Bug Burgers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Isn't the idea to use the protein rather than the actual insects and worms? Mycoprotein doesn't look like fungus.

The burgers in the programme, which the presenter helped to make, were taken to the family who are trying to change their lifestyle, so, in this case meal worms were used.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
We eat enough bugs already, especially if we sleep with our mouths open. Ha ha

I think that would be an odd bug or two, so wouldn't really help much for the environment lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The topic of the programme is climate change related, with a focus on meat substitutes.

“Insects are increasingly being promoted as an alternative protein source which produces lower greenhouse gas emissions than meat.

But could consumers really stomach burgers made from bugs?

One family blind taste-tested four burgers - a traditional veggie burger, a soya burger, a hi-tech meat substitute and a burger made from mealworms. What was their verdict?”

Interesting program. (If a little dumbed down.) about a family of four cutting carbon emissions by 13 tonnes from their yearly routine if they took public transport, used a "Scalextric car," modified their home, drank soya milk and ate beetle larvae...

Whilst boffins breed seaweed eating, less flatulent cows...

The family would need to find as much as 33? grand to upgrade the house & a further 30K for the motor.

To be fair on them.
They weren't doing too bad comming in lower than the national average for thier comprising family unit @ 45 tonnes..

The family bread winners seemed to have a modest income. Maybe the father could afford the electric van for his buisiness whilst the tax payer pays for the installation of the rapid charging points around Cheltneham. Till then, the dad could spend 8 hours a day loitering round service stations waiting for a few bars on his charge & the kids dig for worms in the garden...

The quieter running motor may just catch out a badger for a "traditional" roast?

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think that would be an odd bug or two, so wouldn't really help much for the environment lol
True. Shame not more to curb my liver dumps. Ha ha I'm unaware if I do swollow an adventurous house spider or bed bug. Gulp!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting program. (If a little dumbed down.) about a family of four cutting carbon emissions by 13 tonnes from their yearly routine if they took public transport, used a "Scalextric car," modified their home, drank soya milk and ate beetle larvae...

Whilst boffins breed seaweed eating, less flatulent cows...

The family would need to find as much as 33? grand to upgrade the house & a further 30K for the motor.

To be fair on them.
They weren't doing too bad comming in lower than the national average for thier comprising family unit @ 45 tonnes..

The family bread winners seemed to have a modest income. Maybe the father could afford the electric van for his buisiness whilst the tax payer pays for the installation of the rapid charging points around Cheltneham. Till then, the dad could spend 8 hours a day loitering round service stations waiting for a few bars on his charge & the kids dig for worms in the garden...

The quieter running motor may just catch out a badger for a "traditional" roast?
Well yes, that’s the funny side of a more serious and challenging future.

Most of these programmes are of course dumbed down and sometimes that is a good thing.

When you say “Scalextric Car” are you referring to electrically powered vehicles, hybrids or vehicles that are virtually driverless? The first two are already in use and clearly visible on today’s roads. I drove a hybrid recently. It was fine.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I foresee us importing Ossie meat and spud lites after 31st October :D
You will not get spudlites from here, Aussie beef most probably if the ongoing free trade deal between Australia and the UK goes through.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you believe bug burgers are a far way off, guess what I found at the supermarket today?

Swarm -- the insect bar -- yumm! (Maybe not!)

SWARM_Protein_Insektenriegel_Red_Berries_Karton_2_720x.jpg

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I vaguely remember when a teenager living in Canada nearly 50 years ago, that you used to be able to buy tins of fried ants and fried crickets, they were imported for Korean migrants. Was never tempted to try any though!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well yes, that’s the funny side of a more serious and challenging future.

Most of these programmes are of course dumbed down and sometimes that is a good thing.

When you say “Scalextric Car” are you referring to electrically powered vehicles, hybrids or vehicles that are virtually driverless? The first two are already in use and clearly visible on today’s roads. I drove a hybrid recently. It was fine.

I did mean the all electric, full time "driver's car." I'm not closed to the concept. Just beyond me financially right now.

The program was formatted like "life swap" / "eat for less." With a focus on the CF..
I've no idea what extent veganism goes with regards to insects? But not a good idea gracing the same veggie option grill with the mushed up critters.

The challenge of the future...? My stark prediction. It will be a little like it pretty much once was in the days when getting caught poaching was a death sentence.? The elite will have their meat whils the rest of us have seasonal grain, root veg & mealworm. Public transport will be electric where viable, the rest will either walk, pushbike it or use a mobility scooter?
Whilst the privelidge'd entourage past us all in self driving cars..

Too many people, dwindling choices. (To simplify it all.)

Of course, I feel these initiatives are just a "sticking plaster" concealing a more longer term problem.. The population of this planet is growing? So, let's just blame another species. What next, horses? "Demonised mode of transport."

Understandably, A "pitch" for a program format where mum & dad picks a favourite child, then packs the others off somewhere else for a week whilst the BBC film progress of the remaining child & the parents.. Is in poor taste on so many levels. ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did mean the all electric, full time "driver's car." I'm not closed to the concept. Just beyond me financially right now.

The program was formatted like "life swap" / "eat for less." With a focus on the CF..
I've no idea what extent veganism goes with regards to insects? But not a good idea gracing the same veggie option grill with the mushed up critters.

The challenge of the future...? My stark prediction. It will be a little like it pretty much once was in the days when getting caught poaching was a death sentence.? The elite will have their meat whils the rest of us have seasonal grain, root veg & mealworm. Public transport will be electric where viable, the rest will either walk, pushbike it or use a mobility scooter?
Whilst the privelidge'd entourage past us all in self driving cars..

Too many people, dwindling choices. (To simplify it all.)

Of course, I feel these initiatives are just a "sticking plaster" concealing a more longer term problem.. The population of this planet is growing? So, let's just blame another species. What next, horses? "Demonised mode of transport."

Understandably, A "pitch" for a program format where mum & dad picks a favourite child, then packs the others off somewhere else for a week whilst the BBC film progress of the remaining child & the parents.. Is in poor taste on so many levels. ;)
The future of cars is already here. And it will become more affordable no doubt. I don’t believe we will return to horses unless there is a nuclear war.

I take your point on the “dumming” down. But no doubt the level is pitched to suit some folk.

The challenge for many is to adapt to climate friendly lifestyles. How that is achieved remains to be seen. ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The future of cars is already here. And it will become more affordable no doubt. I don’t believe we will return to horses unless there is a nuclear war.

I take your point on the “dumming” down. But no doubt the level is pitched to suit some folk.

The challenge for many is to adapt to climate friendly lifestyles. How that is achieved remains to be seen. ;)

That will need a total "out of the box" change in humanity's mindset. We've been gifted certain tech by our own ingenuity to make our lives easier affecting all areas of our daily routines. Giving them up or investing more cash on green alternatives in the immediacy to "do our bit," is not an option for some families struggling to maintain what is already available.

Lol, "nuclear war." Are you familiar with the "Flintstnes?" (Primarily a kids cartoon.)
There is a therory that the "modern Stone Age family" (sung in the snappy theme tune.) could actually set in a post apocalyptic dystopian futuristic community?
The survivors (or the descendants?) cling on to the "old ways" using genetically mutated animals as dish washers & household waste recepticals.

I may just have to disengage the drive from my gearbox, then cut the floor panels out of my vehicle & ask my passengers to help me start paddling on steep inclines to get about...?

Yabadabba doo! ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That will need a total "out of the box" change in humanity's mindset. We've been gifted certain tech by our own ingenuity to make our lives easier affecting all areas of our daily routines. Giving them up or investing more cash on green alternatives in the immediacy to "do our bit," is not an option for some families struggling to maintain what is already available.

Lol, "nuclear war." Are you familiar with the "Flintstnes?" (Primarily a kids cartoon.)
There is a therory that the "modern Stone Age family" (sung in the snappy theme tune.) could actually set in a post apocalyptic dystopian futuristic community?
The survivors (or the descendants?) cling on to the "old ways" using genetically mutated animals as dish washers & household waste recepticals.

I may just have to disengage the drive from my gearbox, then cut the floor panels out of my vehicle & ask my passengers to help me start paddling on steep inclines to get about...?

Yabadabba doo! ;)
Yes I watched the Flintstones as a kid.

All my electricity is generated from renewables now. The tariff is competitive too. I just swapped from BG to EON to get a better deal. The future is already here.