You can eat your normal diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The dilemma for the caregivers of elderly T2D would be the puzzlement of continuously high glucose level while following low fat recommendations by registered dietitians and nutritionist (did he cheat his meals etc) ... and being reassured that higher glucose level is perfectly normal for elderly, we should not try too hard...while watching T2D complications pile on...it is like watching Titanic sink in slow motion...hundreds of thousands of dollars spent...

Reactions: Guzzler

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The dilemma for the caregivers of elderly T2D would be the puzzlement of continuously high glucose level while following low fat recommendations by registered dietitians and nutritionist (did he cheat his meals etc) ... and being reassured that higher glucose level is perfectly normal for elderly, we should not try too hard...while watching T2D complications pile on...it is like watching Titanic sink in slow motion...hundreds of thousands of dollars spent...

Unfortunately, many of these people probably already have complications. So it's a practice that will speed up progression, worsen symptoms and the end result is rather obvious. It is imo a poor standard of care being given to people who deserve better.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The effective intervention is resistance exercise to build up muscles to help soak up the excess glucose and an insulin sparing diet/lifestyle to return some insulin sensitivity.
And no-one tells you how very hard it is to build up muscles when they are so very insulin resistant they don't want to move and are as heavy as lead and hurt like mad* when they do move. Still struggling with that one.

(*not the word I was going to use but I didn't want to be moderated lol) .

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guesstimate that I eat no more than 100 to 130 grams of carbs per day. What I do know is that is considerably lower than I used to eat before February. By that standard my diet is a low carb diet. I dont actually know what level of carbs I was eating before but I was eating rice, pasta, potato’s, sweets, cakes, a fair number of pieces of fruit a day (practically the 7), dried fruit, porridge, plenty of fruit juice and / or fruit smoothies etc etc so it may well have been 300 to 500 grams of carbs per day.
When I have done a rough calculation of what I would normally ( and still do on occasion I know silly ) my carb intake take comes in at 500 grams or more ....including what would and is considered healthy carbs .

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They don’t really know why Metformin helps with weight loss, but the prevailing theory is it’s by reducing your appetite. It worked that way for me. Lower appetite = fewer calories consumed. That’s not inconsistent with your doctors belief, so that’s weird.
They don’t really know why Metformin helps with weight loss, but the prevailing theory is it’s by reducing your appetite. It worked that way for me. Lower appetite = fewer calories consumed. That’s not inconsistent with your doctors belief, so that’s weird.
Again metformin neither reduces my appetite nor affects my weight .

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again metformin neither reduces my appetite nor affects my weight .

Boy, it sure did for me. I was actually a little nauseated, at times cutting my meals short because of the nausea. So, maybe good it doesn’t hit you that way?

Reactions: JohnEGreen

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Boy, it sure did for me. I was actually a little nauseated, at times cutting my meals short because of the nausea. So, maybe good it doesn’t hit you that way?
It's strange how we are all different I have quite a few work friends who are diabetic and all of them started off on metformin and all said it reduced their appetites and therefore ( they lost weight ?) .The only thing it did for me initially ( esp this time on SR metformin) was give me stomach problems that seems to have settled down now ( fingers crossed ).

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
If you are a type 2 diabetic, you can eat your normal daily diet, which you are accustomed. It is not necessary to eat LCHF diet.

Technically correct if you're happy taking the necessary medication. For me the point of eating a low carb diet (<50gms carb) is that I don't have to take the medication which in the past has caused me so many problems.

Reactions: geefull

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Technically correct if you're happy taking the necessary medication.
And also don’t mind progressively getting worse over time, as expected by the medical profession when drug controlled.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
And also don’t mind progressively getting worse over time, as expected by the medical profession when drug controlled.
When drug is controlled diabetes complications also appear over time. How is it that it does not matter.

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When drug is controlled diabtes complications also appear over time. How is it that it does not matter.
I think that is what HSSS is saying. She has quoted DavidGrahamJones post and added a continuation to it. So if you are happy to get progressively worse then just take the drugs.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that is what HSSS is saying. She has quoted DavidGrahamJones post and added a continuation to it. So if you are happy to get progressively worse then just take the drugs.
It should be do not take medicines!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It should be do not take medicines!
When drug is controlled diabetes complications also appear over time. How is it that it does not matter.
@zand is correct. When read in context with the quoted posts I meant that to take meds as the only means of controlling t2 diabetes is to accept that it will get progressively worse and you are highly likely to encounter complications. To manage it by eating low carb and thus avoiding or limiting medication gives you a far better chance to not get worse and to not have complications. Imo.

