1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Erectile issues

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by Parki1979, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Parki1979

Parki1979 Type 1 · Member

I was diagnosed with type one just over a year ago and I'm having erectile issues and it's a struggle.

Any suggestions as my doctor just keeps saying come back in 8 weeks or it could be mental.

Only thing I've noticed in my bloods is poor kidney function and low hdl levels.

2. UsmanMo96

UsmanMo96 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I cant believe a doctor wouldn't investigate further it's absolutely terrible I think you should change doctors.

3. Parki1979

He checked my testosterone and such, but I thought the blood checks were quite basic. Then said it has to be in my mind and sent me for councelling. They said I was fine and I honestly feel okay in general. I think my issue seems to be blood flow.

4. UsmanMo96

UsmanMo96 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It seems to be a mystery. I hope you find out what it could be. Diabetics do have issues with erectile dysfunction and such as my doctor has told me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

@Parki1979 - You refer to your bloods, saying your kidneys might be struggling a bit? Whilst I'm not suggesting that in particular is related to you erectile issues, if your blood sugars are running high, that certainly be in the mix.

What sort of blood glucose levels are you seeing routinely?

Good luck with it all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Parki1979

My sugars are okay for type 1 as I have an hba1c of 46. They were high before diagnosis as I had a dka and problems since then at least. My kidney function was a lot worse when I was in hospital, but it's improved a bit since then.

My bloods are generally in range and I'm getting better as I'm getting more used to things now.

7. DCUKMod

In that case, it could be (purely speculation on my part - obviously) that your GP is expecting your erectile issues will resolve themselves as your health, and maybe stress levels (being fairly newly diagnosed) reduce.

As I say, that's purely speculation on my part.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Parki1979

That's what prompted me really to see him as I was diagnosed and had the dka June of last year, so I was hoping my body would have settled down now.

I am hoping my kidney function settles or improves further. My ldl is good and I'm trying to work on my hdl by having more good fats and such.

My gp usually is dismissive but if I go back again I probably need to push him.

I suppose in time things may get better, but at the moment I don't know whether to be hopeful or not.

9. DCUKMod

Please don't consider my thoughts as at all dismissive, but I'm sort of guessing your (quite natural) concerns may not helping your recovery. So much about those special times is being relaxed and enjoying yourself.

Stick with it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Parki1979

Oh it's not your thoughts as I'm looking for any kinds of input.

I think a few months ago I put pressure on myself to get better and that didn't help me at all. My main worry is that I won't get sorted, but as you say negative thoughts and anxiety over it will make things worse.

It's not just as special times as I haven't bothered for a while and I woukdnt now as not right, and that would add even more pressure, its just I don't have any desires or get anything. I think it's my blood flow as I really struggle when I prick my fingers too.

11. DCUKMod

Stress can creep up on us without us really realising. My OH is very good at reining me if if I'm getting a bit tight about something or the other, but sometimes I know I've been a bit grumpy over whatever the scenario is, but not that it's spilling over onto other things.

Over the years, in a very big job, I learned a few techniques for chilling a bit.

I have an old personalised hypnotherapy CD I have converted to MP3, on my phone, so I can dip in or out of that as I feel might or might not need it. I understand there are some great relaxation Apps in iTunes or the Play Store, and many are free.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's just a way of breaking cycles,.... maybe.

12. Parki1979

I have tried the headspace app on my phone for the mediation but I don't feel anxious or stressed anymore. I just thought I'd try just to see as I could have been without realising. I just do it more occasionally now as a good practice as I think it has to do some good to take some time each day. Like you say perhaps sometimes you need someone to tell you if you are acting differently as you don't always notice yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook