Type 2 Good DN review

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So saw the nurse yesterday for my diabetic review, so feet check weight check etc.
It went well.
Told her I was less than 20mg a day. She was fine with thar
Only thing she was concerned about was if I was lacking variation in my meals. Wanted to refer me to dietitian but I said no because I wasn’t adding carbs.
She was slightly concerned I hit a 3.9 that day and that I shouldn’t be going under 5 when driving. I said but that’s only on insulin and she said no that’s everyone.
She asked if I was following Michael Moseley. I said I think it was unwin.
When I said about coming off meds her face said it all but she did agree I shouldn’t be feeling ill and fired all the time.
Happy with me exercising.
Finally got to see dr and she too agreed I shouldn’t be feeling so I’ll all the time and when I said my sugars hadn’t been above 8 for last 3 weeks she agreed I could come off my meds.
Got to monitor them carefully though so if they start hitting double figures consistently then I have to go back and it will be trulicity.
Had a full on breakdown of tears at this and said I was terrified of the side effects. But she said I already have them and it won’t be like I think which is they will last for a week.

So some good news. I’m off the meds. Don’t feel especially much better this morning but I guess it’s only 1 night.

M

Member496333

Good stuff. I wouldn’t hang on every word from a DN. Or even a GP for that matter. Half the time they don’t know what they’re talking about. It’ll all unfold in front of you in the fullness of time.

I was under the impression that the five-to-drive thing only applied to those on insulin or oral hypoglycaemics. If it applies to everyone then I’m breaking the law near enough every time I get behind the wheel :shifty:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats, @Cana. What stunning results. Really well done. Very happy for you.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely work to get where you are now and that your annual review turned out so much more positive than you anticipated. Great news you are off meds. Well done.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’m not in non diabetic hba1c yet. Got next bloods in November.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Struma

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Amazing what happens when you do the opposite of eat more carbs, huh?

Congrats on a good day.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good work @Cana . Please don't get too hung up on every statement in what sounds like a busy review.

As others have pointed out the "5 to drive" isn't for everyone. If that were the case, I'd only be able to drive very shortly after meals, for a short while. Of course, for those on certain classes of medication the "5 to drive" is very much in their lives.

I'm sure you will feel liberated by the "no-meds" lifestyle, but please do be patient and allow your body a little while to adjust. Just as it took a little while for your blood numbers to start to reduce, it can take our bodies a little while to adjust to not having the pharmaceutical support of meds. Stick with it, and don't panic.

If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest you begin to build yourself a little portfolio of go-to/working/days out/special days food choices, or meals, so that you can begin to relax a bit and have some variety. I'd go insane having the same meals too often. I do have pretty well the same brekkers daily, but that's about it.

You could easily do something on an A4 sheet, divided into quarters, with Breakfasts, Lunches/Picnics/Dinners/Specials or Treats, the just scribble options as you think of them. Then, on those "Meh, I can't think of a single delicious thing I'd like to eat" days (and we all have them from time to time), you've at least got a few suggestions for yourself.

We also use an App called CopyMeThat, which is a free recipe aggregator, where you can store recipes from almost all websites, plus add your own. You can add tags for "beef, lamb, pork, low carb, dessert, condiment, sauce, slow cooker" and so on, and you can make your own searchable tags. Over time, for me, that overtook the A4 sheet, and we now have 417 recipes in there. Not all are LC, as some are more partner-centric, but they're just not tagged LC, Keto or the like, so they can just be filtered out.

Maybe have a look? https://www.copymethat.com/ You can share recipes with friends, and with their permission, look at others' files. I love it.

For clarity, I have suggested CopyMeThat to many on here. I have zero association with the App, it's owners or developers. I just found it via another foodie group and found it worked for me.

Reactions: mojo37

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was under the impression that the five-to-drive thing only applied to those on insulin or oral hypoglycaemics. If it applies to everyone then I’m breaking the law near enough every time I get behind the wheel :shifty:
I agree. I am breaking the law also and so is virtually everyone else who does not have diabetes.

M

Member496333

Amazing what happens when you do the opposite of eat more carbs, huh?

Congrats on a good day.

Opposites seem to be the way to go entirely when it comes to the world of nutritional health and/or diabetes management/prevention/reversal. Just do and eat the precise polar opposite of all conventional wisdom in order to promote good health. I beat my diabetes by doing the literal opposite of everything I was ever told by everyone :hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations, @Cana , hope you;ll continue to have such wonderful results without your meds!

And it isn't even 5 to drive in the UK. It's 4 to drive but eat something when below 5.

Reactions: KK123

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Good work @Cana . Please don't get too hung up on every statement in what sounds like a busy review.

