Roxyharford

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Absolute Imbeciles !!!!!

I personally have had this happen too, now it pushed me the other way I was so offended and upset... I became belligerent about upsetting these selfish individuals as much as I possibly could and asked them intelligent questions which they will be most likely too stupid & embarrassed to answer
Get everything visibly out in front of them to offend them as much as possible !!!!! (Very important 1st step)
Make an ongoing statement about how critical this medical process is to be sterile so to avoid you getting an infection & needing GP to sign you off with time off work ! (Makes you want to lol when you see their expressions) !!
Ask why I/you should be made to risk dropping my/your delicate/lifesaving/expensive (soon to be scare medical equipment - see below) whilst balancing everything in one hand& leg due to others disgusting toilet habits rather than completing in a clean safe place ? (No answer will be available from them & if they do have the nerve to suggest another place.... provide same answer !!!
Ask them which brexit choice they would personally make in your situation based specifically on the huge problems regarding restricted Medical Supplies due to the Brexit complexities regarding Medical Imports ... ask for their input !!!
Ask how they would feel if they or one of their family had an Acute Medical Condition and had to cope with a ‘delicate objector who chose to be nosy rather than have the decorum to look away’ ???

Then Ask your Manager if they have discussed this illegal conversation they had with you already with their HR team... we come under the Disability Act even though majority of time it’s an invisible Disability and also for self amusement add in the Human Rights Law.

If you don’t feel as Beligerant as me about this just talk to your Manger tell them how upset and hurt you are and ask them the last question or if you don’t feel comfortable having that conversation with your manager please go straight to HR.

This is a hard enough condition to cope with you deserve support from your family, friends & work colleagues especially Claire xx

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you everyone for your replies, I have been offered a smaller side kitchen to go and test in but don’t see why I should have to as I’m not the one with the problem I’m happy to test at my desk and this is done in seconds whereas getting up and leaving the room each time is disruptive to my work and also should if I want to for privacy not for someone else’s sake. I’m standing my ground and will take it further if I have to.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your replies, I have been offered a smaller side kitchen to go and test in but don’t see why I should have to as I’m not the one with the problem I’m happy to test at my desk and this is done in seconds whereas getting up and leaving the room each time is disruptive to my work and also should if I want to for privacy not for someone else’s sake. I’m standing my ground and will take it further if I have to.

Good for you. It's not even about 'getting one up' on them, in my view it now becomes a matter of principle for ALL people in similar situations. I say test where and when you need to, in fact maybe your colleague can go and sit in the smaller side kitchen until you've finished, by being creative you could keep her in there all day, they can put the kettle on whilst they're at it. Please keep us posted if you can. x

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm not a T1 and nor do I inject insulin. Your manager needs to educate the "offended" personnel.

What's next? Halitosis complaint?

Last edited:

SallyEzra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh!, I am so shocked by your recent experience at work, it sounds like something out of the dark ages!. You, and other people writing here, have also made me reflect on the fact that I must have been really fortunate in the past 30+ years & whether I have sufficiently thanked those that I have worked with for their unequivocal support when taking blood sugars, injections, changing pump accessories, increased hypos during pregnancies & even assisting me with sticking on new sticky plasters onto my CGM. I certainly will be dishing out extra thanks now!.

David Krieger

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T2 and inject Insulin. There are several things that people do in public that others find offensive. Changing a baby's nappy in a restaurant, smoking in a public place or even breast feeding can destroy the enjoyment of others. There is also a question of hygiene- shouldn't you wash your hands before pricking your finger? The activities mentioned above (with the exception of smoking) should be carried out in a quiet calm atmosphere and not in the hubbub of a noisy office or restaurant. There should be a special place for diabetics to take insulin as there are for changing nappies (or even smoking) but while there aren't, the best place is the toilet facilities. It is the sink and a quiet place that is needed not the actual toilet. Diabetes is an unfortunate illness which needs to monitored and controlled and while there is no need to be ashamed of it, it doesn't have to be in the face of others.
There has to be boundaries for behaving in public or what will be next ?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
WOW! That is totally unacceptable. After 48 years of T1D I have never had a problem in work. Saying that I am VERY vocal and say exactly whats on my mind....so luckily I havent had to use that particular skill :)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you continue to test and stand your ground. Or ask them to fund a freestyle Libre for you to avoid the bleeding issue!
Seriously it is the person with the blood phobia who needs help and avoidance of a tiny spec of blood which you are not waving in their face will not help them deal with the problem. What happens if someone staples their thumb or has a nose bleed?
Obviously your management have just gone for the easiest but least effective solution to a non problem.

Reactions: Dodo

Margie@home

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been Type 1 for 62 years. I have never injected in public. Possibly because when I was first on Insulin the syringes were made of glass and the insulin came in small bottles. A nightmare ! Thank goodness things are so easy now. At my age I feel lucky I use a Libra which saves all the sore fingers. I funded this for nearly 3 years but now get it on the NHS. So Hypos are avoided. The insulin pens are so easy to use and I have never come to any harm injecting in toilets. I still have a phobia with needles and hate blood tests.

Rach85

Hi there,

I am so sorry you have had to go through this at work. I am a mum to a 9 year old type 1, so have no experience myself, but really trying to bring her up with the attitude of do it where it needs to be done, descrete but where you stand/sit. I know it has been said that the toilets for a sink, we use dia wipes so can be done anywhere. I work in an office and me sat behind my desk would be much more secluded than a side in the kitchen or stood by a sink in the toilet...if this was an epi-pen because of a nut allergy would they drag you to the kitchen/toilet then while your were in anaphylaxis or sort you where you were... So why would they expect it with symptoms of a hypo!?!? As others have said, I too think it's ignorance and lack of knowledge, educate them and if that still doesn't get them to see I'd be throwing the equality act at them.

