Erectile issues

Parki1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type one just over a year ago and I'm having erectile issues and it's a struggle.

Any suggestions as my doctor just keeps saying come back in 8 weeks or it could be mental.

Only thing I've noticed in my bloods is poor kidney function and low hdl levels.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type one just over a year ago and I'm having erectile issues and it's a struggle.

Any suggestions as my doctor just keeps saying come back in 8 weeks or it could be mental.

Only thing I've noticed in my bloods is poor kidney function and low hdl levels.

I cant believe a doctor wouldn't investigate further it's absolutely terrible I think you should change doctors.

Parki1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He checked my testosterone and such, but I thought the blood checks were quite basic. Then said it has to be in my mind and sent me for councelling. They said I was fine and I honestly feel okay in general. I think my issue seems to be blood flow.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He checked my testosterone and such, but I thought the blood checks were quite basic. Then said it has to be in my mind and sent me for councelling. They said I was fine and I honestly feel okay in general. I think my issue seems to be blood flow.

It seems to be a mystery. I hope you find out what it could be. Diabetics do have issues with erectile dysfunction and such as my doctor has told me.

Reactions: Parki1979

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Parki1979 - You refer to your bloods, saying your kidneys might be struggling a bit? Whilst I'm not suggesting that in particular is related to you erectile issues, if your blood sugars are running high, that certainly be in the mix.

What sort of blood glucose levels are you seeing routinely?

Good luck with it all.

Parki1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sugars are okay for type 1 as I have an hba1c of 46. They were high before diagnosis as I had a dka and problems since then at least. My kidney function was a lot worse when I was in hospital, but it's improved a bit since then.

My bloods are generally in range and I'm getting better as I'm getting more used to things now.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sugars are okay for type 1 as I have an hba1c of 46. They were high before diagnosis as I had a dka and problems since then at least. My kidney function was a lot worse when I was in hospital, but it's improved a bit since then.

My bloods are generally in range and I'm getting better as I'm getting more used to things now.

In that case, it could be (purely speculation on my part - obviously) that your GP is expecting your erectile issues will resolve themselves as your health, and maybe stress levels (being fairly newly diagnosed) reduce.

As I say, that's purely speculation on my part.

Parki1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what prompted me really to see him as I was diagnosed and had the dka June of last year, so I was hoping my body would have settled down now.

I am hoping my kidney function settles or improves further. My ldl is good and I'm trying to work on my hdl by having more good fats and such.

My gp usually is dismissive but if I go back again I probably need to push him.

I suppose in time things may get better, but at the moment I don't know whether to be hopeful or not.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what prompted me really to see him as I was diagnosed and had the dka June of last year, so I was hoping my body would have settled down now.

I am hoping my kidney function settles or improves further. My ldl is good and I'm trying to work on my hdl by having more good fats and such.

My gp usually is dismissive but if I go back again I probably need to push him.

I suppose in time things may get better, but at the moment I don't know whether to be hopeful or not.

Please don't consider my thoughts as at all dismissive, but I'm sort of guessing your (quite natural) concerns may not helping your recovery. So much about those special times is being relaxed and enjoying yourself.

Stick with it.

Parki1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh it's not your thoughts as I'm looking for any kinds of input.

I think a few months ago I put pressure on myself to get better and that didn't help me at all. My main worry is that I won't get sorted, but as you say negative thoughts and anxiety over it will make things worse.

It's not just as special times as I haven't bothered for a while and I woukdnt now as not right, and that would add even more pressure, its just I don't have any desires or get anything. I think it's my blood flow as I really struggle when I prick my fingers too.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh it's not your thoughts as I'm looking for any kinds of input.

I think a few months ago I put pressure on myself to get better and that didn't help me at all. My main worry is that I won't get sorted, but as you say negative thoughts and anxiety over it will make things worse.

It's not just as special times as I haven't bothered for a while and I woukdnt now as not right, and that would add even more pressure, its just I don't have any desires or get anything. I think it's my blood flow as I really struggle when I prick my fingers too.

Stress can creep up on us without us really realising. My OH is very good at reining me if if I'm getting a bit tight about something or the other, but sometimes I know I've been a bit grumpy over whatever the scenario is, but not that it's spilling over onto other things.

Over the years, in a very big job, I learned a few techniques for chilling a bit.

I have an old personalised hypnotherapy CD I have converted to MP3, on my phone, so I can dip in or out of that as I feel might or might not need it. I understand there are some great relaxation Apps in iTunes or the Play Store, and many are free.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's just a way of breaking cycles,.... maybe.

Parki1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried the headspace app on my phone for the mediation but I don't feel anxious or stressed anymore. I just thought I'd try just to see as I could have been without realising. I just do it more occasionally now as a good practice as I think it has to do some good to take some time each day. Like you say perhaps sometimes you need someone to tell you if you are acting differently as you don't always notice yourself.

Reactions: DCUKMod

MetabolicJim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I probably shouldn’t offer any advice because I’m not a doctor. ED could be a sign of something serious cardiovascularly for all I know.

Anyway, have you checked your vitamin D? I found out last summer that I was low on vitamin D. My sex drive had been virtually absent over the winter. When I started sunbathing and supplementing it came back. Of course I was making numerous other changes to my diet and exercise so I can’t be sure. Anyway if you’re not supplementing I would imagine it’s low risk for most people. You can pick up tubs of 25ug D3 in most supermarkets. Do you think it’s the drive that’s missing or is the mind willing but the body weak?

Parki1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My vitamin d was on the low side and I have been supplementing for a couple months. I feel my libido is less but when it is there then there is nothing. I have low hdl and poor kidney function but I am not sure if they are contributing.

Kelly0144

hi, this is quite common for men unfortunately. As for some sildenifil

Parki1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't realise it was common. I thought the symptoms woukd have come much later as only had type 1 for just over a year. I have tried sildefin but the side affects put me off but Ciallis I don't really get any.

margamandan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi parki,

I'm no expert but you may have been prediabetes for a long time before diagnosis? I was, it took at least ten years (a very stressful time) of me saying something was feeling wrong with me, to my doctors, before I was so far gone I was very ill and finally diagnosed.

In my experience, a year of being diagnosed may not be an accurate figure of how long you may have actually been a diabetic.

Just a suggestion, and sorry to hear of your concerns, hopefully it's just stress related dealing with t1, and all it brings, and time and settling in with it help!