Carbs and Rice - cooked or uncooked weight?

DaveH2

I am about to start cooking, but I have no idea how carbohydrates are measured in rice!

I have a limit of 100g of carbs per day.

The packet says 100g of rice contains 78g of carbohydrates. This falls within my daily limit, so all good there!

However, I can't find any info anywhere on whether the 100g of rice is its dry, uncooked weight or the weight after it has been cooked?

If it is dry, then that's easy enough - just weigh 100g of rice and then cook it. If it is the cooked weight, then how much dry rice produces 100g of cooked rice?

Having just recently being diagnosed, there is sooooooo much I have to learn!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am about to start cooking, but I have no idea how carbohydrates are measured in rice!

The packet says 100g of rice contains 78g of carbohydrates. This falls within my daily limit, so all good there!

However, I can't find any info anywhere on whether the 100g of rice is its dry, uncooked weight or the weight after it has been cooked?

If it is dry, then that's easy enough - just weigh 100g of rice and then cook it. If it is the cooked weight, then how much dry rice produces 100g of cooked rice?

Long grain white rice is about 80% carbs dry and 28% carbs cooked. If you Google Tesco Basmati rice for example you will get the information you need.

Reactions: DaveH2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Most of the nutrition information for foods will be the raw version so the rice will be uncooked.

DaveH2

Long grain white rice is about 80% carbs dry and 28% carbs cooked. If you Google Tesco Basmati rice for example you will get the information you need.

OK, I've just measured out 100g of uncooked rice and it looks like a normal me-sized portion.

I'm so happy, because I've basically been eating sausage, bacon and eggs for the last few days.

I guess that being newly diagnosed, it is all a learning process and the lack of readily available info is frustrating.

No doubt, I'll look back on this stupid rice question in a few months and think to myself how naive I was!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, I've just measured out 100g of uncooked rice and it looks like a normal me-sized portion.

I'm so happy, because I've basically been eating sausage, bacon and eggs for the last few days.

I guess that being newly diagnosed, it is all a learning process and the lack of readily available info is frustrating.

No doubt, I'll look back on this stupid rice question in a few months and think to myself how naive I was!

Rice is a starchy food along with potatoes, bread, and pasta and will convert to glucose once eaten. It really should not be forming part of your eating plan. It will spike your blood sugars far too high. This is where your own meter is essential by testing before you eat and 2 hours after first mouthful. You may have a shock. Quite honestly, your fry ups are much better for you. You can eat any meat or fish (without any coatings) with vegetables cooked any way you like using meat juices or butter instead of gravy. It doesn't have to be sausage and egg!
If you MUST have rice, then a very small portion would be advisable.

Hotpepper20000

For me it’s not just about how many carbs in one thing. Also what it is.
I can not eat any grains no matter the amount with out spiking BG and taking hours to come back down. I found this out by testing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hopefully you'll look back and say I don't eat rice any more...especially at 78g per 100g.. that's more that I have in a week!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you have 80g out of your 100g daily allowance that will only leave you 20g for the rest of the day. I keep to a moderately low carb diet of about 70g per day, I don't eat the high carb stuff like rice, potatoes, pasta and bread which leaves me with plenty of scope for other things. I suggest you look into cauliflower as an alternative to rice.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

This might be of help:

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/rice/carbohydrate

If you must eat rice, hopefully you eat regular brown rice as it is lower in carbs (compared to white), and it gives some fiber.

Yes, there's also the spiking - you have to test if it spikes you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DaveH2 - Others have answered your initial question, but rather than necessarily counting your carbs each day, it could be really helpful for you to spend a period of time self-testing your blood glucose levels to discover how whatever you eat impacts your bloods.

Having been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, and an A1c of 42 (which is literally the diagnostic floor), so it could well be you don't actually have to give up too much to get yourself into the diagnostic comfort zone. It could be you just need to eat a bit less of these things.

For me, the biggest impact in my blood sugars and my understanding was self-testing. That way I got real-time, personalised feedback I could consider and act upon.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

You raise an obvious point I hadn’t considered. Thanks.

DaveH2

Rice is a starchy food along with potatoes, bread, and pasta and will convert to glucose once eaten. It really should not be forming part of your eating plan. It will spike your blood sugars far too high. This is where your own meter is essential by testing before you eat and 2 hours after first mouthful. You may have a shock. Quite honestly, your fry ups are much better for you. You can eat any meat or fish (without any coatings) with vegetables cooked any way you like using meat juices or butter instead of gravy. It doesn't have to be sausage and egg!
If you MUST have rice, then a very small portion would be advisable.

I don't *need* rice. Really, I'm just looking for something to bulk up my meal with. Three slices of bacon, three sausages and three eggs is OK once in a while, but (if nothing else) it has already got a bit boring.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't *need* rice. Really, I'm just looking for something to bulk up my meal with. Three slices of bacon, three sausages and three eggs is OK once in a while, but (if nothing else) it has already got a bit boring.
I empathise with your thinking. It is difficult I know. I have managed to eliminate rice and it does reduce my options at mealtimes. Nowadays I tend to add a wedge of Brie or some cauliflower rice. Tonight I had home cooked chill con carne but without rice at all. I have grown used to it but understand your thinking.

DaveH2

@DaveH2 - Others have answered your initial question, but rather than necessarily counting your carbs each day, it could be really helpful for you to spend a period of time self-testing your blood glucose levels to discover how whatever you eat impacts your bloods.

Having been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, and an A1c of 42 (which is literally the diagnostic floor), so it could well be you don't actually have to give up too much to get yourself into the diagnostic comfort zone. It could be you just need to eat a bit less of these things.

For me, the biggest impact in my blood sugars and my understanding was self-testing. That way I got real-time, personalised feedback I could consider and act upon.

Yes - I've ordered a glucometer, but have to wait (up to) 28 days for delivery. If I recall correctly, it is a "capture next"

I was reading somewhere on this website that different foods affect different people differently. At the moment, I'm eating as few carbs as possible, but I think even if adversely affects my sugar levels in the short term it is worth trying different foods and testing my levels to see how it goes :)

DaveH2

I empathise with your thinking. It is difficult I know. I have managed to eliminate rice and it does reduce my options at mealtimes. Nowadays I tend to add a wedge of Brie or some cauliflower rice. Tonight I had home cooked chill con carne but without rice at all. I have grown used to it but understand your thinking.

My first post-diagnosis meal was chilli, cheese and guacamole with no rice - I'd usually have huge amounts of rice with chilli!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My first post-diagnosis meal was chilli, cheese and guacamole with no rice - I'd usually have huge amounts of rice with chilli!
Me too. They go together well. But I have drawn a line across rice with my meals.
Interestingly my wife always ate tons of it. We were buying it by the 10kg sack full. As far as we know she doesn’t have diabetes but she is overweight now to a point where she wants to do something about it. She now understands the starch and sugar thing and has cut right back on her rice intake. I hope she keeps it up.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The key is to concentrate on the things you can eat rather than worry about what you have to give up. Recently @Rachox gave a good example of what a low carb meal could look like with her roast dinner, perhaps she would post the picture again.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Mr_Pot, here’s the picture of my Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago, total carb count for the main and dessert was around 15g carbs. (Gravy was meat juices thickened with milled flax seed and the dessert was a Hartleys sugar free jelly with cream and a sprinkling of low carb chocolate granola)
B24FCFD4-F74C-4695-AF84-6B406F39F657.jpeg