Increased carbs = increased exercise?

Elpurple

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think exercises for diabetes are meant that way. We still have to mind our carbs.

If you can't resist the urge to eat the carbs that comes with the roast, I suggest eating only very small portions of it. But do you have the self-control to limit yourself to a small portion? Once we cross a threshold, it usually leads to downfall. That's how it usually starts with falling off the wagon.

The ideal would be to have side dishes that are diabetic-friendly.

Surprisingly I had a roast the other day, I had one and a half roast potatoes (each was maybe a quarter or less of a normal size potato) and didn’t want any more. Instead o stocked up on low carb veg and was absolutely satisfied

Reactions: angustia

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do love a steak!

Finding it hard to adjust to the idea I may never be able to have a roast again or a piece of cake. Trying to think of ways I can still have them occasionally
It is daft to tell yourself you will never enjoy a roastie again. You can have a spud and then a brisk post prandial walk home. Check if your blood sugars have come down into the normal range before you eat and again 2 hours after lunch and the walk. If they haven't then perhaps you'd need to reduce your portion next time OR get around the block again! Alternatives could be running up down the stairs a few times, lovemaking or gardening.
The other way to be able to tolerate the odd roastie is to increase your muscle mass and therefore insulin sensitivity.

Elpurple

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is daft to tell yourself you will never enjoy a roastie again. You can have a spud and then a brisk post prandial walk home. Check if your blood sugars have come down into the normal range before you eat and again 2 hours after lunch and the walk. If they haven't then perhaps you'd need to reduce your portion next time OR get around the block again! Alternatives could be running up down the stairs a few times, lovemaking or gardening.
The other way to be able to tolerate the odd roastie is to increase your muscle mass and therefore insulin sensitivity.

Thank you, that’s a really helpful response. My bloods are still higher than they should be but they are coming down.

I didn’t know about increasing muscle mass. So if I start doing more weights at the gym then that will help? I assume any exercise that helps build muscle will help?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, that’s a really helpful response. My bloods are still higher than they should be but they are coming down.

I didn’t know about increasing muscle mass. So if I start doing more weights at the gym then that will help? I assume any exercise that helps build muscle will help?
Hi. Yes. I am a trainer and I'd advise working the large muscles groups in the range 8-15 repetitions x 2-3 sets at a weight which fatigues the muscles. Twice a week to see results and get a trainer to help you if you are not confident with your technique!
e.g. leg press OR squats or lunges
Shoulder press or kettle bell swings
Lat pull down OR assisted pull up or deadlifts
Chest press OR push ups
Noe that bgs can rise immediately after this type of exercise but won't remain elevated unless you reward yourself with a roastie!

Reactions: Elpurple

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s been a nightmare. Quoted over £700 by one company and they wouldn’t cover either of us for anything heart related for that, me due to diabetes, wife due to a heat murmur they discovered when she was 18, even though she’s 53 and had zero problems with it (only remembers she’s got it when she fills out forms such as our travel Insurance.

Got it for £307 in the end with full cover for everything including my list of 17 pre existing conditions, which I thought reasonable.

I don’t intend to go carb mad, don’t know why I put beer in my previous post, it’s more the odd ice cream and a few margaritas, likewise I won’t eat any bread, but when out as their restaurants, depending on the place, I will treat myself to a few carbs here and there :)

Hi there, we have been to Disney World countless times and you will find PLENTY of tasty, low or lower carb food. Even in the parks there are salad, veg and meat options and burgers galore (without the bun if you like). There are massive turkey legs being sold every 5 minutes and yes, you can get ice creams or ice lollies if you decide you want one. There are steaks all over the place, in other words there are loads of low carb options. You will have fun, doing 20 thousands steps a day will help offset that ice cream too. Don't worry, with a little bit of care you can choose wisely. x

