London visit

Good morning everyone!
I'm traveling to London next month (first overseas trip) and I was wondering if any of you had recommendations of things to see. I was hoping for some non touristy things, restaurants, parks, hiking, bookstores-whatever!! Our hotel is in the Marylebone area. Any advice on handling the time change with my pump would be welcome too. Like I said this is my first time traveling out of the country! Thank you

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, @Katied.clark88 , I don't know where all our London based members are hiding, but will bump this up to see if anyone responds.

Are you going to be just in London? There are lots of other interesting places. As a northerner, I could recommend plenty.

Hello, @Katied.clark88 , I don't know where all our London based members are hiding, but will bump this up to see if anyone responds.

Are you going to be just in London? There are lots of other interesting places. As a northerner, I could recommend plenty.
Thank you!!! As of right now, most of the planning we have done keeps us around the city (we are hitting the big touristy spots and going up to Warner Brothers for the Harry Potter Tour). But that's kind of why I was looking for some opinions. There's so much we could see, it's hard to narrow it down. We'd definitely consider a day trip out of the city though. Again, there is just so much to see, it's hard to choose!
Thank you again!

Reactions: Pipp

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd have a word with @Clivethedrive as I understand he regularly takes groups of people around different places in London. He may know of some less well known places to visit.

I'm sure he will pick up on this soon.

Enjoy London it's fantastic

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've come a bit late to the party on this, but I have a couple of thoughts.

Go to Speaker's Corner at Hyde Park on a Sunday afternoon - anybody can speak on any topic. This carries risks (there's the usual cadre of racists and homophobes) but there are also some amusing speakers and brilliant hecklers.

Try one of the learned societies. For example, the Royal Society of Arts in John Adam Street has lectures every week, on a wide variety of subjects, and admission is free.

Have a stroll along the Thames, particularly the South Bank. If you start at Waterloo Station, you can go east, toward the Tate Modern gallery, the Globe Theatre and maybe take in Borough Market, or west towards Vauxhall, past Lambeth palace and the MI5 (intelligence service) HQ, which is in a mad modern building. Alternatively stay at Waterloo and visit the National Theatre. There's usually a free exhibition of some kind in the Foyer. Most of the big National Galleries are free to enter, and several contain pictures of International fame and importance.

That's a few thoughts off the cuff - hope you're still here, and enjoying yourself.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS Foyles bookshop in the Charing Cross Road is worth a look. It used to be famously eccentric - you had to queue three times to buy a book and it used to be a Mecca for shoplifters (erm, allegedly ) because they never had a clue what they had in stock - but it's still impressive, albeit rather more conventional than it once was. The Muswell Hill Bookshop, in North London, is one of the best bookshops in the country but it's a bit of a schlep from the centre of Town. Worth it, if you have the time.

mouseee

Borough market for street food. It's on the south bank along with these...

Check the National Theatre website as you can see some amazing things from £15.

And the Tate modern is there too.

One of my fav ways to spend an afternoon in London.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone!
I'm traveling to London next month (first overseas trip) and I was wondering if any of you had recommendations of things to see. I was hoping for some non touristy things, restaurants, parks, hiking, bookstores-whatever!! Our hotel is in the Marylebone area. Any advice on handling the time change with my pump would be welcome too. Like I said this is my first time traveling out of the country! Thank you

If your hotel is near Marylebone, check out either the Regent’s Canal or Grand Union canal for some great walking and photo opportunities.