Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And destroy kidneys, by what, 30% ?

Hi and welcome Mike :)

I realise that you are very concerned for your kidneys, and equally concerned about The side effects of Metformin, but it is always helpful to provide references to scientific articles, studies and other sources, if you make statements like that.

Many members here take Metformin regularly, and I am sure that I speak for many when I say that I am interested to know the source of your information, so that we can evaluate the science for ourselves.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Reading past the appalling puff piece at the start, the references to the actual research here suggest to me two things - that they are failing to diagnose diabetes early enough (HbA1c averages the blood sugar so disguises peaks and troughs) and that the aging process that Metformin 'treats' is higher blood sugar and/or metabolic syndrome impacts?
Even to them suggesting that the effect seen in cancers is due to starving malignant cells of too much sugar ...

So prompt diagnosis of metabolic syndrome plus a low carb diet should be even more effective?

https://www.healio.com/endocrinolog...etformin-may-prove-to-be-a-wonder-drug?page=1

Reactions: tina_marie

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is contra-indicated for people with severe chronic kidney disease, and recent study* suggested that it is a higher risk even for those with moderate chronic kidney disease but I have never seen the figure you quote - source please.

* https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5797060/

yes, that study supports reading I did several years ago that suggested Metformin was a safe helpful drug for patients with good kidney function, and mild kidney disease, but was not advised for patients with moderate to severe kidney disease.

There is some interesting discussion on the subject in this video, but it is a few years old now (video dates from 2015), so there may be more info available now.
Metformin - The Case of Exaggerating Both Benefits and Harms

Here is some info on the current guidelines for prescribing Metformin for different levels of kidney function
https://www.rxlist.com/consumer_metformin/drugs-condition.htm

DOSAGE MODIFICATIONS
Hepatic (liver) impairment: Avoid use; risk of lactic acidosis.
Renal (kidney) impairment

• Obtain eGFR before starting metformin
  • eGFR less than 30 mL/min/1.73 m²: Contraindicated
  • eGFR 30-45 mL/min/1.73 m²: Not recommended to initiate treatment
  • Monitor eGFR at least annually or more often for those at risk for renal impairment (e.g., elderly)
  • If eGFR falls below 45mL/min/1.73 m² while taking metformin, health risks and benefits of continuing therapy should be evaluated
  • If eGFR falls below 30 mL/min/1.73 m²: while taking metformin, discontinue the drug

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
I have been on LCHF for almost 2 years and in my mind have made huge improvements. One such improvement is weaning myself of 1500 Mg per day of Metformin and now have a very stable daily fasting reading of around 5.5

Then last night I watched the Netflix series called 'Explained', in particular the one called 'Can we live forever?. Towards the end they claim the latest breakthrough in anti-aging is, found almost by accident, METFORMIN! They claim it can reduce cancer and heart disease by 30%. This made me a bit exasperated as I have a cardio issue from about 8 years ago (resulting in 3 stents), so now I am thinking is this just another debacle in the same vein as big pharma pushing statins (which I also stopped)?

Just when you think you are winning, something pops up to muddy the water again.

Anyone seen this, what are your thoughts?
I saw that program and what I understood he was saying is that he took metformin because it lowered his insulin levels which in turned allowed the anti-ageing and cell repairing enzymes to work their magic. Perhaps he was too lazy or stressed from his long hours of research to reduce his insulin levels the natural way. Some of us don't have the luxury of that option.

mouseee

From my very tiny (sample of one) long term study, I have seen no correlation between reducing heart disease or at least heart problems. Mum been on Met for many many years and now has heart failure. Mmm....I'll take it for what it's prescribed for and not rely on it for anything else I think!

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
I was on it for 2 weeks when first diagnosed. It was the worst experience I ever had . Nearly had several accidents on the tube coming home from work and one day a woman asked if I was ok . I was sweating so much with the pains in my guts . I stopped taking it and went LCHF . I also told the doctor to never put me on it again . Nasty stuff

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm getting very upset about people who don't need metformin slagging it off.
I wouldn't have my 2 beautiful sons if I hadn't taken metformin. I don't ovulate without it. I add weight not maintain or lose.
I, myself is far far better off medically on metformin than without it.
Whether it be high insulin resistance or/and testosterone irregular levels it improves my irregularities... some. Enough to make my family life a joy and complete. :) :) :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
P.s if I had paralysis from decades of taking metformin no Bariatric surgeon would have touch me with a barg pole.
Yes I had GERD even not on metformin. Now I don't take any med or symptoms of acid reflux.

Mike Sixx

I apologize, my comment was not to be taken literally. I just meant that the article makes METFORMIN to be some kind of miracle drug that cures all and glosses over the side effects.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I apologize, my comment was not to be taken literally. I just meant that the article makes METFORMIN to be some kind of miracle drug that cures all and glosses over the side effects.
Some people don't get the side effects. You know that, right?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people don't get the side effects. You know that, right?

So metformin helped with your PCOS.. and you got pregnant and that's great but for many it is a nightmare..not being able to leave the house due to explosive diarrhea isn't a great feeling..

Every medication will have side effects if you can handle them great but there is no point in attacking those who chose not to?

I'm getting very upset about people who don't need metformin slagging it off.

Reactions: Daphne917

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So metformin helped with your PCOS.. and you got pregnant and that's great but for many it is a nightmare..not being able to leave the house due to explosive diarrhea isn't a great feeling..

Every medication will have side effects if you can handle them great but there is no point in attacking those who chose not to?
Ditto.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
For those who have side effects on metformin I understand. I've worked through mine... at this moment in time.
I had IBS and was restarted on Metformin.

I no longer suffer with IBS nor have obvious metformin side effect anymore.
Not saying this will always be the case.

I'm just fed up of threads on this forum slagging off a good med. For many.
Not all but many benefit from it. It helps with insulin resistance and Type2 diabetes is about insulin resistance so why **** off an aid?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreeing with @ickihun on this.

I think the possible "nasty" side effects of Metformin are well known, so it's not really necessary on a thread such as this which is discussing the potential benefits of the drug, for individuals to highlight their own particular issues which really don't have anything to do with medical side of Met

M

Member496333

Probably not worth taking anything personally. It’s a thread discussing Metformin. It stands to reason that people will offer their views on Metformin. We all speak only for ourselves.

As I stated earlier, personally I have no issue with it and think people should take it if they wish, but I am always uncomfortable when ‘research’ on out-of-patent pharmaceuticals begins surfacing that shows a multitude of protective and longevity benefits. That’s just my opinion. If people need it or want in then I say crack on :D

Reactions: ickihun

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have often seen most medications being described this way: very effective for approx 25%, fairly effective for around 50%, and ineffective or causing unacceptable contraindications for the final 25% of people.

obviously that is a massive generalisation!

but just as I would hate to see anyone to be taking a medication that caused those unacceptable contraindications, I would be equally dismayed to see people who would benefit from it being put off by a vocal minority.

Last edited: