Type 2 Good DN review

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I’ll take a look. It’s not so much lack of recipes it more can’t be bothered. If someone made it I’d be happy to eat it.
The thought of cooking and then cleaning up is the issue. My burgers are ace because it’s soo quick.

I just have no inclination to do anything. Even work is difficult. All I want to do is be at home and crochet! Which is probably not helping the memory issue!!

Oh trust me, Cana, I have been known to reject a recipe on the basis of too much fafffff or too many ingredients.

Coming into winter, this is where a slow cooker or pressure cooker comes in incredibly handy. I call my pressure cooker a fast, slow cooker, and my approach is one of "lob it and leave it". In other words, lob everything in, turn it on, then ignore it whilst it does it's magic.

With many pressure cookers, you can cook straight from frozen, so I can lob in a couple of chicken bricks, or even a whole chicken and cook from that iced state. That is so, so handy when one realises dinner is still frozen.

Of course it has also led to a few "brown block surprise dinners", where I take out a container of chilli, casserole or curry, only to find, when defrosted and cooked, it's actually something else.

If I'm on my own, and fancy chilli,, I can take a brown brick out of the freezer, put it in the pressure cooker, and it'll be piping hot in about 15 minutes. That works for me on a "Meh", or "feed me right now" day

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Oh trust me, Cana, I have been known to reject a recipe on the basis of too much fafffff or too many ingredients.

Coming into winter, this is where a slow cooker or pressure cooker comes in incredibly handy. I call my pressure cooker a fast, slow cooker, and my approach is one of "lob it and leave it". In other words, lob everything in, turn it on, then ignore it whilst it does it's magic.

With many pressure cookers, you can cook straight from frozen, so I can lob in a couple of chicken bricks, or even a whole chicken and cook from that iced state. That is so, so handy when one realises dinner is still frozen.

Of course it has also led to a few "brown block surprise dinners", where I take out a container of chilli, casserole or curry, only to find, when defrosted and cooked, it's actually something else.

If I'm on my own, and fancy chilli,, I can take a brown brick out of the freezer, put it in the pressure cooker, and it'll be piping hot in about 15 minutes. That works for me on a "Meh", or "feed me right now" day

I think I may have to start that again but just the thought puts me off.

I’ll buy the ingredients then get to the Saturday and not use them because I simply can’t be bothered.

Occasionally I’ll manage it. But not often.

Hoping coming off tablets will get me out if this funk. But not sure they will given I was like it before.

I basically need someone to come and cook for me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I may have to start that again but just the thought puts me off.

I’ll buy the ingredients then get to the Saturday and not use them because I simply can’t be bothered.

Occasionally I’ll manage it. But not often.

Hoping coming off tablets will get me out if this funk. But not sure they will given I was like it before.

I basically need someone to come and cook for me.

If that's the case, why not maybe have a cooking day, say, once a month. I know I groan on and on about it, but I can a 6 portion batch of chilli, casserole, curry or whatever in about an hour. I can then just decant and start the next batch., then I have 6, 18, 18 or however many portions of good nutritious food that I know exactly what's in it.

During the hour that the, say, curry is cooking, I can be weighing or just eyeball portioning out the ingredients for the next thing.

You can use frozen chopped onion, frozen peppers, frozen veg, or a chicken is about £3.50, and yields several meals, plus the potential for stock or soup.

If I'm having a cooking day, I just ensure I've got some decent music - whether from iPlayer or or broadcast from our phones.

I haven't done it for a while, but a bring a dish dinner can fill the fridge when our friends can't be bothered to take ny leftovers away!

Do you have any friends who love to cook? Sometimes having someone round when we're doing things means we're getting stuff done, whilst having a great gossip, and the reward is something to eat at the end of it all?

Reactions: HSSS

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
If that's the case, why not maybe have a cooking day, say, once a month. I know I groan on and on about it, but I can a 6 portion batch of chilli, casserole, curry or whatever in about an hour. I can then just decant and start the next batch., then I have 6, 18, 18 or however many portions of good nutritious food that I know exactly what's in it.

During the hour that the, say, curry is cooking, I can be weighing or just eyeball portioning out the ingredients for the next thing.

