Why am I not losing weight?

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK so drinks, then breakfast, then lunch, then dinner, then snacks.
With bread and crispbread.

To me it sounds like you are spiking insulin production at least 3-4 times a day and are kind of refeeding with some carbs quite regularly.

That could explain why you don't seem to be able to get into ketosis and thus are failing to lose weight.
You might be one of the "unfortunates" that really needs to go very low carb before the benefits of ketosis start to work their magic.

If you could try for one week maybe skip breakfast entirely and have 2 or 3 coffees with double cream to start the day then have a lunchtime meal and an evening meal with no snacks but eat enough at the mealtimes to get full you may find that the weight loss will start. Maybe try and make one of your 2 meals almost zero carb.. say bacon and eggs that too might help.
Cut out the bread, crispbread, root veg and maybe even the tomatoes and see how you get on.

If breakfast is important to you then maybe just do breakfast and lunch but eat enough to feel sated.

Edit to add I'd also recommend keeping a very detailed food diary for that week including absolutely everything, ideally weighed or measured, so you can see exactly what you are having.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[/Q
OK, I'll try this, but I'll need a few days grace. I've just baked the Nordic Stone Age Bread for the first time, eaten one thin slice and it's rather good. In another half an hour's time I intend checking whether it has caused my blood sugar to rise. I can always freeze it, I suppose (a note of reluctance may be detected here). But, yes, I will definitely do what you suggest. Many thanks.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Graccie,

I am someone who took a long time on very low carbs (under 20 grams a day and usually under 10 grams a day0 who took a long time- weeks before I had any energy at all- during that time I did have plenty of fat so wasn't hungry but had no energy and generally felt awful. I now have much more energy (well I did before I got sick but am recovering)

I suspect that you may have to fully commit to the low carb thing for a few weeks without going out and having anything counting an uncertain amount of carbs After I had been on it for over a month I started losing weight and am continuing to do so. I have pretty much avoided eating out except where I can have a very safe choice- eggs and bacon without toast or a steak for example.

I want to keep my blood sugar levels down but also want to lose weight so I've been really strict.

Good luck

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Gracie204

if your nordic stone age bread recipe was anything like this one
https://nordicfoodliving.com/stone-age-bread/
then I doubt if you will have a problematic bg rise after it.

and it looks delicious!
Hi Brunneria, Yes, earlier on I made the Nordic Stone Age Bread and had a thin slice at 3.30pm. Checked my BG readings two hours later and was pleasantly shocked to discover my BG had actually gone down from 7.3 to 5.9. I don't whether this is a fluke but obviously will continue to monitor BG levels with interest.

I did slightly change the recipe. It recommended that the nuts, seeds, etc to be added as they were, but I decided to blitz them so they were coarsely chopped, and instead of straight olive oil I used ASDA's olive oil with 3% avocado oil and it turned out really good. It held its shape and sliced brilliantly, and with butter and half a slice of cheese it really hit the button taste wise.

Obviously, its not to be eaten without restraints.

I have found that even a small amount of potatoes or protein bread such as HiLo send up my BG levels. So I am living in hope that I'll be able to eat small amounts of this. And considering what goes into the loaf it's got to be nutritionally beneficial.

Fingers crossed!

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it is! after its cooled stick it in the fridge and it will cut thin i make open sandwiches like in denmark ..must get me some prawns!
Hi Diawara, so glad you contacted me. I'd read your letter about the bread and intended to write you with the results of my efforts, and then unintentionally found myself writing about it here. So thank you very much for posting it, and I'm so very pleased that you did. Yes, definitely, an open sandwich with prawns and mayo, and a side salad. Sounds great! I've got to be careful though, daren't go too overboard with it. Take care. And get in touch if you come up with any other brilliant ideas!

Best wishes

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Diawara, so glad you contacted me. I'd read your letter about the bread and intended to write you with the results of my efforts, and then unintentionally found myself writing about it here. So thank you very much for posting it, and I'm so very pleased that you did. Yes, definitely, an open sandwich with prawns and mayo, and a side salad. Sounds great! I've got to be careful though, daren't go too overboard with it. Take care. And get in touch if you come up with any other brilliant ideas!

Best wishes
its pretty moreish but fills you up pretty quick ithink ill thinly slice with a piece of nonstick parchment paper between each and put in sealed containers it the freezer ..only bring out what you need then...

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gracie
You've been given lots of good advice and I'm no expert on diet advice. But, I've read advice on here before where it has been suggested that you get your thyroid tested. That can affect weight and blood sugars I believe, maybe someone with more experience could let you know. Keep trying, I'm sure you'll get there.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
its pretty moreish but fills you up pretty quick ithink ill thinly slice with a piece of nonstick parchment paper between each and put in sealed containers it the freezer ..only bring out what you need then...
Hi
Yes, another good idea. Because it could be hanging around for some time if we're not eating masses of it on a daily basis. I'll go and do that now! TV's rather boring. Blimey, I think the bread's firing up my energy levels!

Best wishes.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gracie
You've been given lots of good advice and I'm no expert on diet advice. But, I've read advice on here before where it has been suggested that you get your thyroid tested. That can affect weight and blood sugars I believe, maybe someone with more experience could let you know. Keep trying, I'm sure you'll get there.
Thank you Mazza, for your posting. As far as I know at this point in time my thyroid appears to be OK. But I'll bear it in mind.

Kind thoughts

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Yes, another good idea. Because it could be hanging around for some time if we're not eating masses of it on a daily basis. I'll go and do that now! TV's rather boring. Blimey, I think the bread's firing up my energy levels!

Best wishes.
also i read somewere that cooked nuts etc tend to go rancid quicker than their raw counterparts.. so the freezing bit must be a good idea...

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
And any thoughts on why I'm not losing weight?

Unfortunately losing weight isn't just down to "calories in" and "calories out" although that obviously has a part to play. I have kept accurate food logs, weighing everything, using PC software called "Weight by Date" to show 10 different attributes of what I've been eating including calories, carbs, protein, cholesterol, calcium, magnesium etc. All my GP said was that my metabolism is "broken". Fixing it is still work in progress.

Reactions: ianf0ster

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would think the maltodextrin in the tablets is the cause of raised blood glucose levels.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322426.php
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322426.php

I wish I knew the answers to the reasons you are not losing weight. I am looking for the answers to that myself.
Dear Pipp

I owe you an apology, as just checking the ingredients of ZERO electrolytes and there was maltodextrin. As you quite rightly say that would send up my blood glucose levels. And there's green tea extract in them, which would account for the lift in my energy levels. Pity they send up my BG levels.

Kind regards

Reactions: Diakat

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Pipp

I owe you an apology, as just checking the ingredients of ZERO electrolytes and there was maltodextrin. As you quite rightly say that would send up my blood glucose levels. And there's green tea extract in them, which would account for the lift in my energy levels. Pity they send up my BG levels.

Kind regards
No apology necessary, @Gracie204, but thank you for coming back with this.
We all learn as we go along.