Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi Folks,

A quick question before i make a mistake i can't come back from.
Yesterday i received my new Dexcom G6 Starter Kit. :)

I have been using the Libre/MiaoMiao with xDrip+ for a few years.
I like xDrip+....a lot, and I want to continue using it with the G6.

Last week i got my Tandem t:slim X2 pump.

My questions are:

1. Do i have to download the Dexcom App when i first start using the Transmitter or can i just use xDrip+ ?
  2. Does it make any difference which device i connect the G6 to first?
    • xDrip+
    • t:slim X2
    • Dexcom G6 app
  3. Can i use it with all three at the same time?
Clearly I am aiming at using the Basal IQ software with the X2/G6 combo.
However, i want to continue using xDrip as i like all the cool features.

Any advice?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1. You don't need the Dexcom App.
2. I use xDrip+ to start, then on the pump you enter the transmitter number, but don't need to enter the sensor number - I think you "Skip" This means you do the 2 hour warm up on xDrip+ then the pump just sort of "joins in" after it gets some readings.
I understand you can do the pump first if you want to.

3. You can only use at 2 once. The transmitter has 2 channels - one for a "Receiver" & one for a Phone.
In our case the pump is the Receiver.
You can't use the Dexcom App & xDrip+ at the same time.

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
You are a Star DP.
Gonna put it on now.

Because I am doing the "Beginners Pump Course" for the next few weeks, my DSN and Dietician were not keen for me to use Basal IQ. They are getting us "pumpers" to sort out our BASAL rates using the "Fasting Method". Did my first go this morning and ended up nearly hypo at lunchtime.
Guess that sort of proved their point though. My Basal rate for the morning isn't quite right yet.

However, as Basal IQ only shuts off insulin delivery when you are heading towards a Hypo, I can't see how it really interferes with the BASAL rate test.

If my BASAL rate is correct then, whilst fasting it should stay on a flat line.
Well, relatively flat that is.

They said that all pumpers should check their BASAL rates once every six months.

What do you think?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a tricky one. I suppose that if you are doing a fasting basal rate test then Basal IQ could change your results. If it has been activated then it is stopping insulin delivery. That lack of basal insulin can have still an effect later on perhaps causing a "false" rise which might wrongly lead you to change your basal profile.
Don't forget that you can switch B-IQ on & off so you can try it, as long as you note the periods/days when you did. & don't use them for making adjustments.
Once you have things set up, B-IQ can be used to highlight problems if say it cuts in at the same time each day.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
1. You don't need the Dexcom App.
2. I use xDrip+ to start, then on the pump you enter the transmitter number, but don't need to enter the sensor number - I think you "Skip" This means you do the 2 hour warm up on xDrip+ then the pump just sort of "joins in" after it gets some readings.
I understand you can do the pump first if you want to.

3. You can only use at 2 once. The transmitter has 2 channels - one for a "Receiver" & one for a Phone.
In our case the pump is the Receiver.
You can't use the Dexcom App & xDrip+ at the same time.

Hi DP.
Two hours. What a bind.
Seems like a LONG time when you are used to the Libre.

I really feel like a member of the "Collective" now (Star Trek - Borg).

Perhaps that we ought to call ourselves DP. "The Collective"
Sounds like a good name for a new Forum Group for Insulin Pump users with CGM's.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
It's a tricky one. I suppose that if you are doing a fasting basal rate test then Basal IQ could change your results. If it has been activated then it is stopping insulin delivery. That lack of basal insulin can have still an effect later on perhaps causing a "false" rise which might wrongly lead you to change your basal profile.
Don't forget that you can switch B-IQ on & off so you can try it, as long as you note the periods/days when you did. & don't use them for making adjustments.
Once you have things set up, B-IQ can be used to highlight problems if say it cuts in at the same time each day.

It sounds silly for a 57 year old man, but i feel like a kid at Xmas with a new toy. (or two new toys actually)
I have had quite a few "mini hypos" since starting the X2.
Believe me, i am NOT complaining about my pump. I love Heidi. She has dramatically changed my time in target.
I just KNOW that my HBA1c is gonna drop dramatically this time. I was 8.8 in May.

If Basal IQ can stop the mini Hypos before they happen, then i will feel much happier about "running low".
Before i would deliberately run near to 8 or 9 during the day, to give myself more notice when my BG's did a nosedive.

I have been PM'ing Craig about the G6 Battery replacements and trying to work out how much a month this should all cost me if i extend the sensors and the transmitters. Listening to others, these are my estimates:
Sensor Duration 20 30 40
Cost per month £103.56 £77.94 £65.13

Trouble is, that Sensor duration is completely unpredictable.
One thing i DO know is that if Dexcom are successful in making the sensors "un-crackable", then there is little mileage in not doing the £159 per month.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it's ridiculous really, but 2 hours can feel like a very long time!
Not sure I fancy joining the Borg, but I do feel like a cyborg & apparently "Resistance is futile".

