Pump Upgrade

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My current pump the 640g is coming to the end of its warranty and is due am upgrade. Now when i started pumping 4 years ago there was not a choice of pumps from my NHS board. I have now been given the option of the 670g, omnipod and tslim. I have a few question of those who use these pumps.

1. Is there much difference between the 640g and 670g, bearing in mind I will not be using it with a CGM, also does the 670g allow for different preset bolus rates for different days. The 640 has to be changed manually on the days required.
2. Does the omnipod offer the above different bolus feature.

Finally any general opinions on pros and cons of each pump?

I like the thought of the omnipod as there is no cannula but then you have the pdm which you have to carry about which looks bulky, whereas with the other two its just the pump in your pocket but with a cannula.

Thanks
Malcolm

Reactions: LizzieNI

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Malky

I am sorry I cannot offer you any advice.

I am however currently going through the process of going onto a pump so I will be watching this thread with interest.

I have the choice between the 640g, the omnipod and the tslim.

Good luck with your decision making

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The 640g worked well for me just looking for opinions on other manufacturers.
If it's any help omnipod do a trial pod, not functional, that they send out for you see how it is wearing it.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I still rocking the Veo nearly 8 years in.....:wideyed::wideyed:....

The medtronic would always feel like the most reliable and safe choice for me but some of the underdog pumps seem quite exciting....

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love my T:slim X2 but without a CGM you wouldn't get the best out of it. You can store several profiles - 16 basal intervals over a 24 hour period - so you could have different ones for individual days.
Sorry - rereading your question, you would still have to switch manually between these different profiles.

Reactions: Dazza 2

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love my T:slim X2 but without a CGM you wouldn't get the best out of it. You can store several profiles - 16 basal intervals over a 24 hour period - so you could have different ones for individual days.
Sorry - rereading your question, you would still have to switch manually between these different profiles.
Thanks it more with the basals on Medtronic you can only have one daily pattern. I have different requirements on a day off than a workday so need to manually change these values rather than having two preset days

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I still rocking the Veo nearly 8 years in.....:wideyed::wideyed:....

The medtronic would always feel like the most reliable and safe choice for me but some of the underdog pumps seem quite exciting....
You have managed to keep the same pump for 8 years, I am in Glasgow NHS too and that doesn't seem to be an option

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You have managed to keep the same pump for 8 years, I am in Glasgow NHS too and that doesn't seem to be an option

Well, its not the exact same pump, got a new one after the warranty was up but it was still the same model....

It didn't bother me if it meant more people getting a pump....

Expecting more options this time around though.....NHS Lanarkshire I fall under....

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I don’t have a pump yet but based on what I’ve read the 670g is a closed loop system with the CGM and it has auto mode feature which works in conjunction with the CGM to predict hypos and hypers. So pump will suspend if it predicts a low blood glucose. I guess without a CGM, it’ll be similar to what you have now. As for the tandem, if you have the dexcom, you can update the software. Which is what I quite like, it’s like my phone that needs to be updated every now and then. Whereas with the other pumps, you can’t update it other than picking another pump when your warranty ends. I’m not too sure on the profiles, but I’m sure theres info if you type in the search bar or youtube it. But I’ve been considered for the 670g with a CGM as it was the choice for a closed loop system, the other pump choices I had was roche and ominpod but tandem haven’t replied back to my hospital yet. My nurses were not too keen yet due to being a small company. Otherwise I would have went with tandem.

Justin04

Hi mate, can’t comment on the 670 sorry but the 640g has several different basal patterns available. I have one for day shift, night shift and at home on days off. Each one is significantly different of course (actually just trying to sort out a bit of a problem on the night shift pattern at the moment). One thing I will give Medtronic is their customer service (at least in Australia) is second to none. Cheers.

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all the replies, I have the 640g just now and use the various different basal programmes it more the bolus I would like to be able to have preset for different days.
Unfortunately I am not eligible to get a CGM from the NHS and funding myself is too costly. So that side of the meters can be ignored. Of I could get a CGM I would probably have opted for the tslim pump.
Think I am now leaning towards the 670g or tslim. As the omnipod you still have to carry the pdm with you.

Justin04

Sorry about that. I thought you were talking about basals. I’m with you on the different bonus counters. Carb ratios for different basal patterns is what I would like to see as at the moment night shift pattern has to use day shift carb ratios and it would be handy to be able to adjust it without having to remember to change it back.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it might be a while before NHS add it to their list of existing pumps. But I’m quite excited for upcoming future pumps :)
The Tandem t:slim has been available in the UK since about January. I've had mine since March.
The Control-IQ upgrade is expected in the USA by the end of the year. Here we will have to wait but we did recently get the Basal-IQ update which attempts to stop/reduce the severity of hypos. I'm still getting to know it but so far I'm impressed.

Reactions: LizzieNI

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Tandem t:slim has been available in the UK since about January. I've had mine since March.
The Control-IQ upgrade is expected in the USA by the end of the year. Here we will have to wait but we did recently get the Basal-IQ update which attempts to stop/reduce the severity of hypos. I'm still getting to know it but so far I'm impressed.

Yes, I know tandem is out and available but the medtronic minimed 780G is not.

Reactions: DunePlodder

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
April 2020 in US. No idea for UK or rest of world.

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thought i would do an update, decided to just stick with medtronic and go for the 670g. My decision was made on a few factors.
1. I already used medtronic, so its the easy option.
2. I will be unlikely to get a CGM in the near future so these functions did not matter.
3. The clinic I attend favours the medtronic so again make my life easy if i have any issues.

Hopefully over the next four years there will be more developments in tubless pumps, I have heard omnipod are trying to move to getting authorisation so that you can use your smart phone to control the pod. Also hear abbot and tandem are not putting something together to use the tslim with libre which sound promising