1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Why am I not losing weight?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Gracie204, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Gracie204

Gracie204 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

2. Gracie204

3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

4. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Graccie,

I am someone who took a long time on very low carbs (under 20 grams a day and usually under 10 grams a day0 who took a long time- weeks before I had any energy at all- during that time I did have plenty of fat so wasn't hungry but had no energy and generally felt awful. I now have much more energy (well I did before I got sick but am recovering)

I suspect that you may have to fully commit to the low carb thing for a few weeks without going out and having anything counting an uncertain amount of carbs After I had been on it for over a month I started losing weight and am continuing to do so. I have pretty much avoided eating out except where I can have a very safe choice- eggs and bacon without toast or a steak for example.

I want to keep my blood sugar levels down but also want to lose weight so I've been really strict.

Good luck

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Diawara

Diawara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

it is! after its cooled stick it in the fridge and it will cut thin i make open sandwiches like in denmark ..must get me some prawns!

6. Gracie204

Hi Brunneria, Yes, earlier on I made the Nordic Stone Age Bread and had a thin slice at 3.30pm. Checked my BG readings two hours later and was pleasantly shocked to discover my BG had actually gone down from 7.3 to 5.9. I don't whether this is a fluke but obviously will continue to monitor BG levels with interest.

I did slightly change the recipe. It recommended that the nuts, seeds, etc to be added as they were, but I decided to blitz them so they were coarsely chopped, and instead of straight olive oil I used ASDA's olive oil with 3% avocado oil and it turned out really good. It held its shape and sliced brilliantly, and with butter and half a slice of cheese it really hit the button taste wise.

Obviously, its not to be eaten without restraints.

I have found that even a small amount of potatoes or protein bread such as HiLo send up my BG levels. So I am living in hope that I'll be able to eat small amounts of this. And considering what goes into the loaf it's got to be nutritionally beneficial.

Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gracie204

Hi Diawara, so glad you contacted me. I'd read your letter about the bread and intended to write you with the results of my efforts, and then unintentionally found myself writing about it here. So thank you very much for posting it, and I'm so very pleased that you did. Yes, definitely, an open sandwich with prawns and mayo, and a side salad. Sounds great! I've got to be careful though, daren't go too overboard with it. Take care. And get in touch if you come up with any other brilliant ideas!

Best wishes

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Diawara

its pretty moreish but fills you up pretty quick ithink ill thinly slice with a piece of nonstick parchment paper between each and put in sealed containers it the freezer ..only bring out what you need then...

9. mazza 2

mazza 2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Gracie
    You've been given lots of good advice and I'm no expert on diet advice. But, I've read advice on here before where it has been suggested that you get your thyroid tested. That can affect weight and blood sugars I believe, maybe someone with more experience could let you know. Keep trying, I'm sure you'll get there.

10. Gracie204

Hi
    Yes, another good idea. Because it could be hanging around for some time if we're not eating masses of it on a daily basis. I'll go and do that now! TV's rather boring. Blimey, I think the bread's firing up my energy levels!

Best wishes.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Gracie204

Thank you Mazza, for your posting. As far as I know at this point in time my thyroid appears to be OK. But I'll bear it in mind.

Kind thoughts

12. Diawara

also i read somewere that cooked nuts etc tend to go rancid quicker than their raw counterparts.. so the freezing bit must be a good idea...

13. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Unfortunately losing weight isn't just down to "calories in" and "calories out" although that obviously has a part to play. I have kept accurate food logs, weighing everything, using PC software called "Weight by Date" to show 10 different attributes of what I've been eating including calories, carbs, protein, cholesterol, calcium, magnesium etc. All my GP said was that my metabolism is "broken". Fixing it is still work in progress.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gracie204

Dear Pipp

I owe you an apology, as just checking the ingredients of ZERO electrolytes and there was maltodextrin. As you quite rightly say that would send up my blood glucose levels. And there's green tea extract in them, which would account for the lift in my energy levels. Pity they send up my BG levels.

Kind regards

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

No apology necessary, @Gracie204, but thank you for coming back with this.
    We all learn as we go along.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook