Guidelines for Libre

NorfolkNic

Could anyone please point me in the right direction of the NHS guidelines to qualify for the libre.
As I am now self funding will this stop me meeting the guidelines?
Sorry for so many questions x

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just because you self fund would not stop you getting the libre on nhs .1 of the criteria for libre is that you fingerprick at least 8+times a day

Reactions: NorfolkNic

NorfolkNic

I am wondering if being on 2 types of blood thinners would help with funding in accordance with the NHS guidelines, finger pricking 8+ times a day on blood thinners mean I produce aot of excess blood !!!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I self funded for two years. It was due to my self funding I got the Libre. It showed in real time what I was having to do to maintain good levels. I rarely finger pricked and still don’t. I managed to reduce my HbA1c each year and it is now 47. Which was part of the criteria for self funders.

NorfolkNic

Wow that's a fantastic level.
Do you have a copy of the NHS guidelines for self funding at all ?
I self funded for two years. It was due to my self funding I got the Libre. It showed in real time what I was having to do to maintain good levels. I rarely finger pricked and still don’t. I managed to reduce my HbA1c each year and it is now 47. Which was part of the criteria for self funders.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Using the libre isn't finger pricking though so I guess I'd have to do both ?
im afraid so but only till you get your libre .i only check with a fingerprick now if libre reads low/high as sometimes its a bit out in its readings .

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I said earlier getting the Libre for me had nothing to do with finger pricking. The only results the consultant was interested in were from the Libre. It was showing how I needed to keep changing my basal every few weeks to adjust to levels that keep altering. I also have to split bolus doses. The other way to control this would be to have a pump. This would cost more than the Libre. So the Libre won. Plus I don’t really want a pump and would prefer the Libre.

NorfolkNic

I've just been emailing my diabetic dietitian and she said the consultant isn't interested in any information from the libre but wants all my bs readings written down on paper. My appointment is Dec 12 but that is likely to be cancelled ( they usually are ) so I will just have to wait and see
As I said earlier getting the Libre for me had nothing to do with finger pricking. The only results the consultant was interested in were from the Libre. It was showing how I needed to keep changing my basal every few weeks to adjust to levels that keep altering. I also have to split bolus doses. The other way to control this would be to have a pump. This would cost more than the Libre. So the Libre won. Plus I don’t really want a pump and would prefer the Libre.

NorfolkNic

Has anyone used kinesiology tape to cover their libre? I tried tagergerm but it made my arm red and itchy. It's starting to peel a little bit so I need something to help it last as long as possible.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone used kinesiology tape to cover their libre? I tried tagergerm but it made my arm red and itchy. It's starting to peel a little bit so I need something to help it last as long as possible.
Yes, I use Kinesiology tape and find it very good. I do have an allergy to 'sticky plasters' and sometimes itch a bit when I've first applied it. I just take an antihistamine for 1 or 2 days, depending on how it feels, afterwhich it seems to settle down for the duration

Before applying, cut the corners into a curve so that it doesn't peel off so easily/quickly. I also put a disc of paper (a bit smaller than the sensor) under the tape. It makes it easier to remove the tape during the lifetime of the sensor, should you need to.

Also, after the sensor has been removed, I rub in some baby oil / body lotion over the site. It seems to lessen any skin reaction when the site is used next. The baby oil also helps soften any remaining sticky stuff and then it's easy to gently rub off.

Hope this helps you ;)

NorfolkNic

Yes, I use Kinesiology tape and find it very good. I do have an allergy to 'sticky plasters' and sometimes itch a bit when I've first applied it. I just take an antihistamine for 1 or 2 days, depending on how it feels, afterwhich it seems to settle down for the duration

Before applying, cut the corners into a curve so that it doesn't peel off so easily/quickly. I also put a disc of paper (a bit smaller than the sensor) under the tape. It makes it easier to remove the tape during the lifetime of the sensor, should you need to.

Also, after the sensor has been removed, I rub in some baby oil / body lotion over the site. It seems to lessen any skin reaction when the site is used next. The baby oil also helps soften any remaining sticky stuff and then it's easy to gently rub off.

Hope this helps you ;)
It does massively, thank you, great advice about inserting a piece of card too. X

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does massively, thank you, X
:)
great advice about inserting a piece of card too. X
I have to admit to using any ol' bit of scrap paper LOL No one will see the paper, only you, before you put your tape over it. A tip, though, re using kinsology tape: try not to touch the sticky side as it will subsequently not stick so well. Also, I pull 1/2 the backing off, stick 1/2 the circle of paper to the tape, with the other 1/2 overlapping on the backing tape, then I position the paper on the sensor and hold securely before sticking the tape down, leaving the end with backing tape still stuck to the tape to be the last bit to stick down as you remove it. I just find this way is easier. I don't know that I could do that on back of arm but I use my thighs, slightly towards inner thigh - just happens to be the best site for me (because of other issues unrelated to diabetes) ;)

NorfolkNic

Thanks for the advice, I have never thought of the thighs that's a great place to put it, I will try that next time x
:)

I have to admit to using any ol' bit of scrap paper LOL No one will see the paper, only you, before you put your tape over it. A tip, though, re using kinsology tape: try not to touch the sticky side as it will subsequently not stick so well. Also, I pull 1/2 the backing off, stick 1/2 the circle of paper to the tape, with the other 1/2 overlapping on the backing tape, then I position the paper on the sensor and hold securely before sticking the tape down, leaving the end with backing tape still stuck to the tape to be the last bit to stick down as you remove it. I just find this way is easier. I don't know that I could do that on back of arm but I use my thighs, slightly towards inner thigh - just happens to be the best site for me (because of other issues unrelated to diabetes) ;)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t understand why you would have to write down blood results. Do they not just download your machine. The nurse downloads it and it is on the screen in front of the consultant when I go in for my consultation. Sounds like your consultant needs to join the 21st century. Plus if you are wearing the Libre for a while, the impact of the results are very important for management advice.

Reactions: porl69