1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

London visit

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Katied.clark88, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Katied.clark88

Katied.clark88 · Member

Good morning everyone!
    I'm traveling to London next month (first overseas trip) and I was wondering if any of you had recommendations of things to see. I was hoping for some non touristy things, restaurants, parks, hiking, bookstores-whatever!! Our hotel is in the Marylebone area. Any advice on handling the time change with my pump would be welcome too. Like I said this is my first time traveling out of the country! Thank you

2. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello, @Katied.clark88 , I don't know where all our London based members are hiding, but will bump this up to see if anyone responds.

Are you going to be just in London? There are lots of other interesting places. As a northerner, I could recommend plenty.

3. Katied.clark88

Katied.clark88 · Member

Thank you!!! As of right now, most of the planning we have done keeps us around the city (we are hitting the big touristy spots and going up to Warner Brothers for the Harry Potter Tour). But that's kind of why I was looking for some opinions. There's so much we could see, it's hard to narrow it down. We'd definitely consider a day trip out of the city though. Again, there is just so much to see, it's hard to choose!
    Thank you again!

• Like Like x 1
  4. wolfie11969

wolfie11969 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'd have a word with @Clivethedrive as I understand he regularly takes groups of people around different places in London. He may know of some less well known places to visit.

I'm sure he will pick up on this soon.

Enjoy London it's fantastic

• Like Like x 2
  5. Katied.clark88

Katied.clark88 · Member

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it!

6. jay hay-char

jay hay-char Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've come a bit late to the party on this, but I have a couple of thoughts.

Go to Speaker's Corner at Hyde Park on a Sunday afternoon - anybody can speak on any topic. This carries risks (there's the usual cadre of racists and homophobes) but there are also some amusing speakers and brilliant hecklers.

Try one of the learned societies. For example, the Royal Society of Arts in John Adam Street has lectures every week, on a wide variety of subjects, and admission is free.

Have a stroll along the Thames, particularly the South Bank. If you start at Waterloo Station, you can go east, toward the Tate Modern gallery, the Globe Theatre and maybe take in Borough Market, or west towards Vauxhall, past Lambeth palace and the MI5 (intelligence service) HQ, which is in a mad modern building. Alternatively stay at Waterloo and visit the National Theatre. There's usually a free exhibition of some kind in the Foyer. Most of the big National Galleries are free to enter, and several contain pictures of International fame and importance.

That's a few thoughts off the cuff - hope you're still here, and enjoying yourself.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. jay hay-char

jay hay-char Type 2 · Well-Known Member

PS Foyles bookshop in the Charing Cross Road is worth a look. It used to be famously eccentric - you had to queue three times to buy a book and it used to be a Mecca for shoplifters (erm, allegedly ) because they never had a clue what they had in stock - but it's still impressive, albeit rather more conventional than it once was. The Muswell Hill Bookshop, in North London, is one of the best bookshops in the country but it's a bit of a schlep from the centre of Town. Worth it, if you have the time.

8. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

Borough market for street food. It's on the south bank along with these...

Check the National Theatre website as you can see some amazing things from £15.

And the Tate modern is there too.

One of my fav ways to spend an afternoon in London.

9. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

If your hotel is near Marylebone, check out either the Regent’s Canal or Grand Union canal for some great walking and photo opportunities.

10. Waynesterw7

Waynesterw7 · Member

Camden is very trendy for music, bars or of course the market

11. vasilievnaaaa

vasilievnaaaa · Newbie

this is an amazing city and I dream of living there

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook