Jardiance (empagliflozin)

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

Just an update following my recent post....had an appointment with the diabetic nurse who stated that my blood sugar levels wouldn't go too low or high with taking Metformin. So my hot flushes are menopausal. She was going to increase the Metformin and I said I didn't want to so she prescribed and the GP authorised a new medication called Jardiance (empagliflozin). Never heard of this so would value your opinions. I have read the side effects and am unsure!

Millie74

I have taken this and have a monitor. The only problem is that the post meal readings have been higher as have had to re-introduce carbs. SGLT2s aren’t suitable on a low carb diet. Tonight I had steak and a few diced potatoes. 2 hours after my meal reading was 9.6. On a low carb meal and metformin only it’s usually only around 6 post meal.

Reactions: WhiskySmile

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is crazy - just what are they thinking?
Maybe they'll tell you not to test - no more high readings - must be good.
Oh - actually - not.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Carries higher risk of genital fungal infections, Fourniers necrosis and recurrent urinary tract infections.

Millie74

That is crazy - just what are they thinking?
Maybe they'll tell you not to test - no more high readings - must be good.
Oh - actually - not.
I’m going to go back to metformin and the low carb. It’s because I have only achieved a hba1c of 56mmol on low carb and metformin that Jardiance was suggested. But I can now see that as I have to increase carbs for the Jardiance, if I carry on like this I think the hba1c will be higher next time. I will go back to metformin/ low carb tomorrow. Problem is next hba1c will be in 8 weeks. Not sure if it will be any better. Then either Jardiance or another drug will be suggested. She has mentioned Gliclazide and Sitagliptin.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is true and a worry
There's also the higher risk of DKA while normoglycaemic.

All those on the SGLT2s should not only test blood glucose levels but test for ketones, too.

Reactions: Millie74

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A BG level of 6 is firmly in the normal range - if you can maintain that sort of control during the next 8 weeks you should have no worries.

Millie74

A BG level of 6 is firmly in the normal range - if you can maintain that sort of control during the next 8 weeks you should have no worries.
Thanks. I’ll give it a go. I am more like to achieve 6/7 after lunch and dinner. It is breakfast that I am struggling with. Greek yoghurt and ten raspberries has ranged 2 hours post meal from 6.7 to 9.4. I think it depends on my fasting bg. That ramges from 4.5 to 8.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - breakfast for me is usually more meaty than yoghurt, which is more likely to be late evening dessert - I am more resistant in the mornings, even now. My 'fruit' of choice in the mornings is a tomato.
I think that an average of just over 8 is still in the sub diabetic range of Hba1cs, so if you can stick to lower levels you should be fine.
When I was consistently under 8 after meals I stuck to the same way of eating and the numbers gradually reduced, which I took to mean that my metabolism was getting itself right ways up again.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on a combination including it's sister drug dapaglifloxin (Forxiga) for 4/5 years now, I can low(ish) carb (no white, brown or beige carbs for me)just not strict keto, not had a single episode of thrush, just have to make sure my fluid levels are high (2-3 litres a day)

Millie74

I've been on a combination including it's sister drug dapaglifloxin (Forxiga) for 4/5 years now, I can low(ish) carb (no white, brown or beige carbs for me)just not strict keto, not had a single episode of thrush, just have to make sure my fluid levels are high (2-3 litres a day)
So you can do a more liberal carb diet on it? 50-100g carb a day? I just wanted to know what would be a safe amount of carbs on an SGLT2. When they say don’t low carb on it, do they mean keto?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you can do a more liberal carb diet on it? 50-100g carb a day? I just wanted to know what would be a safe amount of carbs on an SGLT2. When they say don’t low carb on it, do they mean keto?
I don't count, just avoid the obvious pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, pastry, I'm lucky enough to have a meter through the NHS, so eat and test BG's