You can use frozen chopped onion, frozen peppers, frozen veg, or a chicken is about £3.50, and yields several meals, plus the potential for stock or soup.

If I'm having a cooking day, I just ensure I've got some decent music - whether from iPlayer or or broadcast from our phones.

I haven't done it for a while, but a bring a dish dinner can fill the fridge when our friends can't be bothered to take ny leftovers away!

Do you have any friends who love to cook? Sometimes having someone round when we're doing things means we're getting stuff done, whilst having a great gossip, and the reward is something to eat at the end of it all?

I have frozen onions and garlic.

I have my cookbooks out. Need to make real effort this weekend.

If I was to make a bolognaise in slow cooker how do you not add too much liquid? I always thought there needed to be loads do did t dry out and burn etc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have frozen onions and garlic.

I have my cookbooks out. Need to make real effort this weekend.

If I was to make a bolognaise in slow cooker how do you not add too much liquid? I always thought there needed to be loads do did t dry out and burn etc

You'd be surprised how much liquid most meats release - If a batch calls for 1 can of chopped tomatoes, say, just do maybe half or two thirds, unless it's a specific slow cooker recipe. If you find something like bolognaise transpires to be a bit sloppy, just turn up your slow cooker to as hot as it'll go, if you can adjust it, but either way just take the lid off and let some fluid reduce off.

I was smiling earlier writing about bring a dish get togethers. In my world, they're usually a bunch of girlfriends (whilst the chaps do other stuff). People are very generous and hate to cook too little. Most times I've ended up with more food left over after everyone's had their fill.

I must call a kitchen table dinner soon. :)

I often do this chilli (which I find is really quite hot, so be carefulli f you decide to give it a go, and don't have asbestos taste buds). It is thick and hearty, and doesn't have any thickeners in it.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/low-carb-chili-in-crock-pot-or-instant-pot-paleo-gluten-free/

If you compare the two methods on the recipe, you'll see how much time the Instant Pot can save.

Just to add, I love my instant pot (erm,........ we actually have two) and bleat on about it a lot, but I'm not an employee or affiliated in any way.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You'd be surprised how much liquid most meats release - If a batch calls for 1 can of chopped tomatoes, say, just do maybe half or two thirds, unless it's a specific slow cooker recipe. If you find something like bolognaise transpires to be a bit sloppy, just turn up your slow cooker to as hot as it'll go, if you can adjust it, but either way just take the lid off and let some fluid reduce off.

I was smiling earlier writing about bring a dish get togethers. In my world, they're usually a bunch of girlfriends (whilst the chaps do other stuff). People are very generous and hate to cook too little. Most times I've ended up with more food left over after everyone's had their fill.

I often do this chilli (which I find is really quite hot, so be carefulli f you decide to give it a go, and don't have asbestos taste buds). It is thick and hearty, and doesn't have any thickeners in it.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/low-carb-chili-in-crock-pot-or-instant-pot-paleo-gluten-free/

If you compare the two methods on the recipe, you'll see how much time the Instant Pot can save.

Just to add, I love my instant pot (erm,........ we actually have two) and bleat on about it a lot, but I'm not an employee or affiliated in any way.

I just ordered an instant pot. Had slow cooker and pressure cooker and added all ingredients for that paste you linked in.

Have to cook now to justify buying it

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

IMG_0539.jpg

Reactions: Krystyna23040

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good stuff. I wouldn’t hang on every word from a DN. Or even a GP for that matter. Half the time they don’t know what they’re talking about. It’ll all unfold in front of you in the fullness of time.

I was under the impression that the five-to-drive thing only applied to those on insulin or oral hypoglycaemics. If it applies to everyone then I’m breaking the law near enough every time I get behind the wheel :shifty:
I think numbers only apply if using insulin as most people don't test.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think numbers only apply if using insulin as most people don't test.
Nope. Not in here. And only true in the wider world because Many hcp will tell type 2 not to test but it’s the best way to see the effect different foods have.

Edit to clarify my meaning
No numbers don’t apply to only those on insulin
Most people (t2) in here (or certainly did test initially) to establish high foods are good and which are not.

Last edited: