Jardiance Scarey

MsMollie

Hi Everyone -

My GP just started me on Jardiance once a day. I've read up on all the side effects and feel quite scared. Though he said about 1 in 10 will get thrush, but the rest of the people will tolerate it.

I am not handling the whole diabetes disease well atm. I really want to go low carb, but can't seem to keep the willpower.

Cheers and thanks

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum, @MsMollie.

Sorry, can't advice on the Jardiance as I haven't been on it.

To dip your nose into low carb, maybe it will help if you can start with just one low-carb meal a day -- this might help to make changing your woe less challenging.

Note of caution, however: If you ever decide to go low carb altogether, it might be a good idea to have another talk with your GP. To my knowledge, Jardiance and low carb don't mix very well.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone -

My GP just started me on Jardiance once a day. I've read up on all the side effects and feel quite scared. Though he said about 1 in 10 will get thrush, but the rest of the people will tolerate it.

I am not handling the whole diabetes disease well atm. I really want to go low carb, but can't seem to keep the willpower.

Cheers and thanks
You don't have to start with extreme measures. Just start with knowing what is carby and what isn't. You might find you end up making better choices just based on that. Have one low carb meal, see how that makes you feel and what it does with your bloodsugars. You don't have to do all this overnight, and if it doesn't suit you, it doesn't suit you. The choice is and always will be, yours.

Reactions: Sinner

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really want to go low carb, but can't seem to keep the willpower.
Can't you use your desire to not take the Jardiance as a booster to stick to the diet.
I used anger at my DN, who fed me the stock load of rubbish about T2, as an extra boost to stick to the plan..
I really wanted to show that she was wrong. Unfortunately she had quit before I had succeeded but by that time my new way of eating was well established and I was experiencing the health benefits so stuck to it.

Reactions: Sinner

MsMollie

Welcome to the forum, @MsMollie.

Sorry, can't advice on the Jardiance as I haven't been on it.

To dip your nose into low carb, maybe it will help if you can start with just one low-carb meal a day -- this might help to make changing your woe less challenging.

Note of caution, however: If you ever decide to go low carb altogether, it might be a good idea to have another talk with your GP. To my knowledge, Jardiance and low carb don't mix very well.

Hi Ziggy -

Thank you for your response. Do you know why they don't mix well?

MsMollie

Can't you use your desire to not take the Jardiance as a booster to stick to the diet.
I used anger at my DN, who fed me the stock load of rubbish about T2, as an extra boost to stick to the plan..
I really wanted to show that she was wrong. Unfortunately she had quit before I had succeeded but by that time my new way of eating was well established and I was experiencing the health benefits so stuck to it.

Thanks Bulkbiker - I would love to! I am not a big meat eater, though I will eat chicken and most seafood. And yes the will power should come from that, if I can get over the anxiety!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Jardiance and low carb don't mix very well.

The issue seems to be when very low carb is combined with Jardiance, I don't think there have been any problems with people keeping to a moderate low carb diet (say 100grams of carbs a day). So a carb free breakfast, salad for lunch and a normal dinner for example should be OK.

Provided you know about the risk of DKA and how to tell it is starting, then you are already controlling the risk. Dyhration is also a risk factor for DKA as well as being sick. Some doctors are now telling people to stop takeing Jardiance if they are not eating due to illness etc.

The combination of Jardiance and very low carb can result in the body needing to produce very little inslin due to there being so little glocose in the blood. But the body needs inslin for more then controlling BG.

The other risk factor is that Jardiance (even without low carb) can mask Type1 or LADA by making BG look not too bad. Remember that having type2 does not make it impossible for someone to develop type1.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The issue seems to be when very low carb is combined with Jardiance, I don't think there have been any problems with people keeping to a moderate low carb diet (say 100grams of carbs a day). So a carb free breakfast, salad for lunch and a normal dinner for example should be OK.

Provided you know about the risk of DKA and how to tell it is starting, then you are already controlling the risk. Dyhration is also a risk factor for DKA as well as being sick. Some doctors are now telling people to stop takeing Jardiance if they are not eating due to illness etc.

The combination of Jardiance and very low carb can result in the body needing to produce very little inslin due to there being so little glocose in the blood. But the body needs inslin for more then controlling BG.

The other risk factor is that Jardiance (even without low carb) can mask Type1 or LADA by making BG look not too bad. Remember that having type2 does not make it impossible for someone to develop type1.

Thanks for the detailed info, @ringi. This was really helpful.

nettyrim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I developed diabetic ketoacidosis whilst on Forziga which is a similar med. I was feeling ill the week before and hadnt eaten much. Apparently I should have stopped taking it whilst ill and was told that a keto diet was a no no on the med. I have been taken off it and am trying metformin which now I am low carbing seems to be ok. I would definitely be careful with this med

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The risks of thrush come through how the drug works - it holds excess glucose in your urine and you pee them away, which increases the risk of candida yeast infections. I've been on Forxiga for 6+ years and haven't had a problem with thrush, but you do have to drink alot (4 litres is a slow day for me) when you start you feel like you're never away from the toilet, but your body gets used to the higher hydration levels and it slows down. I am love carb but not keto (although I don't actively count - just avoid the usual suspects)