Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @Antje77 . That's really interesting. I will take a look at the wikipedia article you linked and see if I can figure it out. If not, I will come back here and ask you for a word-for-word translation! ;):angelic:

ETA: Wikipedia offered a clickable translation. And, interestingly, an e-book about Amsterdam that I had requested from the library last week just arrived for my Nook. Maybe it will have some info too.

Reactions: Antje77

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is Daisy still around? People used to tag her when a new member asked a question. I just read a new post and nobody replied after 4 hours. I said Hi but I don't know who we're supposed to tag now on new members' questions.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is Daisy still around? People used to tag her when a new member asked a question. I just read a new post and nobody replied after 4 hours. I said Hi but I don't know who we're supposed to tag now on new members' questions.
No, Daisy has retired from welcoming new members. If you see a post where Daisy's piece of information would be good, you can simply write something friendly and welcoming, and post the link to 'Newly diagnosed: what you should know'.

You can find the link in any mods signature (turn phone in landscape mode if you use the app).
It's also found as a sticky thread in both the 'Greetings and introductions' and 'Newly diagnosed' subforums.

And here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Very nice if you post something welcoming to new members, thank you!

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much, @Antje77 . I have bookmarked that link on my computer so I can access it again if the need arises.

Cheers.

How is Famke today?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for bookmarking the link to help catch new members who feel they're falling with no way to soften their landing, it's much appreciated!

Famke is doing very well, mother is having a pretty hard time, finding lots of new fears and adapting to the new situation, so all is as it should be :)

I hope to visit again tomorrow or saturday. For now the new parents need as much time together as they can get between visitors, maternity nurse and trying to catch up on some sleep.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw this today while looking at pictures of blue whales. It made me wish I were the sort of creature who does not know -- and therefore does not worry -- about all its internal organs and what they do and how they function. Who, like most creatures, has instincts about what foods are good for it and which ones are not food for it at all, and doesn't have chefs or dietitians telling it.

blue-whale-tb_tcm25-561207.jpg

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wonder what the carb content of half a ton of krill is.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just went back and added a whale of a word that I'd left out of my post!

For a 20g serving of krill -- .04g carbs x 8,000 lbs. of krill per day (= 3,628,739g) ...

Sigh I am so not good at math ... :banghead:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think the answer for the american half ton is some where in the region of 454 grams of carbohydrate so would be in line with nice guide lines.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure what creatures you've encountered, but definitely not my dogs...

Hahaha I was thinking of dogs when I wrote that, which is why I put "most" creatures. Hoof parings come to mind, as well as a neighbor who stood by at one end of the leash while her dog ate something unidentified at the other and then proceeded to redeposit it all along the carpeted corridor once they'd come back inside ...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hahaha I was thinking of dogs when I wrote that, which is why I put "most" creatures
What about cats? I'm not completely sure about hummus but pretty sure salted pistachio's and cashews aren't part of their optimal diet and very sure cheese and onion crisps aren't...
One of them is so keen on hummus and salted nuts (but not peanuts of course, Poes has an exquisite taste and wants only the more expensive nuts) that I wait with my midnight snack until he's left the bed.
I seem to remember from a very distant pre diabetic past his behaviour with cheese and onion crisps was the same.
And then there are the chickens. Given the choice between plain rice and way to salty nasi their preference is clear.
The pigeons and gulls in Amsterdam basically live on chips by choice.
And don't even get me started about the dietary preferences of my fathers/my white rat...

On the other hand, the guinea pigs and rabbits seem to make sensible choices.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember -- vaguely -- reading about some city that imported hordes of sparrows in an attempt to get rid of some sort of pests, only to learn that the sparrows they imported were seed eaters, not meat eaters.
I remember more clearly sitting outside an Arby's one day eating roast beef sandwiches and potato cakes and learning that the sparrows there ignored bits of bun and potato but jumped right onto bits of roast beef.
And my cat's "balanced" diet consists of canned chicken, turkey, beef, and occasional duck, when it probably should consist of canned songbird, mouse, shrew, and chipmunk. She prefers the chicken and turkey to fish. I have never seen canned rabbit in pet shops here.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's salted herring, not suitable to gulls, according to humans. Gulls have a different opinion :)
(New herring tastes so good! My favorite fish place has a poster that says their herring tastes like a French kiss with a mermaid!)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's salted herring, not suitable to gulls, according to humans. Gulls have a different opinion :)
(New herring tastes so good! My favorite fish place has a poster that says their herring tastes like a French kiss with a mermaid!)

Bet they don't attract many female customers! :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been getting alerts for this thread, so have been absent. I have some reading on it to catch up with. Off on holiday later today but will return to do my catching up once we are settled in to our cottage. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my cats used to mug us for red lentil dhal.
I put a big dollop in her bowl once, in a 'see, you don't want it really, do you?' kind of way.

And she ate the lot.
Heaven knows what that amount did to her insides, but I always gave her a tiny taste after that, because she obviously loved it.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I remember having a similar thing happen to me when sitting eating fish and chips on Newquay front some years ago the seagull nearly took the my fingers with the chips.