Have you ever lied about having T1D...?

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lawsuits are costly. And they cover themselves with those clauses, hopefully they do because anyone can sue anyone. I don't blame them at all. So if we ignore the warnings and don't tell, then it becomes totally on us and our responsibility, our decision.

I have sometimes told so I get an honest answer (surgery) and sometimes not if I really wanted to do something and felt I could. (gym and hot tubs, although not hot tubs anymore, my sugars skyrocket nowadays)

I get the hot tub issue, spas too, not that i find time to enjoy them much! I can't be bothered with the whole question and answer session. I can manage it myself and if i went low/high i get early warning signs and there's always someone with me.
Crazy that hot tubs make your readings go up, they drop mine like crazy! I have to make sure they're above target to begin with and i still come out low!

Reactions: Marie 2

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm like you @Shannon27 but I only hottub after a good days skiing (so very infrequent!), so like my skiing my bloods crash and burn........

Lied about being T1? No officer. :hilarious:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
My system seems a little warped, most people do drop with hot water/showers. If I try to get in a shower in the am I can go up 60 points in a half hour. I avoid am showers. Afternoons/evenings aren’t as bad but I always have to take lukewarm showers now as because of my quick change in BG level I just don’t feel good otherwise.

But I drop during dentist visits, doctors, surgery and also high stress! A lot of other people seem to climb? I have to go to the dentist with higher levels to make up for the drop and I usually also do a temp basal decrease if I am having prolonged work.

We can all be so different!

Teels

As per the question, have you ever covered up the fact that you have Type 1, and why? Not that I'm planning on telling a fib of course
Why would anyone want to lie about it...someone in the know might just be your life saver one day....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why would anyone want to lie about it...someone in the know might just be your life saver one day....

.. Or not?! o_O

A couple of years ago at my place of work I cut my finger on a peice of swarf..
Asking for a plaster, the "first aider" seized the chance to dress the wound. (He worked the machine next to mine.)

The following day he asked how's my hand. I replied "healed pretty quick for a diabetic, but I'll keep it covered due to the coolant stinging it a bit?"

Lol, he went up the wall "you should have told me you are a diabetic what if you faint?"

Now the issue was. I'd already told him months prior I was. ..
I also knew whilst in conversation back then, his wife had been diabetic "on & off. & now diabetic again." (His words not mine.) I ascertained it started for her as gestational? (Second child?) He quite literally didn't have a clue.. :banghead:

I basically instructed him that only in the "unfortunate event" the roof caved in on the building & I was trapped. Please by all means let the emergency services handle my condition on rescue..

Saunas/hot tubs? Increase my insulin sensitivity.. Lowering BG.

I can quite understand a D "omitting the fact" of the condition. We just want a slice of "normality," like everyone else.
Armed with experience, forward planning & a meter, it is quite possible to walk away from the endeavour & seek new adventures.. :)

Yep, I'll own up!
I've had cause now & again to "neglect" mentioning my condition for the last 43 years..

Reactions: Marie 2

Loraines

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not having dessert, potatoes, pasta, rice, bread ....
You honest bunch I'm just feeling a bit miffed as I was turned down for something... this hasn't happened before in my 12 yrs of diabetes so I'm almost wishing I'd notbeen so honest!
I agree. I felt so sure I was acing an interview and then I told her I was diabetic and could see her attitude change. I didn’t get the job as I ‘didn’t fit culturally’. Rubbish.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. I felt so sure I was acing an interview and then I told her I was diabetic and could see her attitude change. I didn’t get the job as I ‘didn’t fit culturally’. Rubbish.

Oddly, I was offered a position that involved training for & driving HGVs once.
I was sorry to inform the boss it wasn't going to happen..? He looke non plussed at my "excuse" & felt there was a way round it...

I personally never felt an issue with my diabetes.. Long hair, however...? As an image choice as a man, (& the easy H&S steps to remedy during working hours.) sepperate topic. ;)

Reactions: porl69

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One story from me that might just be useful. A few years ago I worked with someone who was type 1, and although then I did not know much about it, at least I was aware. He had made no secret of it. Due to working with just me in a cold warehouse, and being late for his meal, he started to behave oddly. I was able to realise something was wrong and call for help from the first aider, and we were able to assist him. How different it might have been if nobody had known and he had been left alone.

Reactions: Dodo

Jellytots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dishonest people, cruelty to animals, leaking cannulas!
I agree. However being T1 and working in a spa I see both sides.... We always advise against using the aromatherapy oils when having a massage as these can fluctuate Glucose levels, same with hot stones (with the addition of feeling the heat of the stones etc) however, knowing my body and how my BG levels usually react to things, I always use the aromatherapy oils when having a massage and adjust my basal rate accordingly. You know your body better than anyone.

I've also fibbed about my T1 when having my ear lobes pierced years back. A certain high street chain refused to do them in their store as the initial piercing would cause me to go low apparently, when for me any stress or trauma cause sme to go high-to say I was slightly miffed was an understatement when I argued the toss. Instead I walked to the other end of the town centre to their other store and just didn't announce I was T1. Problem solved

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to never tell people that I’ve got type 1 diabetes. When I do tell people I always get stupid questions such as ‘oh you’re so young how did you end up with diabetes’.Honestly it frustrates me so much to the point where I can’t be bothered to explain to people what the condition actually is.
I was even dating a guy a while back and he ended up dumping me because he said it was too much for him to deal with lol , even though my diabetes is controlled and I have no complications.

Reactions: Shannon27

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to never tell people that I’ve got type 1 diabetes. When I do tell people I always get stupid questions such as ‘oh you’re so young how did you end up with diabetes’.Honestly it frustrates me so much to the point where I can’t be bothered to explain to people what the condition actually is.

It's so annoying isn't it!!!

MarkHaZ123

I can sort of understand him now I'm a type 1. Its all new to me and I hate it but deal with it as you have to.
He obviously doesn't know anything about it and so is scared to even ask you about stuff.

Iv had that thought of who would be with me now if me and my lass split up. Its hard enough for her to be getting her head around never mind someone you have only just met.

Yet T1 isn't the end of the world as like you say you are under control
I was even dating a guy a while back and he ended up dumping me because he said it was too much for him to deal with lol , even though my diabetes is controlled and I have no complications.