As others have pointed out the "5 to drive" isn't for everyone. If that were the case, I'd only be able to drive very shortly after meals, for a short while. Of course, for those on certain classes of medication the "5 to drive" is very much in their lives.

I'm sure you will feel liberated by the "no-meds" lifestyle, but please do be patient and allow your body a little while to adjust. Just as it took a little while for your blood numbers to start to reduce, it can take our bodies a little while to adjust to not having the pharmaceutical support of meds. Stick with it, and don't panic.

If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest you begin to build yourself a little portfolio of go-to/working/days out/special days food choices, or meals, so that you can begin to relax a bit and have some variety. I'd go insane having the same meals too often. I do have pretty well the same brekkers daily, but that's about it.

You could easily do something on an A4 sheet, divided into quarters, with Breakfasts, Lunches/Picnics/Dinners/Specials or Treats, the just scribble options as you think of them. Then, on those "Meh, I can't think of a single delicious thing I'd like to eat" days (and we all have them from time to time), you've at least got a few suggestions for yourself.

We also use an App called CopyMeThat, which is a free recipe aggregator, where you can store recipes from almost all websites, plus add your own. You can add tags for "beef, lamb, pork, low carb, dessert, condiment, sauce, slow cooker" and so on, and you can make your own searchable tags. Over time, for me, that overtook the A4 sheet, and we now have 417 recipes in there. Not all are LC, as some are more partner-centric, but they're just not tagged LC, Keto or the like, so they can just be filtered out.

Maybe have a look? https://www.copymethat.com/ You can share recipes with friends, and with their permission, look at others' files. I love it.

For clarity, I have suggested CopyMeThat to many on here. I have zero association with the App, it's owners or developers. I just found it via another foodie group and found it worked for me.

Thanks I’ll take a look. It’s not so much lack of recipes it more can’t be bothered. If someone made it I’d be happy to eat it.
The thought of cooking and then cleaning up is the issue. My burgers are ace because it’s soo quick.

I just have no inclination to do anything. Even work is difficult. All I want to do is be at home and crochet! Which is probably not helping the memory issue!!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Opposites seem to be the way to go entirely when it comes to the world of nutritional health and/or diabetes management/prevention/reversal. Just do and eat the precise polar opposite of all conventional wisdom in order to promote good health. I beat my diabetes by doing the literal opposite of everything I was ever told by everyone :hilarious:

In general I agree, even with an insulin deficiency I still follow the opposite of dietary guideline advice. It keeps my insulin use much lower then it would be following 50 yr old detrimental advice. Which I prefer to call economic guideline advice.... sell more grains etc keeps the food industry happy etc. In my experience the worst dietary advice (after 50 yrs of in and out of hospitals because of cystic fibrosis) comes from doctors and then very closely followed by dieticians.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Thanks I’ll take a look. It’s not so much lack of recipes it more can’t be bothered. If someone made it I’d be happy to eat it.
The thought of cooking and then cleaning up is the issue. My burgers are ace because it’s soo quick.

I just have no inclination to do anything. Even work is difficult. All I want to do is be at home and crochet! Which is probably not helping the memory issue!!

Perhaps cook some extra meals and freeze them for those days when you don't feel like lifting a finger, not sure that appeals to you, but I have done that from time to time and it works ok for me. Even just cooking enough for the next meal ahead can be worthwhile sometimes....

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Got to monitor them carefully though so if they start hitting double figures consistently then I have to go back and it will be trulicity.
Had a full on breakdown of tears at this and said I was terrified of the side effects. But she said I already have them and it won’t be like I think which is they will last for a week.

So some good news. I’m off the meds. Don’t feel especially much better this morning but I guess it’s only 1 night.

I think you have to give yourself some time to adjust to being off the meds and not fret about levels, they may or may not change, but give yourself some time to adjust to a new situation. Give yourself time to make adjustments to any possible level changes. When things change, you make changes, I wouldn't be rushing onto a new drug treatment before giving yourself the chance to settle into a new normal and be comfortable with it. If you know what I'm saying?

Not trying to persuade you one way or the other. Good luck, hope things work out well for you.

M

Member496333

If I'm feeling lazy or short on time I just have cold cuts, cheese, pre-prepared gooey-centre hard-boiled eggs. That sort of thing. I eat raw liver and steaks, too, but obviously that's not going to appeal to most. No need for fancy shmancy recipes if you're not in the mood. Simple real food is surprisingly delicious. I don't even use any herbs, spices or seasoning these days besides salt.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Perhaps cook some extra meals and freeze them for those days when you don't feel like lifting a finger, not sure that appeals to you, but I have done that from time to time and it works ok for me. Even just cooking enough for the next meal ahead can be worthwhile sometimes....

I used to. But this is an every weekend thing now. Just can’t be bothered. No idea why. It started in the months before diagnosis and hasn’t disappeared.