Needles

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What pen needles does everyone use in UK? What ones are prescribed for you:

I do not like the ones I've been prescribed called Omnican (cheapest ones, they are obviously tryin g to keep costs down)

Cheers.

Last edited:

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use BD Microfine 4mm needles, but you need to request these specially each time you order, or the prescription will arrive with the purple 5mm ones. The 4mm in a green and white box, there's a noticeable difference between them and the 5mm needles which i used to use. Lots less painful!
Good luck!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'm prescribed GlucoRx Fine point 4mm. I don't need to ask forthese as they're on a repeat prescription.
I inject in the belly and I still bruise:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Klinion soft fine 5 mm. I used BD first but I called the pharmacy to ask for the cheapest they had, as I don't care about the brand, as long as they deliver the insulin and I didn't see the need for my insurance to pay more than necessary.
I've used 6 and 4mm as well in the past, and don't care a lot either way.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use BD Microfine 4mm needles, but you need to request these specially each time you order, or the prescription will arrive with the purple 5mm ones. The 4mm in a green and white box, there's a noticeable difference between them and the 5mm needles which i used to use. Lots less painful!
Good luck!

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you! So you get BD needles on prescription? Mine were changed to the ones I don't like, but if others are getting BD then I don't see why I can't....

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm prescribed GlucoRx Fine point 4mm.
I get those ones as well - I have a feeling I was on BD ones before that, ie they probably changed when they found out they could get the GlucoRX ones cheaper

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I get those ones as well - I have a feeling I was on BD ones before that, ie they probably changed when they found out they could get the GlucoRX ones cheaper
I had to get some needles when I was on holiday in Luarca Spain and had 5mm needles only..........ouchy ouchy, cry and big tears

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm Scotland and these are what I've been using since I was diagnosed xx
bd needles.jpg

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! So you get BD needles on prescription? Mine were changed to the ones I don't like, but if others are getting BD then I don't see why I can't....

Yes, these are on my repeat prescription which i order through the patient access portal now - i have to leave a note to request the 4mms but they are so much better for me :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Go back to see your GP and ask for the BD needles to be put back on your script. The GPs are trying to cost cut.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Novo Fine 4mm needles, my surgery has tried to change them to cheaper ones a few times but they caused so much bruising no matter where I tried to inject they were told by my Dr to change them back, if the cheaper ones are causing you to bruise or are painful go back to your Dr and tell him/her, its bad enough having to do all the jabbing without the trauma of cheap needles causing pain and bruising.

Reactions: karen8967

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine were switched to Glucorx last year, but I found them comparatively blunt and I ended up with bruises. I was switched back to BD when I complained.