It is what it is........

For those of you who have been diagnosed as T2, and who don’t match the stereotype as portrayed in the press......it is what it is. Just over a year ago I was diagnosed as T2 with HbA1C at 49 (HbA1C level, not age , I am 65) having hovered on the mid 40’s for 5 years or so. Over that time I moderated my diet (not hugely as it w as a good diet in my view) but nothing returned me to less than prediabetic numbers.

In the past 12 months I have moved to a “medium” carb diet, limiting myself to 45g of carbs pr meal 3 times per day, no snacks.....

I am back at 45, which is a bit dispiriting, as I thought I may control it to less than prediabetic. Not taken any meds though, as I want to stay clear if possible

My GP says I may never get there, but that I am significantly helping myself every day that I control my condition, and keep my numbers in a half decent condition.

I agree with her. I am 10 stone 7 lb, with a BMI of 23. Laughingly the medics say I could do to lose another half stone or more.

I have decided tor ignore all, and just go my own route. I can’t control what my body wants to put out, I have a good diet, and I am trying my best.

By the way, gin and diet tonic, red wine, white wine, Prosecco, champagne, all zero carbs.......result!!!!

And reducing carbs is not so difficult, unless you are so unfortunate that you have to get down to 30g per day, For which I salute you all that manage that.

Last edited by a moderator:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrahamDewhurst . It sounds like you’ve found a balance that suits and makes you happy. Life is for living.
Congratulations on where you’re at. Could the numbers be better? Maybe . Would you be as happy? Maybe not.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For those of you who have been diagnosed as T2, and who don’t match the stereotype as portrayed in the press......it is what it is. Just over a year ago I was diagnosed as T2 with HbA1C at 49 (HbA1C level, not age , I am 65) having hovered on the mid 40’s for 5 years or so. Over that time I moderated my diet (not hugely as it w as a good diet in my view) but nothing returned me to less than prediabetic numbers.

In the past 12 months I have moved to a “medium” carb diet, limiting myself to 45g of carbs pr meal 3 times per day, no snacks.....

I am back at 45, which is a bit dispiriting, as I thought I may control it to less than prediabetic. Not taken any meds though, as I want to stay clear if possible

My GP says I may never get there, but that I am significantly helping myself every day that I control my condition, and keep my numbers in a half decent condition.

I agree with her. I am 10 stone 7 lb, with a BMI of 23. Laughingly the medics say I could do to lose another half stone or more.

I have decided tor ignore all, and just go my own route. I can’t control what my body wants to put out, I have a good diet, and I am trying my best.

By the way, gin and diet tonic, red wine, white wine, Prosecco, champagne, all zero carbs.......result!!!!

And reducing carbs is not so difficult, unless you are so unfortunate that you have to get down to 30g per day, For which I salute you all that manage that.

Hi @GrahamDewhurst

Nice post, and have to agree with @therower to a large extent.

And the more i read on here the more i appreciate we all tackle this is our own way.

I'm glad you seem to have found your happy medium.

All i wanted to do at Dx was get rid of this and it's awful complications asap.
it was so dispiriting sat in my First Desmonds class, to see the majority seemed resigned to their fate, and the 'progressive' illness part seemed their chosen route.

Me, i joined the Resistance movement.
came on here and read up as much as possible.

the fear i had was that if i ignored it i might, to use an analogy slip out of the orbit of the chance of anywhere near approaching normal BG levels, and the chances of returning to those levels gravitational pull diminish.

we all make some progress on here, the differences in how much we cut carbs, what dietary route we take or what levels we find acceptable for us, must always be personal, with an eye to the guidance and links freely given by like minded members.

I do take joy in others finding a path that suits them.
as @therower says, and i paraphrase "scores can always be better, but at what cost..? "

Live long, live well, my friend.
May the journey go well.