to celebrate each win, and also to get up and keep going when things don't go how we hope!

I can sometimes be a worrier, especially when it comes to my children! But I am trying not to worry but to instead be hopeful for the best!

Praying for a cure for Type1 diabetes! And for a cure for diabetes in general! And for good control/great management for all of us dealing with this while we wait for a cure!:)

Thanks again - Have a great day!:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How is he finding it now and are you all coping as a family?

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other

We are actually doing well overall! It was quite a shock to all of us. I try to be strong for him so even when I cry, I cry by myself (or sometimes with my husband)... but I don’t like my son to see me breaking down or being worried or upset so that I don’t upset/scare him! I try to be positive and to help him navigate this!

But one day after school he was acting very sad and moody... I had a heart to heart with him and tried to encourage him. He wondered why this had to happen to him in the first place as it’s so so rare! Etc etc. I told him that I understand why he is upset, i understand why it makes him sad and angry. And I told him that it makes me sad and angry too! That even though he never saw me cry, I have cried and cried about it! But that we have to get up and keep going. So many horrible things happen in this world and we just don’t know why! But we have to keep going forward. We have to be thankful that we have the resources to manage this and we have to be thankful that he didn’t end up in the hospital fighting for his life, that we caught it early enough. We have to be thankful that we are doing well overall right now. And we have to keep trusting God with our future and hoping for the best. And I told him yes I know some days will be hard but don’t ever forget that you are not doing this alone! We are all here to figure everything out with you.

His mood vastly improved after that conversation. we had a great day after that. I am sure he still has some rough days but honestly we are doing well overall. I am very grateful for that. And I am still very hopeful for better things to come in the future!!!

Reactions: michita

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other

PS Thanks so much Diakat!! I see you’re a T1 as well. How long ago were you diagnosed? And how are you doing? :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I’m mostly doing great! It’s coming up for a decade since diagnosis. I’m happy to be alive.
Diabetes is hard sometimes but being thankful for still being here outweighs most of the rubbish bits.

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I’m mostly doing great! It’s coming up for a decade since diagnosis. I’m happy to be alive.
Diabetes is hard sometimes but being thankful for still being here outweighs most of the rubbish bits.

Glad to hear you're doing great for the most part:) Yes yes yes, so true. Big hugs to you Diakat! Cheers to being alive! :D

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Your son is very fortunate to have you- I really love how much you focus on being grateful and being hopeful for the future. Faith in action!

Welcome.

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hello and welcome,

Your son is very fortunate to have you- I really love how much you focus on being grateful and being hopeful for the future. Faith in action!

Welcome.

Thank you SO much Vashti. Very encouraging:) Thank you for the warm welcome!