Insulin resistance in south Asian people.

SM1997

Hello everyone, I really need to ask you a favour please because this has affected the quality of my life for so long that I can’t bear with it anymore, please help.
I looked at many recent studies and all of them show that people from South Asian countries or descendants of people from that area are more insulin resistant than people who are from other parts of the world but I haven’t really managed to find a study showing *why* South Asian people produce more insulin than other ethnicities. Does anybody know why or has anyone found a study explaining why?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @SM1997

I think sometimes questions like this are impossible to answer - but I wish you luck in finding one, especially if it sheds light on how to better overcome insulin resistance.

There seem to be a number of genetic variations depending on ethnicity - sickle cell anaemia, insulin resistance, height, pigmentation levels, lactose intolerance...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello everyone, I really need to ask you a favour please because this has affected the quality of my life for so long that I can’t bear with it anymore, please help.
I looked at many recent studies and all of them show that people from South Asian countries or descendants of people from that area are more insulin resistant than people who are from other parts of the world but I haven’t really managed to find a study showing *why* South Asian people produce more insulin than other ethnicities. Does anybody know why or has anyone found a study explaining why?
Genetic profiling most likely but not all South Asian people are currently highly IR. However when some gain weight. Weight distribution due to genetics hampers IR reduction.
Bone structure and fat distribution from genetics hamper any nationality.
My family have no tall people except from my son, now.
I read only recently that tall people were at a lower risk from type2.
We cannot change our structure but I'm finding weight loss the pinnacle for IR.

Reactions: KK123 and jjraak

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
What races are considered south asians?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
What races are considered south asians?
India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bhutan constitute the Indian subcontinent; with Afghanistan and Maldives included it is more commonly referred to as South Asia. ... The terms "Indian subcontinent" and "South Asia" are sometimes used interchangeably.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

There are a lot of people who posit that changing to using modern seed oils rather than traditional ghee combined with a relatively high carb vegetarian diet may well have led to places like India having a very high proportion of T2 diabetes and IR.
That's one theory anyway..

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bhutan constitute the Indian subcontinent; with Afghanistan and Maldives included it is more commonly referred to as South Asia. ... The terms "Indian subcontinent" and "South Asia" are sometimes used interchangeably.

Maybe they have less lean body mass % in general.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been told certain ethnicities are more likely to be diagnosed with diabetes and Asian is one of them. From witnessing what they eat, they do eat a relatively high carb diet, a lot of rice, breads in combination of high fat meats, sauces etc.
I’m not south Asian, my mum is from GuangXi, China and my dad is from Hanoi, Vietnam and while we are the petite range of people, the food we eat can be quite scary. I know the vietnamese really love their pork bellies in pho and with my mum, mostly congee. We can’t forget asian desserts and sweets are loaded with sugar as well - mung bean cakes, moon cakes (especially around this time of year, mid autumn festival), coconut milk with jellies, bubble tea etc.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think a more deciding factor than ethnicity will be diet and exercise.