Type 1'stars R Us

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m given my own room for exams, in case I need to attend to D matters. I guess that’ll make things calmer and I won’t be distracted by others huffing and puffing in the background when they get to a tricky bit! I can have a ten minute break every hour if I want... all I asked for was to keep my watch, phone and dextrose on me. Hey ho.

TBH it isn't just for your benefit (although it does work out quite well for you) - if you were in the main exam hall and your gadgets started going off etc. you're disturbing every one else..........but I am amazed they're letting you keep your mobile phone.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Madam BG just in range but would like to get it stable at the lower end. I'm always uncertain about whether to bolus for it in the morning especially as I know my liver dumps without fail. I don't eat breakfast. What does everyone do?
My liver has dumped every day without fail upon getting out of bed, so I can rely on it to do so every morning. I decided glucose in my bloodstream from my liver isn't different from glucose in my bloodstream from food so I inject for it before getting out of bed.
It's usually the only bolus for hours, as I tend to have my breakfast around lunch time or later.
My consultant was horrified when I told her I bolus daily without food before my bg goes too high, but the Libre graphs won that argument.

I wouldn't do it if my feet on the floor effect wasn't so consistent.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been having a few lows at the most annoying times recently, like just before dinner/supper/tea (which I can account for), or like this morning which I can't really account for other than maybe the change of weather/season is affecting my basal levels........

My sister txt me last night to suggest a pub meet on Sunday (my long gone Dads birthday), especially as they have renamed his old local pub back to what it used to be - so it now turns out we're now turning the clocks right back and doing what use to be our family's traditional Sunday ritual and on his birthday - except Mum won't be cooking the full roast dinner (she's also long gone), I will, she taught me well though! Really looking forward to it. :D

Dabootie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke up a bit late today on an 8.7, less than an hour later up to 12.4....that’s some liver dump. Have hit it hard and now slowly sipping my coffee waiting for it to come down a bit so I can have some breakfast. Late shift today so probably on a rollercoaster.

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Like Kim Possible my liver dumps aren’t predictable which is especially tricky if the happen when I’m driving or in the middle of doing something that’s equally taking all my attention. I feel extraordinarily cheerful if I catch them in time, and cross if I’ve tried to preempt too early and have to treat a low. Just one more T1 thing to utter mod delete words about.
The no food on trains thing could be difficult. It’s not made clear if it’s no food on the drinks trolley or if it’s no food to be carried by passengers. What about a long journey? Wouldn’t it be better to sell food in stations and on trains that aren’t loaded with ‘unhealthy’ ingredients? IMO a public transport food ban wouldn’t tackle obesity if it weren’t part of a nationwide approach to food, the circumstances that lead to obesity, the food vendors, of all kinds, and the ingredients that are used to create food.
If this (fairly slim) old biddy were tackled about eating a lunch she’d already dosed for on a train then she’d explain in a calm and clear manner what a really bad, possibly aggressive, certainly embarrassing hypo looks like. She’d also ask how many train personnel carry glucagon with them.

Reactions: Marie 2 and slip

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I guess it is a bit easier with a pump.
I test when I wake and correct if slightly over.
The variable basal on my pump will handle the liver dumps.
I eat breakfast and bolus for that once I am properly awake, showered and dressed.

Before the pump, I would do a first thing correction if I needed 1 unit or more.
And, if I did not breakfast, I would correct rather that preempt a liver dump.
This was mainly because the liver dump was not predictable (it may have been related to the previous day's exercise but I never did detailed analysis).
Thanks. It's another positive bit of info on the value of the pump but also useful to know what you used to do.
I think the idea of banning food even on local trains is ridiculous

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My liver has dumped every day without fail upon getting out of bed, so I can rely on it to do so every morning. I decided glucose in my bloodstream from my liver isn't different from glucose in my bloodstream from food so I inject for it before getting out of bed.
It's usually the only bolus for hours, as I tend to have my breakfast around lunch time or later.
My consultant was horrified when I told her I bolus daily without food before my bg goes too high, but the Libre graphs won that argument.

I wouldn't do it if my feet on the floor effect wasn't so consistent.
Thanks, useful. When I did DAFNE, I was told definitely not to bolus without food I don't know why. Anyway I've started to do it again because of consistent liver dumps. Totally agree with you @Antje77 that glucose if glucose not matter the source

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning everyone. The forecast looks OK so a bit of mud gardening may be on the cards and possibly get some bulbs planted.
Madam BG just in range but would like to get it stable at the lower end. I'm always uncertain about whether to bolus for it in the morning especially as I know my liver dumps without fail. I don't eat breakfast. What does everyone do?
I just take the equivalent of 15g carbs worth of insulin as soon as I get up, I don’t eat breakfast either.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
TBH it isn't just for your benefit (although it does work out quite well for you) - if you were in the main exam hall and your gadgets started going off etc. you're disturbing every one else..........but I am amazed they're letting you keep your mobile phone.
I’m happy to hand over the SIM card and have them watch any time I need to adjust something. I probably won’t need to, it’s all a just in case kind of arrangement.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The fiend can heal you.
IMG_20191010_123328.jpeg

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Delticmatt100 I wasn't going to say this but I can't stop myself.................

well at least you're looking better in your recent photo than in your hospital bed avatar................................:hilarious:

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ert sorry to hear of your issues at Heathrow. I would say that i am surprised at this as Heathrow is one of the busiest airports in world, surely they would have had many people going through with Libre and pumps as well.

I have a letter from my hospital advising about Libre and also my pump. I went through Security at Stansted, explained about my pump, handed them my letter and i was taken slightly to one side and scanned with a hand detector.

Anytime i have gone through Glasgow airport if the alarm goes off, i just explain about my Libre and it is OK . Surprisingly maybe, it does not always go off

Reactions: ert

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
My experience of Heathrow is mixed. Some security guys seem very familiar with diabetes tech; some have no idea but ask their colleagues; and one told me I chose to have diabetes to make my and their life difficult.
Ah, is the old media mix up of T1 types and all the other types to blame?
If you were to choose a new moniker for T1 what would you call it (in serious mode - we’ve all got a variety of likely-to-be-moderated names)?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Ya girl a bit unwell today - I was fighting hypos last night so lack of sleep. This morning I was 4.1, libre said stable and I took my basal then went back to sleep. Few hours later, I felt even more rubbish and diabetes was 1.9. Now I have to do another basal test because that’s a big jump with just basal on board. Maybe it needs a change because I’m a bit active now with work.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With 4.1, it wasn’t quite hypo, libre said stable and I thought my liver was going to do something but it didn’t. I said to myself “girl you aren’t safe at 4.0-4.5mmol”