JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Personally speaking, not at all. This is modern medicine to the core. Pills and surgery over lifestyle. Not specific to diabetes.
Yet I still caught an edge of defensiveness to some of the responses.

And we should remember there are conditions that no amount of life style changes will address.

Type1 diabetes being one of them if you aint producing insulin no amount of dietary measures or exercise is going to change that.

For those the pills and/or surgery may be the only answer also there are those who have tried life style changes and it just has not worked.

That cartoon was so simplistic as to be risible and an insult to the intelligence of the patients.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Let's not be too hard on the pills and surgery people. After all, there are many conditions and illnesses for which lifestyle has no bearing.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I told the nurse at the liver clinic that I had refused medication and opted to make lifestyle changes she said that I was in the minority. It's definitely working for me.

She's right.

Reactions: Ceebee2

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is strange that although there is nothing in that picture that directly references diabetes we and I include myself in that all feel defensive we see a queue of fat people and automatically assume we are being targeted by it. Or am I making an unwarranted assumption also.

Hi John, I don't think it's that we see a queue of fat people and think 'diabetes', I would say we associate what we are seeing with diabetes because that is what we have?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, not sure of your point, you think it IS what the Nurse should be telling the patient...or not?
Yes... my point being that there are few HCP's who are able/willing to share lifestyle change advice with patients. So saying that patients who take charge are in the minority is because the information that could help is withheld from most.
When most are given Eatwell leaflets why are we surprised that they need meds? Most docs don't have a clue...and appear to be unwilling to learn. That at least is my experience.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes... my point being that there are few HCP's who are able/willing to share lifestyle change advice with patients. So saying that patients who take charge are in the minority is because the information that could help is withheld from most.
When most are given Eatwell leaflets why are we surprised that they need meds? Most docs don't have a clue...and appear to be unwilling to learn. That at least is my experience.

Ah, yep, I fully agree.

M

Member496333

Exactly.

EDIT: In fact, many of them could do with taking lessons from their patients instead of castigating them for making positive choices rather than following the calamitous standard of care advice.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi John, I don't think it's that we see a queue of fat people and think 'diabetes', I would say we associate what we are seeing with diabetes because that is what we have?
So in effect because you have diabetes when you see a queue of fat people you see a queue of T2 diabetics whereas if say like me you had mysthenia gravis you would see a queue of fat myasthenics? which I bye the way don't because being fat is not consciously or sub consciously associated with MG.

That cartoon reinforces a stereotype.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So in effect because you have diabetes when you see a queue of fat people you see a queue of T2 diabetics whereas if say like me you had mysthenia gravis you would see a queue of fat myasthenics? which I bye the way don't because being fat is not consciously or sub consciously associated with MG.

That cartoon reinforces a stereotype.

John, my comment was specifically linked to THIS post which was discussing a 'queue of fat people'. I personally do NOT see a fat person and think anything at all. I agree wholeheartedly that this is a stereotype which I absolutely hate. x

Reactions: Evie-D

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"I would say we associate what we are seeing with diabetes because that is what we have?"

And what you were seeing was a queue of fat people.

And this thread happens to be in a sub forum titled Diabetes Discussions so the connotation is obvious.

The association us not necessarily a conscious one we are all subject to the pressures placed on us by the prejudices ingrained in our society even when we know they are wrong.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"I would say we associate what we are seeing with diabetes because that is what we have?"

And what you were seeing was a queue of fat people.

And this thread happens to be in a sub forum titled Diabetes Discussions so the connotation is obvious.

The association us not necessarily a conscious one we are all subject to the pressures placed on us by the prejudices ingrained in our society even when we know they are wrong.

