Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of course that is the resting place of the Reverend John Robinson.

Who happens to be in my family tree would you believe.

Reverend John Robinson
1576–1625
BIRTH 30 JUN 1576 • Le Steeple, Lincolnshire, England
DEATH 1 MAR 1625 • Leyden, Leiden, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
4th great-uncle of wife of 6th cousin 8x removed

I love organ music

They mentioned John Robinson on the program.
My Dutch ancestors came to America from Zuid Holland -- a couple of centuries after the Pilgrims, and to Michigan, not Massachusetts.

I love organ music too, and for several years attended a church that had a wonderful 4-manual Aeolian-Skinner organ. I used to love being in the nave when the organist was practicing -- that instrument will make the floor vibrate. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reverend John Robinson
1576–1625
BIRTH 30 JUN 1576 • Le Steeple, Lincolnshire, England
DEATH 1 MAR 1625 • Leyden, Leiden, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
4th great-uncle of wife of 6th cousin 8x removed

Please tell me Ancestry.com worked that relationship out for you! I won't believe you if you say you worked it out. :hilarious:

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Please tell me Ancestry.com worked that relationship out for you! I won't believe you if you say you worked it out. :hilarious:
Yes it did there is no way I would have worked it out myself.:)

As there are now 50491 people in my Ancestry .com tree I just get lost in it now I think I better start pruning it now

I only take about half of it seriously any way.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The day before yesterday a friend of ours contacted us she had had a nasty fall in her home a few days ago and she was having trouble rearranging an appointment and asked us if we could help which we did. Thing is it turned out to be an appointment for an annual diabetic eye screening she has been T2 for 4 years and we had no idea she had hidden it so well.

Gob smacked amazement hba1c of 130 when diagnosed incredible.

Must add she has lost weight and last hba1c was 54 so she is doing incredibly well.

Reactions: Shahnaz2357

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it did there is no way I would have worked it out myself.:)

As there are now 50491 people in my Ancestry .com tree I just get lost in it now I think I better start pruning it now

I only take about half of it seriously any way.

I find I get obsessed with it all. My tree has 28,350 people on it. I get lost in mine all the time. I wish I had separated my maternal and paternal lines before I uploaded my tree, but I didn't. After Mr. Blue decided to do his DNA I had to open an account for him and as he has very little interest I have complete charge of his tree as well as mine. I sometimes struggle to remember which account I am in.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is a guy in my tree a great uncle I think he was a master black smith and worked for the Stevenson company building the first steam engines thing is I can't remember his name some times I wish there were more search options.

Judith's tree has about 4,000 names in it but as it turned out we are actually distant cousins our trees sort of interlock.

When you start on Ancestry dot com you just don't know where it will take you or what you may find for instance according to it my step father turned out to be my fourth cousin but neither families had any idea of the connection.

Hasten to add they both met in later life and married and there was no chance of me ending up with brother/sister cousins and I did not make the connection till well after both of them were no longer with us.

Keep adding I actually found my father's family via ancestry dot com and we regularly communicate by email I had no contact with them prior to that.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used ancestry.com ages ago when it was free and people shared the results of their own research on it. I "met" a distant cousin there, whose files matched up with my own.

Unfortunately, I also found results posted by several people who had no idea how to do research or cite their sources, and while I found some interesting "info" about an ancestor of mine, the person who posted it had cited no sources whatsoever so I could not include it in my family history. Ever since then, I've seldom been tempted to look at it, and never to pay money to do so.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep adding I actually found my father's family via ancestry dot com and we regularly communicate by email I had no contact with them prior to that.

That is wonderful!

One reason I started doing family history many years ago was to find my paternal grandfather. It is also the reason why I did the DNA test. However, as I haven't a clue what his name is it is an impossible task. I have exhausted all possibilities. The DNA may eventually be of some use, but all I know is he had an only daughter born before 1914. If she never married, or had no children, the line is lost.