Going back to the six monthly basal rate check, I think it probably applies more to people who are reluctant to make any changes without their DSN's say so. Sensible to begin with of course, but I think you will be more "involved" as I am.
On MDI & now on the pump I make changes as I see necessary. Overnight is automatically a fasting test which you can review frequently.
If you have a fairly fixed daily routine you can also probably identify problem periods by looking back over a few days.

If you get it "wrong" (whatever that means) well you have the rest of your life to get it right!
As I see it we are adults & having a CGM allows you to just "try things". It would very different if you were caring for a child.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I was very excited to get my pump & then again when Basal IQ came out.
I get about 18 to 20 days from a sensor. In the early G4 days it was nearer a month but it did gradually reduce.
Time will tell how long "You" will get - some people struggle to get to 10 days.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi All,

Today there is a new upload from Nerdabetic.

His Technology report says that Tandem are partnering with Abbot to provide another CGM for their t:slim X2 pump.

For people concerned about the costs of Dexcom Devices this can only be good news.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Starting my G6 - NIGHTMARE!

Well, that's a day of my life i won't get back again.
I put on my G6 Sensor and Transmitter, then i told xDrip+ to start the sensor.
I used the Source Wizard Button to choose the G5/G6 sensor.

At first it "seemed" like everything was ok.
  • It found it on Bluetooth
  • It started the 2 hour startup (that seemed like a very long time)
    The last 5 minutes (according to xDrip) were actually more like another 30 minutes
    This is when i suspected i had a problem.
  • I tried to look at the Bluetooth and clicked on the System Status (a LOT) but i could not see what was wrong.
  • i decided to forget the G6 and start again...

• Another 2 hours later... still nothing on xDrip+

• In the end i installed the G6 App on my Android phone
    ANOTHER 2 hour wait
  • This time it DID work and i was able to get some readings.
  • Then i connected it to my t:slim X2 and it seemed to be happy.

• After a few hours (constantly checking the readings against my Finger Prick readings and my Libre (yep, got both of them on now!) i finally decided that the readings were good.

• Turned on Basal IQ and as luck would have it, 40 minutes later i was heading low.
    The BIQ cut in perfectly and stopped the Hypo

SO FLAMING HAPPY! THIS is what it was all for.

• So... the only problem now is that i REALLY don't like the G6 App, which doesn't seem anywhere near as good as xDrip+
    I want to stop the G6 App and have another go at xDrip+, but i DON'T want xDrip+ to tell it to do a 2 hour startup.
Does anyone know of a good guide (preferably You Tube or LOTS of screenshots) for attaching a G6 sensor to xDrip+ when it is already running?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Capt-Slog hope you got sorted with your G6. I cannot help with X-Drip stuff but interested how your getting on with the t:slim X2. Looks like I'm going to move over to this in January, I still have 5 months worth of G5 sensors so not moving to G6 until maybe May next year.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Starting my G6 - NIGHTMARE!

Well, that's a day of my life i won't get back again.
I put on my G6 Sensor and Transmitter, then i told xDrip+ to start the sensor.
I used the Source Wizard Button to choose the G5/G6 sensor.

At first it "seemed" like everything was ok.
  • It found it on Bluetooth
  • It started the 2 hour startup (that seemed like a very long time)
    The last 5 minutes (according to xDrip) were actually more like another 30 minutes
    This is when i suspected i had a problem.
  • I tried to look at the Bluetooth and clicked on the System Status (a LOT) but i could not see what was wrong.
  • i decided to forget the G6 and start again...

• Another 2 hours later... still nothing on xDrip+

• In the end i installed the G6 App on my Android phone
    ANOTHER 2 hour wait
  • This time it DID work and i was able to get some readings.
  • Then i connected it to my t:slim X2 and it seemed to be happy.

• After a few hours (constantly checking the readings against my Finger Prick readings and my Libre (yep, got both of them on now!) i finally decided that the readings were good.

• Turned on Basal IQ and as luck would have it, 40 minutes later i was heading low.
    The BIQ cut in perfectly and stopped the Hypo

SO FLAMING HAPPY! THIS is what it was all for.

• So... the only problem now is that i REALLY don't like the G6 App, which doesn't seem anywhere near as good as xDrip+
    I want to stop the G6 App and have another go at xDrip+, but i DON'T want xDrip+ to tell it to do a 2 hour startup.
Does anyone know of a good guide (preferably You Tube or LOTS of screenshots) for attaching a G6 sensor to xDrip+ when it is already running?

Have a look on the Book of Faces......The Xdrip+ group are really helpful there mate

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
@Capt-Slog hope you got sorted with your G6. I cannot help with X-Drip stuff but interested how your getting on with the t:slim X2. Looks like I'm going to move over to this in January, I still have 5 months worth of G5 sensors so not moving to G6 until maybe May next year.
Hi,

My experience with the t:slim X2 has been a very good one. I have had a couple of infusion set issues, but as this is my first pump, I have been told that this is normal.
Certainly it is not the pumps fault if the cannula is bent!