One last attempt to explain what I meant. The post featured a queue of people who happened to be fat. Various posters made comments then on diabetes and fat people. Other posters asked why 'we' were automatically assuming that the queue was associated with or implying they had 'diabetes'. I said that the reason for this association was because diabetes was the condition WE all had, meaning of course we would associate the image with ourselves and our diabetes. IF this site was about some other condition then I am sure we would associate the queue with that other condition.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Working as a HCP I find it difficult to get people to change their lifestyles. Firstly it takes a lot of clinic time to explain what the changes they have to make are. The practitioners often offer confused and contradictory advice. GP says eat healthy grains and walk; someone else low fat high protein; others say keto. Generally, people really dont want to put in much, if any, effort. I don't know how many overweight people I've seen who tell me they only eat healthy food and can't understand what changes to their diet they could make, or they would like to exercise but their knees and feet hurt when they walk. Not everyone but lots of people look for excuses to not change.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Working as a HCP I find it difficult to get people to change their lifestyles. Firstly it takes a lot of clinic time to explain what the changes they have to make are. The practitioners often offer confused and contradictory advice. GP says eat healthy grains and walk; someone else low fat high protein; others say keto. Generally, people really dont want to put in much, if any, effort. I don't know how many overweight people I've seen who tell me they only eat healthy food ad can't understand what changes to their diet they could make, or they would like to exercise but their knees and feet hurt when they walk. Not everyone but lots of people look for excuses to not change.

I would agree with you, from an observational experience.

Having worked for eons as a Change Manager, health is no different to anything else. Few people embrace change (unless it's their own idea!), and I do think that lifestyle is particularly challenging, as much of it is so "public". Going for a coffee - why no cake? Shopping? Why are you obsessed by labels, and so on. And of course, those living in family units where the feeder doesn't "get it", or believes that a meal isn't a meal without potatoes, or bread, or dessert.

I think we, on here, are so incredibly lucky to have so many supporters who will help us along the way, and demonstrate, every day, that the changes required can really make a huge difference.

Personally, I recall a conversation, in the very early days, between me and my OH, which went along the lines of "Well, it seems to come down to who you're going to trust, the Doc who tells you to carry on eating the diet we've been doing for years, or strangers on t'internet, who advocate making quite radical changes away from the norm".

Without that support 24/7 on the forum, many of us would have drifted back to where we started. I know that was a possibility for me.

I have so much to be thankful for this forum.

Edited for typos

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is strange that although there is nothing in that picture that directly references diabetes we and I include myself in that all feel defensive we see a queue of fat people and automatically assume we are being targeted by it. Or am I making an unwarranted assumption also.
As a fat person, each and every time I have had to see a GP then some aspect of my reason for going has been attributed to my weight. Including pneumonia, as i obviously am so sedentary that my lungs clogged up and got infected. I was told to move more and i wont get bad lung conditions.

Strangely, once I moved out of the city (still the same weight) my annual bronchitis or pneumonia stopped.

So no, maybe diabetes is not the target, but extra weight certainly is, and type 2 diabetes is lumped under the same banner, isnt it.

Reactions: jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know how many overweight people I've seen who tell me they only eat healthy food and can't understand what changes to their diet they could make, or they would like to exercise but their knees and feet hurt when they walk. Not everyone but lots of people look for excuses to not change.

I dont see those as excuses. A healthy diet is lots of carbs, so they can be telling the truth. Its just not a healthy diet for their condition. And yes, knees and feet hurting when walking is a valid reason for being unwilling to exercise and the underlying pain needs to be addressed to enable them to exercise.

Reasons are not excuses, and current healthy diet recommendations are not good for type 2's. The attitude that we are making excuses, rather than pointing to reasons why the current mantra of healthy is counterproductive, is not helpful either. Listening to patients and addressing the reasons why some health recommendations arent working for them is a good idea.

Reactions: jjraak

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a fat person, each and every time I have had to see a GP then some aspect of my reason for going has been attributed to my weight. Including pneumonia, as i obviously am so sedentary that my lungs clogged up and got infected. I was told to move more and i wont get bad lung conditions.

Strangely, once I moved out of the city (still the same weight) my annual bronchitis or pneumonia stopped.

So no, maybe diabetes is not the target, but extra weight certainly is, and type 2 diabetes is lumped under the same banner, isnt it.

Lucy, I have to agree. Since losing a lot of weight I have noticed a seismic shift in how medical professionals deal with me.

Issues that were dismissed as due to weight are now taken seriously and investigated. Even the same issues (bone and joint pain, for example).

Carrying excess weight (and I was carrying a lot) undoubtedly does not help in a lot of situations but it should never be the sole consideration.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a caption with the cartoon. It read:

“Our fantastic social prescribers Xxxx and Xxxx can help you to find lifestyle changes that work for you.... Join the ‘shorter queue’ and find ways to change your life to feel better....”

I have edited the names out.