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only if you start exercising whilst eating your dinner. :)
Otherwise the carbs will spike your BG which is what does the damage.
You can help to bring your BG down after a meal by exercise such as brisk walking, but it is probably better in the long run not to have the BG spike in the first place.
Can you let me have the evidence that says it is the post meal spike which 'does the damage' verses a higher average BG level.
I am trying to understand how regular meal spikes (say over 11.1) are bad if they reduce quickly by exercise to 'normal fasting levels of 5.5 or lower.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It can be very tough giving up our carb addiction, and for many type 2 is is just that. One bite and off we go.
But I stay focused because I watched my mother develop complications from refusing to give up carbs. And I have a friend in hospital this week about to lose part of one foot, who still snacks on bread and jam some days :(
Sounds harsh? But that is the likely outcome of avoiding the carbs=high blood sugars message, unfortunately a message some in the NHS haven't heard yet as they still believe that type 2 is nearly always progressive.
But I challenge you: to think about foods you have thought you 'should' avoid in the past that we eat on low carbs diets, such as bacon or cheese or cream, and ways round missing your favourite foods. Good luck!
There have been some good suggestions about adapting a roast dinner - I usually have chicken or turkey with loads of green veg and cauliflower ''mash'. And meat juices over the veg or butter.
But I found it easier to give up potatoes as my carb loves were elsewhere.

I coped by finding new foods and new recipes to enjoy, although first I thought about the foods I would miss most and found substitutes for those. But substitutes I could enjoy so it wasn't all miserable 'I can't eat ...'
I switched from milk chocolate to a small amount of 85% or stevia sweetened chocs, I gave up rice and pasta (and potatoes) and most wheat products (I have a small slice of low carb/high protein bread toasted with butter once or twice a week) - but I love cauliflower rice now, so that is the staple base for curries and stir fries, and I make a simple keto microwave bread for cheese sandwiches.
And I tried out some of the low carb baking recipes, although I mostly just do coconut pancakes or a keto mug cake once a week - and in rhubarb season almond 'flour' makes a good rhubarb crumble!
And my usual pud now is full fat greek yogurt with raspberries, or just raspberries with double cream - bliss.

And the other benefit - apart from an incredible drop in my HbA1C and now nearly 6 st weight loss - I can eat cheese every day if I want to! something I always missed when trying to lose weight in the past.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For some it's the pasta, for others it's the pizza, or the rice, or the ice cream. Etc..,

I think, it is very important to identify our weak spots right from the start, and find the resolve to do something about them. Those will be our stumbling blocks, therefore they have to be tackled.

Elpurple

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you let me have the evidence that says it is the post meal spike which 'does the damage' verses a higher average BG level.
I am trying to understand how regular meal spikes (say over 11.1) are bad if they reduce quickly by exercise to 'normal fasting levels of 5.5 or lower.

I would be interested in knowing this as well.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-much-damage-does-one-spike-cause.128313/ discusses this further.

I have had a brief look on t'Internet but the first few hits do not fill me with confidence in their scientific rigour.

"Spikes are bad" is something that I have read repeatedly (especially from people querying HbA1c as definitive) but today I can't track down a research source.

It does seem logical that having a steady BG between 6 and 7 is better than getting the same HbA1c when going between, say, 3 and 12 but I'll have to look further for information.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, we have been to Disney World countless times and you will find PLENTY of tasty, low or lower carb food. Even in the parks there are salad, veg and meat options and burgers galore (without the bun if you like). There are massive turkey legs being sold every 5 minutes and yes, you can get ice creams or ice lollies if you decide you want one. There are steaks all over the place, in other words there are loads of low carb options. You will have fun, doing 20 thousands steps a day will help offset that ice cream too. Don't worry, with a little bit of care you can choose wisely. x

Hehe, I have difficulty walking 40 yards, I know the parks are big, but I won't be rushing around all over the place sadly.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hehe, I have difficulty walking 40 yards, I know the parks are big, but I won't be rushing around all over the place sadly.

Hi there, if you find walking difficult you can hire one of their wheelchairs or their sit on and drive vehicles, they are very much geared up for those who have mobility problems. x