Can’t sleep for thinking of other diseases

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hey,
I have no idea if anyone else has fears of developing heart disease or any other disease this condition brings, for me, I sometimes lay away at night and think I’m going to have a heart attack in the middle of the night or if I have a sore left upper arm I think this is it it’s happening, I have a constant fear this will happen. Doesanyone else have these thoughts or is it just me? X

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Deborah 85

Sorry to hear about this. Are you having symptoms that trigger the sleepless nights, or is this something that’s worrying you more generally? In either case it might be as well to have a chat with your GP to see if they can help.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya,
No not having any symptoms I’m just constantly worried that I’m going to end up having a heart attack ir that something is wrong with my heart. I have a GP appointment in a few weeks but in general it scares me.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It sounds like some form of anxiety - talk it through with your GP at the appointment so they can make an informed judgement.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Very sorry to hear this. I think we all have these fears to some extent. For example my own fear is Alzeimer's disease. When I can't recall the name of someone I know well or I do something really stupid, like search for a shoe I actually have in my hand - is it absent-mindedness or something more sinister? However, your anxiety seems to be greater than transient fears and talking to your GP about them is a sensible step.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do the best you can; don't worry about the rest.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you in good control of your diabetes or is it controlling you? If it’s the latter it may be fuelling your anxiety. If control isn’t great how about being proactive by reducing numbers, then the risks are greatly reduced. You have that power. So much fear is created by the stats often quoted but they apply to badly controlled/undiagnosed diabetics in the main. Please chat to your dr but always keep reminding yourself that good control = lower risks.

And to be honest almost everyone has some form of risk of something. It’s about finding a way to keep that in perspective that works for you. Other areas of stress and worry in life can also leak over into health anxiety too. If that’s the case can you address those?

aard

no even though i do have other things which mean i have greater chance of heart attack. However I do worry about leg amputations and diabetes!!!

Mike Sixx

Hiya,
No not having any symptoms I’m just constantly worried that I’m going to end up having a heart attack ir that something is wrong with my heart. I have a GP appointment in a few weeks but in general it scares me.
I am pretty sure there will by symptoms. I been told by by my doctors that the nerves in feet and toes are first to go, then eyes. You would have serious vascular problems problems in your feet. So the heart is not first to go.

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like an anxiety thing, speak to your Dr. Anxiety can really get a hold on you and you can end up in a cycle that's is not good for you. Talk to someone and get some support it's hard enough and scary enough having diabetes without developing a health anxiety

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I am terrified of everything at the moment. I'm terrified of having a heart attack and losing my sight. And everything is just so unknown. I'm 33

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I am terrified of everything at the moment. I'm terrified of having a heart attack and losing my sight. And everything is just so unknown. I'm 33
I am also terrified of everything. I am having symptoms as well. A stay in hospital for 3 days and antibiotics medicines changed everything for me at 29. My body is very sick.