JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That weight reduction is contributing to your daily carb requirement.
Just to make it absolutely clear there is no such thing as a daily carb requirement eating carbs is a choice not a necessity.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Good that you are taking LCHF diet without medicines/insulin, and it suits you. I do not like to take the LCHF diet. So I am taking my normal cooked rice-vegetable diet of 120g carbs per day. I take 30/70 premixed insulin, 40 units before breakfast and 20 units before dinner. I do not have any diabetes complications. I however, get hypos, and hypers on some days. However, the hypers get reduced to near fbg levels in 12 hours.

It takes up to12 hrs to reduce your hypers to normal levels?

That I think is something that needs to be addressed with your doctor, that isn't good no matter how you look at it. That's a big problem to have such unstable control. That is causing damage and maybe you can sort that out with your doctor.

There seems to be some inconsistencies with what you are stating. You claim in this post you don't have diabetic complications, but in post #152 (I think it is) you say that you don't have diabetic complications till now. Which one is right? You do or don't, it seems somewhat confusing to read conflicting statements like that.

You must be eating more then just rice and vegetables? Can you tell us what else makes up part of your diet?

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It takes up to12 hrs to reduce your hypers to normal levels?

That I think is something that needs to be addressed with your doctor, that isn't good no matter how you look at it. That's a big problem to have such unstable control. That is causing damage and maybe you can sort that out with your doctor.

There seems to be some inconsistencies with what you are stating. You claim in this post you don't have diabetic complications, but in post #152 (I think it is) you say that you don't have diabetic complications till now. Which one is right? You do or don't, it seems somewhat confusing to read conflicting statements like that.

You must be eating more then just rice and vegetables? Can you tell us what else makes up part of your diet?
I confirm that I do not have diabetes complications till now. I cannot predict the future. I take cooked rice-vegetables for lunch and dinner. I take vegiterian breakfast. My total carb intake is 120g per day. I take 30/70 premixed insulin 40 units before breakfast, and 20 units before dinner. With regards to, long duration of hypers only on some days is not causing any problem. To reduce the hypers if I increase the insulin dosage, I am getting into hypos. It was recommended to stop 30/70 premixed insulin, and take bolus/basal insulin. I am not able to do so as I am having gastroparesis. I cannot calculate bolus dosage 3 times a day.
As I have stated earlier, I am 80 years old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years. I am only hopeful that I continue to live the rest of my life without diabetes complications with my present diet, and insulin dosage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I confirm that I do not have diabetes complications till now. I cannot predict the future. I take cooked rice-vegetables for lunch and dinner. I take vegiterian breakfast. My total carb intake is 120g per day. I take 30/70 premixed insulin 40 units before breakfast, and 20 units before dinner. With regards to, long duration of hypers only on some days is not causing any problem. To reduce the hypers if I increase the insulin dosage, I am getting into hypos. It was recommended to stop 30/70 premixed insulin, and take bolus/basal insulin. I am not able to do so as I am having gastroparesis. I cannot calculate bolus dosage 3 times a day.
As I have stated earlier, I am 80 years old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years. I am only hopeful that I continue to live the rest of my life without diabetes complications with my present diet, and insuli dosage.

I'm under the impression you eat 2 meals a day? If so, I'm not sure why you think you need to bolus 3 times a day? Is this information you've received from your doctor? Did they recommend you stop the mixed insulin?

I also hope you can enjoy the rest of your life complication free, I'm hoping for the same. I'm pretty sure everyone would love that.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm under the impression you eat 2 meals a day? If so, I'm not sure why you think you need to bolus 3 times a day? Is this information you've received from your doctor? Did they recommend you stop the mixed insulin?
I also hope you can enjoy the rest of your life complication free, I'm hoping for the same. I'm pretty sure everyone would love that.
I take 2 meals lunch, and dinner. I also take vegeterian breakfast. My total carb intake is 120g per day. So I require to take bolus insulin 3 times a day, before breakfast, before lunch, and before dinner. The doctor recommended bolus/basal insulin, instead of 30/70 premixed insulin. After I reported problems of fixing bolus dosage, he said that I may continue with the premixed insulin, inspite of occasional long duration postprandial hypers that I may get. He said that these hypers are getting reduced to near normal fbg levels in about 12 hours, and they do not cause any diabetes complications.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
With 40g diet carbs per day for you, you are reducing your weight. That weight reduction is contributing to your daily carb requirement. So that is a gain. How long you are doing this. What is your total weight loss till now.
How long have you been using insulin?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I take 2 meals lunch, and dinner. I also take vegeterian breakfast. My total carb intake is 120g per day. So I require to take bolus insulin 3 times a day, before breakfast, before lunch, and before dinner. The doctor recommended bolus/basal insulin, instead of 30/70 premixed insulin. After I reported problems of fixing bolus dosage, he said that I may continue with the premixed insulin, imspite of occasional long duration hypers that I may get.
That is three meals per day. Whether your breakfast is vegetarian or not makes no difference, it is still a meal.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