Good luck

Thank you for your reply I feel exactly the same, I’m fuming and am pretty certain they cannot stop me doing it at my own desk, yes then can ask but I can just as easily say no. I will also suggest the other person changes their dinner time if they can’t cope with it after all I’m the one who needs to eat when I need to eat

Could you speak to the person who complained and explain the situation? Maybe they are just ignorant about the necessity of having to inject?

Last edited by a moderator:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T2 and inject Insulin. There are several things that people do in public that others find offensive. Changing a baby's nappy in a restaurant, smoking in a public place or even breast feeding can destroy the enjoyment of others. There is also a question of hygiene- shouldn't you wash your hands before pricking your finger? The activities mentioned above (with the exception of smoking) should be carried out in a quiet calm atmosphere and not in the hubbub of a noisy office or restaurant. There should be a special place for diabetics to take insulin as there are for changing nappies (or even smoking) but while there aren't, the best place is the toilet facilities. It is the sink and a quiet place that is needed not the actual toilet. Diabetes is an unfortunate illness which needs to monitored and controlled and while there is no need to be ashamed of it, it doesn't have to be in the face of others.
There has to be boundaries for behaving in public or what will be next ?

Each to their own of course but how you can equate using insulin and breastfeeding with smoking and changing nappies, I don't know. Smoking and nappy changing has a direct effect on other people, the other two don't unless you've got some nosy so & so near you.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry you've had this challenge from a colleague. Once, I had a slightly similar situation when, as a teacher in a secondary school, I was asked to please keep my insulin pen in the locked staffroom fridge for Health and Safety! I had to say "No", of course, but it did give me pause for thought, not that I came to any world-shattering conclusions. As someone on insulin, there's no alternative to having insulin pens, insulin, and testing stuff on our person, and being trusted to look after ourselves. We don't yet all have access to pumps. Unfortunately, quite a lot of people, diabetic or not, have a phobia about needles. In a social situation, I test and inject when I need to just where I am, without drawing attention to myself, and I don't look at anyone else. I won't hide or use the bathroom as a place to monitor or inject. (I can't see why that would be a good idea.) People who may, unfortunately, have a needle-phobia need to get help to organise their own ways of dealing with their own problem.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Given how tiny the needles and finger prickers are someone must be watching really closely! I have checked / injected in offices, trains, car parks & even standing by a shop. Pretty sure 99% of people weren't aware of me doing anything.

I'm unapologetic about needing to test and inject. Yeah, maybe the odd person might feel queasy for a few secs but I'll die without it so tough. Not like I get the choice as to whether I like / dislike needles.

Most people are just ignorant as to what it entails. Much prefer my 3 yo neice and her "what are you doing and why?"

Reactions: lizdeluz

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What a nightmare for you, do stand your ground! We’re covered under the Equality Act 2010 and employers need to make “reasonable adjustments” for us to have somewhere clean and private to do the necessary, or to not stop us doing it when we need to.

I needed to change my insulin pump pod while on a nightshift last week, with my current shift pattern it’s not always possible to time it for when I’m at home. I’m currently having a stint with wearing my pump on my thigh, so need to pull my trousers down - if it’s on my tummy I’ll make sure nobody around me is bothered by my doing it and just crack on. My options the other day were either the toilet or the back of an empty ambulance (I’m a student paramedic) so I went for the ambulance on the grounds that it was marginally cleaner and we have work surfaces in there. But I’ve changed my pods, done injections and tested anywhere and everywhere - in the car, in the middle of a castle courtyard, at the back of a gig, on the summit of Snowdon, up a Norwegian glacier as I was motorcycling around the country, in the middle of Grand Central Station, and several locations around Vietnam and Thailand. Basically anywhere and everywhere I’ve needed to - as discreetly as I can but also not caring because it needs to be done. I’ve honestly never had an issue with anyone else in 21 years.

Reactions: EllieM

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone for your continued replies and support, I was pulled aside by my office manager again on Friday to say they are still looking into a resolution and asked me again what I thought could be done about it. I said I have no idea and to be honest It’s not my issue to resolve, I told her I am sticking to my guns and want to continue to test at my own desk, so we shall see what happens this morning it’s really stressful and I’m new to the company just feel sad as I’ve never had a problem for the last 10 yrs at work

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The law states that work have to make reasonable adjustments. I suspect that the offer of using the kitchen could be viewed as reasonable.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your continued replies and support, I was pulled aside by my office manager again on Friday to say they are still looking into a resolution and asked me again what I thought could be done about it. I said I have no idea and to be honest It’s not my issue to resolve, I told her I am sticking to my guns and want to continue to test at my own desk, so we shall see what happens this morning it’s really stressful and I’m new to the company just feel sad as I’ve never had a problem for the last 10 yrs at work

Hi there. good for you but I would just add that if YOU can contribute some ideas then that might help everyone involved. I don't mean by scuttling off to the kitchen (see my earlier replies) but remember this is about you and your comfort & rights so if you leave it completely up to them who knows what they might come up with, they may also say 'Well we asked her and she didn't cooperate at all'. It's a new job as well so if I were you I would work with them whilst retaining your position. x

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a T1 and nor do I inject insulin. Your manager needs to educate the "offended" personnel.

What's next? Halitosis complaint?
People will complain about asthmatic inhalers in the office next!