Empaglifozene?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone tried empaglifozene? The side effects and possible hypo if low carbing looks scary. My DN has suggested it instead of Metformin, due to various difficulties I had with Metformin previously.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
How do things work out for you if you don't take metformin?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I don't know. I haven't had any Metformin for seven years. Diet control was enough.

Is diet control no longer working?

Not sure why your DN would recommend something if things are going well, so maybe I have missed something?

M

Member496333

diet control is not doing enough, apparently due to my PCOS?????

Do you still eat wheat? I understand you are carbohydrate restricted, but wheat is thought to cause or aggravate PCOS (independent from carbohydrate) so could be a potential target for removal if you are still consuming it (in any quantity).

Hotpepper20000

diet control is not doing enough, apparently due to my PCOS?????
I too have PCOS and metformin has helped with many of my symptoms.
My understanding is that it is one of a very few that can be used for PCOS
I did notice and even better improvement the lower carb I go.
I feel for you because metformin did. do a number on my stomach for a while.
I think the key for me was VERY gradually increasing. I took one for Six weeks and then the second for and other six weeks.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you still eat wheat? I understand you are carbohydrate restricted, but wheat is thought to cause or aggravate PCOS (independent from carbohydrate) so could be a potential target for removal if you are still consuming it (in any quantity).
Do you have a link to information about this please?

M

Member496333

As is tradition, I do not. I get most of my info from books and podcasts. I try to avoid internet research as much as reasonably possible, since it’s mostly like swimming through a sea of b******* :shifty:

I may be mistaken, of course, but I’m sure I’ve read/heard more than once that wheat is a suspected culprit in more health issues than anyone would ever guess - PCOS being one. If you’re of a mind, have a look at the book Wheat Belly by William Davis. I can’t recall if it specifically mentions PCOS but I’d be surprised if it doesn’t.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hotpepper20000

Just one woman’s experience, I cut out all grains and noticed a remarkable change. My skin cleared up, brain fog and my hair took four years, but did get much thicker.
I suffered from SAD. The last couple of winters that has been nonexistent. I am not keto. Just low carb.
And I was tested for gluten allergies and it came up negative. So it is more then just the gluten.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just one woman’s experience, I cut out all grains and noticed a remarkable change. My skin cleared up, brain fog and my hair took four years, but did get much thicker.
I suffered from SAD. The last couple of winters that has been nonexistent. I am not keto. Just low carb.
And I was tested for gluten allergies and it came up negative. So it is more then just the gluten.
Interesting. I can't have white flour as it gives me digestive issues. I will do more research.

Hotpepper20000

My experience has been that it’s not just the amount of carbs but where it comes from.
And it’s such a personal thing. The only thing you can do is experiment and see what works for you.
If some one told me ten years ago, how much a grain free life would improve my life I would have thought they where crazy.

M

Member496333

My experience has been that it’s not just the amount of carbs but where it comes from.
And it’s such a personal thing. The only thing you can do is experiment and see what works for you.
If some one told me ten years ago, how much a grain free life would improve my life I would have thought they where crazy.

Bingo. It's not all about carbohydrate. Many, if not most, of the benefits people report from low-carb/keto diets can be at least partially attributed to the reduction or cessation of grains. Modern wheat especially.

Bazer2000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi its a SGL2 reuptake inhibitor so stops reabsorption of sugars from your urine as it passes through the kidney. Similar to dapagliflozin. I have been on it for 5 plus years after insulin did not work for my type 2. Generally great and helps loose the lbs I was 95kg but am now 72kg mostly lost in year 1-2. Only downside is the sugar ends up in your urine and tends to encourage fungal infections. I am still on metformin but not convinced its doing much for me. Hope this helps
Barry

Ps the other thing as its not as common as insulin based treatment my diabetic nurse / user group does not know as much about the detail as I would have liked. For example does clearance of carbs depend on fluid consumption rates? Also for me no sign of hypos either during the day or nocturnally which I used to be sensitive to when taking insulin.

Bazer2000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sorry it should have been SGLT2 reuptake inhibitor not SGL2 to be correct.
Cheers
Barry

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How do things work out for you if you don't take metformin?
I don't take Metformin and I hope never will go back on them I suffered for 15 years or more terrible diarrhoea now I'm on Empaglifozin it change my life by going on them