I agree with you @SaskiaKC that there are many Ancestry contributors that have no idea how to research or to record their sources. Many simply copy from others without verifying what they add. I can't tell you how many don't even bother to look at maps. Numerous wives having children when they are well above child bearing age, children baptised in churches hundreds of miles from where the parents live, similarly burials. I even saw one whose son was older than he was! Having said all that, it is a remarkable resource for those of us who do verify and research, and who get off our bums and do some field research in graveyards and county record archives.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The day before yesterday I rang my surgery to book my blood draw and review with the Health Care Assistant prior to my annual review with my DN. I was gobsmacked when the receptionist booked me in for yesterday afternoon at 2-15. I was so taken aback (expecting it to be at least a week away) that I took little notice of the time. 2-15pm and I have to fast!!!! So, yesterday I fasted, skipping breakfast and lunch apart from 3 cups of tea with hardly any skimmed milk and plenty of water. She did the usual stuff, blood pressure, pulse, weighing and blood draw. She then took my HbA1c vial down to my DN who organised for it to be tested twice at the 2 different labs as per my GP's instructions a year or two ago. It was almost 3pm by this time.
Imagine my shock when I looked on-line earlier today to find all the results showing, having been entered by my DN sometime this morning. That was quick work!! The HbA1c from the second lab isn't back yet.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can get some really nasty surprises. I had to tell my parents that Dad was a cousin, couple x removed to Kim Philby. As a career army chappie, he was horrified.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The day before yesterday I rang my surgery to book my blood draw and review with the Health Care Assistant prior to my annual review with my DN. I was gobsmacked when the receptionist booked me in for yesterday afternoon at 2-15. I was so taken aback (expecting it to be at least a week away) that I took little notice of the time. 2-15pm and I have to fast!!!! So, yesterday I fasted, skipping breakfast and lunch apart from 3 cups of tea with hardly any skimmed milk and plenty of water. She did the usual stuff, blood pressure, pulse, weighing and blood draw. She then took my HbA1c vial down to my DN who organised for it to be tested twice at the 2 different labs as per my GP's instructions a year or two ago. It was almost 3pm by this time.
Imagine my shock when I looked on-line earlier today to find all the results showing, having been entered by my DN sometime this morning. That was quick work!! The HbA1c from the second lab isn't back yet.

That is quick work! :)

I used to love visiting various county courthouses to look up family history records, and looking at Census records online. I worked on mostly my father's family because no one in his family had kept any records other than one family Bible. Luckily the courthouses with his family records are very close to the old family church with several of the ancestors' graves. I know that clerks and Census takers can misspell names and things but at least I feel I'm getting the most accurate info available.
Two of my mother's sisters did a lot of their family history research at cemeteries and courthouses, years before the Internet existed. The records they compiled, added to the family stories my parents told me, really got me interested in doing more research.
One of the two towns I am thinking of moving to is not far from the home of my father's paternal ancestors. The old homestead is long gone, and the graves were moved years ago to a municipal cemetery, but there is still a church there, and I'm told the local library has a good genealogy department.
I can't decide whether to move there, and be able to do the research as well as be close to large-town amenities, or move to a much smaller town where I have no family history at all but which seems to offer rural amenities and peace going forward. ...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You can get some really nasty surprises. I had to tell my parents that Dad was a cousin, couple x removed to Kim Philby. As a career army chappie, he was horrified.
Yes it can be a bit hairy sometimes
Both John F Kennedy and Lee Harvey Oswald are in my tree who would have thought it.

And Lizzie Borden who supposedly took an axe and gave her mother (step mother) forty wacks.
And what is maybe even worse one Benedict Arnold.

And sadly Abigail Folger whose only crime was to be in Sharron Tate's house when the Manson Family arrived.

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MY ancestor Catherine was sent to Australia as a convict for stealing a chicken. The man she later shacked up with was also an ex convict charged with stealing a ham and a handkerchief.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
MY ancestor Catherine was sent to Australia as a convict for stealing a chicken. The man she later shacked up with was also an ex convict charged with stealing a ham and a handkerchief.
Sounds like the perfect match! Ham and eggs, and a handkerchief to clean your hands :p

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since parents passed and the rest of the family have no interest, I cancelled my ancestry subscription. A shame I cannot reply to the odd message. Can't justify the cost though. I had a blast over several years. Did my family, husband's and other friends and relatives. As someone said, goback far enough, we are probably all related.

D

Deleted member 308541

Did my family, husband's and other friends and relatives. As someone said, goback far enough, we are probably all related.
I have never bothered to do a family tree, if my ancestors were anything like my parents I did not want to know about them... :meh:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

That is a tragedy really.

An uncle of mine was transported to Australia in 1817 . He was convicted of High Treason and was initially sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered but this was commuted to life transportation due to excellent character references. There is no doubt he was a major armed conspirator in the uprising. After some time he was given a ticket to send for his wife but she declined to go. He was later given a free pardon and elected to remain in Australia. His son emigrated with his family to try and find him, but there is no evidence that he did. However, that has given rise to a whole line in Australia related to me.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Ah the Pentrich Revolution it was all Oliver and Lord Sidmouth.

The weavers and miners of Derbyshire were provoked into it and then treated so harshly very sad.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of my research was fun. I had a good relationship with the local Mormon community getting the films to read. She told me about her ancestor who had an inappropriate relationship with a donkey!

I can't compete with that, I am a little sad it is over but I can't justify the cost