Rapid heart beats - can't sleep.

Emmaayziing

Have you considered that it may be an anxiety related issue? People who have anxiety often find night time to be the most difficult as it is then where we are lying in bed mulling over everything going on in life. I know that when my anxiety was untreated I could reach heart rates of 110bpm, which again felt like a hypo was coming on but my bloods would be fine. Now I have to check when I feel my heart rate increase to find out if I'm just feeling anxious or if it is indeed a hypo, since the symptoms overlap! It could be worth trying some meditation or relaxation yoga before you pop off to sleep to see if this helps. Also a mug of chamomile tea! Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Mandysmith

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all
These all sound cardiac related, particularly electro cardiac. I have AF which causes all the above symptoms but now I'm on insulin are all 10x worse and leave me breathless which rather precludes work!! No one knows what to do cos the cardiologists say it's insulin related so talk to your GP, the GP says it's cardiac so talk to your cardiologist. Anyone any suggestions???

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed about 15 months ago, but I can say that i have had what you were experiencing for as long as I can remember. I have had racing heart beats, missed beats, weird groupings of what seems like 2-4 beats really fast, then a gap and then back to normal.. I have had the works lol

Last December i saw my doctor and thought 'Maybe this is from my newly diagnosed diabetes?' and i was put on a heart rate monitor for 3 days full, and they also did a bunch of other tests.. I got back the results and was told everything was totally normal.

The problem isn't what my heart was doing, but that i was sensitive enough to notice is what i was told.

When you look up these issues you will find they are VERY common, usually benign, and always kinda frightening lol
They aren't said to be an issue until a person experiences something like 20,000+ missed/racing beats each day...

What you are experiencing is more then likely caused by anxiety (as was mine), they get more prominent with mild stress, or lack or sleep, or poor diet, and then people start to notice them, and that makes them more stressed out and then they get worse, and that circle continues for a while.

The key is to take your vitamins, sleep lots, and be healthy. When they happen and you notice something strange just take a breath- laugh it off and move on with life or sleep lol

If its really bad you can see a doctor but without a long serious of tests, you will likely not see a result, but you may get drugs out of it lol

If it gets very intense then certainly see someone, but if its just a quick wake up and then back to bed it may just be stress.

Reactions: 2 people

aidanbrown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too am having this problem, I was only diagnosed a month ago but this is waking me up at 2am every single night and it takes me over an hour to get back to sleep.

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
I have the same heart flutter, so bad sometimes it makes me gasp. Going to gp tomorrow to see if he can shed any light on it. Hoping to avoid any medication. Mine is worst when I stop and become aware of my heart beat. Will let you know what he has to say.
So,saw GP. He says nothing to worry about. Didn't even take my blood pressure! Says it is quite normal and not to worry.
Has ordered an ECG just to be sure.
Sigh

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Diamattic

Tsitsi2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too can relate, for me it was even worse during pregnancy, I had to sleep seated cause it was getting worse when lying down, the did all the checking and stuff, there was nothing wrong, they said its enxiety..... At times I Thot I was having a heart attack or something since I also had chest pains.

LukeDaniel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This might be a long shot, but your electrolytes might be low. Both diabetes and people with chronic diarhea
are at risk of having low electrolytes. For the last ten years I was very short of breath, had night sweats,
and had trouble sleeping. One day, after almost going to the hospital because my heart was pounding hard and
I had trouble breathing, I drank a large cup of readycare 2.0, which is like Boost or Ensure. Withing 1/2 of an
hour my heart was normal and I was no longer short of breath. By the way, my blood tests did not show that
I was low in my electrolytes, but none the less I was. For diabetics it is probably better to drink Glucerna, which
is designed for a diabetic because it has slow release carbs, and less sugar.

At any rate, I know it sounds far fetched, but before I could barely walk, had night sweats and had trouble sleepping,
Now I feel like I could run a short marathon. If anyone reads this and is having troubles like I use to have, you
having ablsolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Also I am going to have my Hormones checked as I might be having Male Menopause.

I am a type two diabetic for 10 years going.

Good Wishes
LukeDaniel
Missouri
USA

Desplantes

Hi everyone new to forum...ive had rapid heart beat. Lite headedness sweating when im eating...never had this feeling before. Has anyone felt this before?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone new to forum...ive had rapid heart beat. Lite headedness sweating when im eating...never had this feeling before. Has anyone felt this before?

Hi @Desplantes ,

Welcome to the forum. Are you diagnosed diabetic?

Please tell us a little more?