Chia seeds - why are they high in carbs

Saur

Hi all;
I followed a receipe for Chia seeds with 1.5 cups of coconut milk & half cup of double cream. Followed by cinnamon, vanilla essence, one teaspoon of sweetener and half cup of chia seeds. I made them hot in the pan. Taste is really nice and cream. I read one serving is 14 carbs. Would that be correct. I want to cut on carbs and need low receipe. Please help if you do have ideas.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi all;
I followed a receipe for Chia seeds with 1.5 cups of coconut milk & half cup of double cream. Followed by cinnamon, vanilla essence, one teaspoon of sweetener and half cup of chia seeds. I made them hot in the pan. Taste is really nice and cream. I read one serving is 14 carbs. Would that be correct. I want to cut on carbs and need low receipe. Please help if you do have ideas.
The chia seeds I currently use say 6.7g carbs/100g. Previously I have used ones at 4.5g. I suppose it depends on the type and source.
Anyway, not too much to worry about, especially if you use them sprinkled on other meals, as I do.
I find the combination of magnesium citrate and chia seeds works well for constipation.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Worth testing your personal reaction to chia seeds with your glucometer.
A good portion of chia seed pudding used to have zero impact on my blood glucose levels - at which point, the number of carbs in it is irrelevant.

Saur

Worth testing your personal reaction to chia seeds with your glucometer.
A good portion of chia seed pudding used to have zero impact on my blood glucose levels - at which point, the number of carbs in it is irrelevant.
I have checked my blood sugars, it hasn’t made a difference, which is good news.

Reactions: Guna108

Saur

The chia seeds I currently use say 6.7g carbs/100g. Previously I have used ones at 4.5g. I suppose it depends on the type and source.
Anyway, not too much to worry about, especially if you use them sprinkled on other meals, as I do.
I find the combination of magnesium citrate and chia seeds works well for constipation.
Thankyou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all;
But please remember that is 100g of chia seeds. That’s a big amount!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Eggs however you like.
Tofu scramble.
Avocado.
Cheese.
Quorn sausages.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the first time I made the Chia seeds. It was divided into two portions. I will try with smaller portions.
Combine them with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, a few almonds, walnuts etc with a little milk. Heat it in a microwave, add some frozen blueberries or raspberries to cool it down. You can add a tablespoon of coconut flour to make it thicker. Add a dollop of coconut oil and enjoy! It’s easier if you soak the seeds in a little water overnight. You can work out the total carb by weighing each ingredient and recording it for future.

Saur

Combine them with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, a few almonds, walnuts etc with a little milk. Heat it in a microwave, add some frozen blueberries or raspberries to cool it down. You can add a tablespoon of coconut flour to make it thicker. Add a dollop of coconut oil and enjoy! It’s easier if you soak the seeds in a little water overnight. You can work out the total carb by weighing each ingredient and recording it for future.
Thankyou so much. I have never added sunflower or pumpkin seeds before. A few more trips to supermarket/health shop for these ingredients.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachel, Can I leave the egg out. I am going to be on a vegetarian food next week for 9 days for religious reasons. Or can you recommend alternative for eggs
The egg is important to make the porridge ‘set’. I’m sorry I thought eggs were allowed on a vegetarian diet.