My experience with the Dexcom G6 system however has been awful. I bought the starter kit which included an "8H" transmitter. I think it is honest to say that the 8H and xDrip+ do not play well together.

In the end I downloaded the Dexcom app and used that to talk to the sensor.
I was able to restart my sensor, but after 18 days my sensor site was really hurting my arm. Also, the connection was getting erratic. When I removed the sensor, my arm was a bit of a mess, so I am not surprised that the sensor was missing readings.

It is fair to say, I think, that had I changed the Dexcom sensor at 10 days, as we are supposed to, then there would not have been any issues.

At the moment I have gone back to using the Libre/MiaoMiao and xDrip+. Because Libre is via the NHS, I only wear it for 14 days and have never had any issues with my site.

I have one sensor left in my starter kit.
I am thinking about placing it on my tummy this time, to see whether it settles better there. My problem centre's around the fact that I cannot afford the £159 a month, so if I can't extend the life of the sensors then I can't afford to use the G6.

I did feel that the G6 was more stable than the Libre, but not being able to directly talk to xDrip+ was a bind. ( I was able to setup the Dexcom Share function in the Dexcom app, which then allowed me to send data to xDrip+. But of a half a***ed way of going about it, and not very stable.... At all.

I must also state that the connection between the sensor and the t:slim X2 pump was very stable and often my pump would have readings when my phone did not. The Basal IQ worked very well too.

Finally, I must also admit that Dexcom only list my phone as compatible IF it is running Android 8.1, which it is not. It is running 9.0.

So, I think that I will go back to the Libre and wait to see what happens in 2020.

Either Tandem will pair with the Libre (this IS on their agenda apparently) or
Dexcom's G7 launch will be cheaper and we will be able to get it on the NHS.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
@Capt-Slog have you checked out the Facebook Xdrip+ page yet?
Yep, spoke to those guys, and also communicated with the developers on the xDrip+ GitHub forum too. I am not alone for people who have experienced issues with 8F and 8H transmitters.
However I think my phone is playing a big part in the problem.

I wish there was a device, similar to the RileyLink, but for Android users. The idea being that you get a REALLY stable Bluetooth connection from the sensor to the Link, then another connection from the Link to your phone.
I know most people don't like the idea of another device to carry around with them, but if it gave me a guaranteed connection, I would be happy with it.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Chas C I've been using the t:slim X2 for about 8 months now & I'm very pleased with it. I came from MDI & the ability to fine adjust basals is wonderful.
I was sceptical about how well Basal IQ could work given how simple the algorithm is but it does make quite a big difference. The secret is that it checks every 5 minutes - more often than I could with the best will in the world. I wouldn't want to be without it.
My experience with the G6 has generally been very positive. I love the no (or very few) calibration aspect. I'm fortunate that I've avoided the latest transmitters unlike @Capt-Slog, currently I'm using a 80xxx trasmitter with replacement batteries.
Historically sensors have lasted 18-20 days which just about makes them affordable, though the last 2 became unusable after 14 & 15 days. Basal IQ means I can't use them once readings become erratic.

Reactions: Chas C

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Capt-Slog I think I saw in one of your messages that you have a Bluejay watch? Did you get it working with the G6?
I find it does have some "range" problems & will miss readings when I don't think it should - it's on my wrist, it can't really be far from the sensor!
Overnight I use it a bit like a RileyLink (or xDrip box), I fasten it onto my pump Spibelt so it's right next to the transmitter & I then get very reliable results which are forwarded to xDrip on my phone.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @DunePlodder and @Capt-Slog, I see that as well as the Basal IQ this will soon have the Control IQ too (early next year), looking forward to moving over to the t:slim.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @DunePlodder and @Capt-Slog, I see that as well as the Basal IQ this will soon have the Control IQ too (early next year), looking forward to moving over to the t:slim.
Not sure about "early" next year, it's not out in the USA yet (any day now). We got Basal IQ more than a year later than our American friends. Part of that was because they had to change the Tandem Device Updater software - we have that now, so maybe it won't take quite as long for Control IQ..

Reactions: Chas C

boxing

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Folks,

A quick question before i make a mistake i can't come back from.
Yesterday i received my new Dexcom G6 Starter Kit. :)

I have been using the Libre/MiaoMiao with xDrip+ for a few years.
I like xDrip+....a lot, and I want to continue using it with the G6.

Last week i got my Tandem t:slim X2 pump.

My questions are:

1. Do i have to download the Dexcom App when i first start using the Transmitter or can i just use xDrip+ ?
  2. Does it make any difference which device i connect the G6 to first?
    • xDrip+
    • t:slim X2
    • Dexcom G6 app
  3. Can i use it with all three at the same time?
Clearly I am aiming at using the Basal IQ software with the X2/G6 combo.
However, i want to continue using xDrip as i like all the cool features.

Any advice?