MS or nerve pain and how Myelin is important in protecting nerve responses.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I find I get periods of jerky movements and twitches on my low fat diet consumption.
Just been reading how....

Many studies have shown that using nutritional support with lipoic acid 300 mg 2x day, Acetyl-L-Carnitine 2,000 mg a day, Inositol (500-1,000 mg a day), and vitamins B6 (50-100 mg a day) and B12 can actually help heal the nerves and decrease or eliminate the pain.

Sooooo I'm going back on my R-ala supplements next week. I will report back here my findings.

I currently have numbness and tingling with severe uncomfortable nerve pain in my right side baby toes/ foot and stabbing scatica pain and numbness in my right bum and behind upper right leg from nipped nerve in my S1. Additionally weakness and pain in raising or using right arm and insufficient strength in my right arm. I hug my arm to my body to finger type this on moderate/severe pain relief. This has been diagnosed as a nerve in my neck causing these symptoms.
I believe restarting R-ala will improve my symptoms and numbness which can cause abnormal gait and needing aided walking. On flat surfaces I can manage alot better but walking on any incline it strains my core muscles and I get back muscle spasms.

I'm not prepared to eat a high fat diet so no nagging about changing to full fat diets. Sorry but I just add weight on any variation. I've tried lchf but resulted in ME getting palpitations.
I'm 3mths in after Roux-en-y bariatric operation (which instructed good quality multivitamins and minerals plus seperate Iron and D3) which has resulted in a 4st weight loss in these 3mths.
My back has not improved nor nerve symptoms.
I will refer back to my medical carers in mid November (2019) for more assistance with my back with additional weight loss and need for my second B12 injection.
Thanks in advance for any comments on this new thread.

Editted to add.
https://biostrap.com/blog/how-to-increase-myelin/#targetText=Omega-3 Fatty Acids&targetText=Healthy fats play an important,the fatty texture of myelin.

Last edited:
Reactions: SueO246

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Hi @ickihun . I am taking ALA at the suggestion of a diabetic nurse. My family doctors had never heard of it. The nurse said that I could take up to 1800 mg per day. A naturapath doctor suggested 2x300 mg R-ALA but this did not work for me. I take 4x400 mg of the non-R a day and I know within an hour if I have missed a tablet. I look forward to hearing how the other supplements help you. The ALA helps reduce the pain but does not seem (after 9 months on 1600 mg per day) to be healing the nerves in my feet.

Reactions: SueO246

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @ickihun . I am taking ALA at the suggestion of a diabetic nurse. My family doctors had never heard of it. The nurse said that I could take up to 1800 mg per day. A naturapath doctor suggested 2x300 mg R-ALA but this did not work for me. I take 4x400 mg of the non-R a day and I know within an hour if I have missed a tablet. I look forward to hearing how the other supplements help you. The ALA helps reduce the pain but does not seem (after 9 months on 1600 mg per day) to be healing the nerves in my feet.
What other supplements do you take?

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
The naturopath also recommended Enzyme Q-10, This was quite low priced for 6 months supply but doesn't seem to be doing anything. I'll finish the bottle and see what happens.
Meanwhile I am searching for a 'cure' for the neuropathy that is very painful but no numbness in my feet yet. I do some acting and singing so need to have my feet working properly to stand all the time. I also worked in, and for a short time owned; a health food store so I know the importance of careful research and good information in choosing appropriate supplements.
Look forward to hearing how "Acetyl-L-Carnitine 2,000 mg a day, Inositol (500-1,000 mg a day), and vitamins B6 (50-100 mg a day)" work for you. I already take B12 and my B12 blood count is very normal.