@achyut1939 your posts confuse me. You start the thread by saying eat whatever you want and take drugs instead but now say drug controlled diabetes results in complications.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are a type 2 diabetic, you can eat your normal daily diet, which you are accustomed.

It is not necessary to eat LCHF diet. However, you should control the portion size of your diet to less than 120 carbs per day, and take insulin/medicines of required dosage.
This is my personal opinion only.

I am 80 years old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years.

I eat cooked rice-vegetable diet every day limiting it to 120 carbs per day.
I take 30/70 premixed insulin 40 units before breakfast, and 20 units before dinner.

My bg levels are under control, except for occasional hypers, and hypos.

My fbg varies from 70 mg/dl ( 3.9mmol) to 110 mg/dl (6.1 mmol).

My ppbg varies from 140 mg/dl ( 7.8 mmol ) to 250 mg/dl. (13.9 mmol)

The high ppbg level gets reduced to near fbg level in about 12 hours.

I do not have any diabetic complications till now. I would like to invite the opinion/comments of the other members on this.

I think with respect @achyut1939 you have outlived your T2D or at least wrestled it to a draw.

But your statement does worry me.
it's the statement of a 100 a day smoker, telling young uns that at age 80 it hasn't harmed them, so they maybe should do.

And in the case of smoking, i'm sure that has been the case on more then one occasion, despite a mountain of evidence showing otherwise.
Good genes, less polluted air, pot luck ..who knows how it works but many others wouldn't be recommending it as a real life option.

Though i do concede that may not have been your intention, as you say it was only your opinion.
and respectfully received as such.

But i would be horrified by those numbers.
and those numbers are only so good BECAUSE you take Insulin..omg

i awake most days to a 5. Or 6. point something
pre meal i test usually at 5/6 again.
post meal i always end up under 8.0..(6.8 mmol/122 mg/dl-7.6 mmol/136mg/dl)

except when i have gone off piste so far it hurts..(xma day chip buttie..13.5 mmol / 243 mg/dl :***:)
But it was THE best food i had over Chrimbo..:bag:

But to run at those numbers for 12 hours, daily...:wideyed::woot::arghh:

For me it's metformin (diabetes and other benefits), LCHF and gentle exercise and resistance training.
to my mind far healthier in the long term for many of us, new or old.

I wish you continued good health and enjoyment of your foods. @achyut1939

Namaste
Happy Ganesh Chaturthi

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think with respect @achyut1939 you have outlived your T2D or at least wrestled it to a draw.

But your statement does worry me.
it's the statement of a 100 a day smoker, telling young uns that at age 80 it hasn't harmed them, so they maybe should do.

And in the case of smoking, i'm sure that has been the case on more then one occasion, despite a mountain of evidence showing otherwise.
Good genes, less polluted air, pot luck ..who knows how it works but many others wouldn't be recommending it as a real life option.

Though i do concede that may not have been your intention, as you say it was only your opinion.
and respectfully received as such.

But i would be horrified by those numbers.
and those numbers are only so good BECAUSE you take Insulin..omg

i awake most days to a 5. Or 6. point something
pre meal i test usually at 5/6 again.
post meal i always end up under 8.0..(6.8 mmol/122 mg/dl-7.6 mmol/136mg/dl)

except when i have gone off piste so far it hurts..(xma day chip buttie..13.5 mmol / 243 mg/dl :***:)
But it was THE best food i had over Chrimbo..:bag:

But to run at those numbers for 12 hours, daily...:wideyed::woot::arghh:

For me it's metformin (diabetes and other benefits), LCHF and gentle exercise and resistance training.
to my mind far healthier in the long term for many of us, new or old.

I wish you continued good health and enjoyment of your foods. @achyut1939

Namaste
Happy Ganesh Chaturthi

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
To control type 2 diabetes your normal diet in low portions, and insulin/medicines are to be taken.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Portion control? Really?

We are all different which means that out levels of Insulin Resistance is difference. Portion control matters little if the portion is higher in carbs than one's body can tolerate.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Portion control? Really?

We are all different which means that out levels of Insulin Resistance is difference. Portion control matters little if the portion is higher in carbs than one's body can tolerate.
Portion control means eating 120g carbs per day with your normal diet.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Portion control means eating 120g carbs per day with your normal diet.
To control type 2 diabetes your normal diet in low portions, and insulin/medicines are to be taken.
But you also said taking meds means complications. So why choose the method you advocate? (Even ignoring the fact that for many of us eating 120g carbs a day would mean much higher blood glucose levels than we currently have!).

Status
Not open for further replies.