Type 2 HBA1C actually higher than Libre suggested. Anyone get similar?

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre said 5.4 and blood test said 6.2. Pretty shocked and a little gutted. Any ideas why this might be? Thank you, all.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
Libre can be inaccurate and it doesn’t test your blood but it tests your interstitial fluids. (It’s accurate between 4-8mmol/l) Also the libre lags 15 mins behind finger prick readings. Therefore libre readings might be off by 1-2 levels. My libre said I had a hba1c of 41 - 5.9% but my blood test showed hba1c of 44 - 6.2%? You shouldn’t be too gutted, but do some finger prick readings to see if the libre is a little inaccurate or extremely inaccurate.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
Libre can be inaccurate and it doesn’t test your blood but it tests your interstitial fluids. (It’s accurate between 4-8mmol/l) Also the libre lags 15 mins behind finger prick readings. Therefore libre readings might be off by 1-2 levels. My libre said I had a hba1c of 41 - 5.9% but my blood test showed hba1c of 44 - 6.2%? You shouldn’t be too gutted, but do some finger prick readings to see if the libre is a little inaccurate or extremely inaccurate.

Thanks for sharing. That clarifies things. I guess I’m gutted because I’m self funding, and so beginning to wonder what is the point of the libre if it’s not really accurate as it’s very expensive. However, I like the trends information and I guess the libre can’t replace blood testing.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
If you use X-Drip or Glimp apps on an android phone with the Libre and calibrate using blood finger-prick tests, then the HbA1c is accurate.

Reactions: Struma and ziggy_w

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for sharing. That clarifies things. I guess I’m gutted because I’m self funding, and so beginning to wonder what is the point of the libre if it’s not really accurate as it’s very expensive. However, I like the trends information and I guess the libre can’t replace blood testing.

Unfortunately it doesn’t eradicate finger prick testing. Some of us get it on the NHS and we still have to finger prick to confirm high or low readings. But libre reading off by 1-2 mmol/l compared to finger prick readings isn’t bad compared to some who have really off readings.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
@MeiChanski I'm a little lost, again, could you please tease out where the '1-2mmol/l' comes in?
I have followed @ShelleyDubs being 0.8% out between her machine and blood test for HbA1c, can't seem to work out where your numbers fit. Thank you. I am trying to learn this.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@MeiChanski I'm a little lost, again, could you please tease out where the '1-2mmol/l' comes in?
I have followed @ShelleyDubs being 0.8% out between her machine and blood test for HbA1c, can't seem to work out where your numbers fit. Thank you. I am trying to learn this.
When I was using Libre, I’d find over the course of the sensor’s life that it could be underreading by as much as 3mmol, but not consistently. My last HbA1c came back from the lab at 35 - while Libre predicted 27 :hilarious:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I find that the Libre isn't consistent over time, and often lulls me into a false sense of security.

My latest sensor was spot on (amazingly) when I checked it the first day of activation (24 hours after application).

A week in and it was reading around 1 mmol/L low consistently, which was making me feel like I was doing really well. But wasn't.

This reminds me that I should check it again; 4 days left.

Edit: this time a 6.2 against a finger prick of 6.7, so not so far out this time. I really need to find a time when my BG is absolutely flat for half an hour to test properly.

[Small grumble; every time I add a note to the reading for my logbook in the App on my Samsung phone it refuses to accept "finger prick" and keeps substituting "finger pick". Haven't worked out if it is Samsung or Abbott driving this.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This seems to be a wide-ranging issue and it’s not one I’m happy with enough to pay £50 a pop. I worry that the libre can lull you into a false sense of security about your numbers. I’m not techy enough to use the add ons, so I’ll stick with regular finger pricks for a bit. I’ll probably try libre again when I get bored...

Reactions: Paulm80 and Struma

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I’ve been in a few situations where my libre read 3.2 but my finger prick said I was 5.0 so I wasn’t hypoing and today libre read 10.7 but infact I was 12.9. Sometimes it’s not too bad so around 0.5-0.8 mark but lately there has been a slight inaccuracies between readings.

Reactions: ShelleyDubs