I would remind you all that type 2s vary considerably in how their diabetes develops, progresses and how they manage it by diet, exercise and medication. There are also many, many other factors, from social, to cultural and financial.

We all make choices about how we manage our lives, and no one, absolutely no one on this forum, has the right to say what is right or wrong for each of us in our unique circumstances.

Please lets not turn this thread into a 'you are doing it WRONG' discussion. That would not be in line with the supportive nature of this forum, where forum rules B3, 4 and 5 encourage respect for others' choices, tolerance and courtesy.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to make it absolutely clear there is no such thing as a daily carb requirement eating carbs is a choice not a necessity.
Not a choice if you can't afford anything else or your culture dictates it.

M

Member496333

I just realised that 120g is also around about my carbohydrate intake.

Per month :pompous:

Reactions: Flora123

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Not a choice if you can't afford anything else or your culture dictates it.
It is still a choice to comply with cultural tradition or not also most cultures and religions make exceptions on health grounds.

I am not particularly well off many who follow low carb diets are on benefits.

The choice is in control of the individual in many places around the world insulin can be very expensive and is not provided by the state if you cannot afford a good diet how can you possibly afford insulin therapy.

Reactions: Robbity

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With 40g diet carbs per day for you, you are reducing your weight. That weight reduction is contributing to your daily carb requirement. So that is a gain. How long you are doing this. What is your total weight loss till now.
There has been no weightloss for a couple of years now.
That is why I wrote that 40 gm of carbs is part of my normal diet.
I have always been very resistant to losing weight, only eating low carb will keep me from gaining weight

Reactions: jjraak

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
What am taking is not LCHF diet. It is 120g carbs per day diet consisting of cooked rice-vegitables.
Once you have limited Carbs, its kind of Low carb diet. There is no special food for the diet, its part of normal food only, just being selective of what one wants to eat to keep himself in range of low carb figures.

Reactions: Flora123

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Once you have limited Carbs, its kind of Low carb diet. There is no special food for the diet, its part of normal food only, just being selective of what one wants to eat to keep himself in range of low carb figures.
carbs per day reflect in bg levels. The goal of low carb diet, is to control the bg levels.

Reactions: jjraak

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
carbs per day reflect in bg levels. The goal of low carb diet, is to control the bg levels.
A low carb diet is considered widely as being anything lower than ~130g - 140g per day.
The goals of LCHF way of eating is not only to control blood glucose, other goals are weight loss, the ridding of ectopic fat in the liver and surrounding the organs and (most importantly imo) to address and improve Insulin Resistance.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A low carb diet is considered widely as being anything lower than ~130g - 140g per day.
The goals of LCHF way of eating is not only to control blood glucose, other goals are weight loss, the ridding of ectopic fat in the liver and surrounding the organs and (most importantly imo) to address and improve Insulin Resistance.
I eat 120g carbs per day of cooked rice-vegetable diet. I think it is different from LCHF diet, and ketò diet.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat 120g carbs per day of cooked rice-vegetable diet. I think it is different from LCHF diet, and ketò diet.
I am 80 year old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years. With 120g per day diet consisting of one cup cooked rice and green vegetables, I do not have any diabetes complications till now.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am 80 year old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years. With 120g per day diet consisting of one cup cooked rice and green vegetables, I do not have any diabetes complications till now.
Not decrying it but as 1 cup of cooked rice is about 45 grams of carbs then you must eat an awful lot of green vegetables

Status
Not open for further replies.