A-Z complete multi vitamins and minerals

Wayne18000

Hi, I'm type 2 came off insulin a week ago and put on Ozempic. Am now .5 and 1000mg of metformin a day. Blood sugars are a lot better since have been on ozempic. My question is, do you think it's safe to take a multi vitamin and mineral tablet once a day. I know my iron count was low when I had a blood test so have picked a tablet with iron in also. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thanks

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm type 2 came off insulin a week ago and put on Ozempic. Am now .5 and 1000mg of metformin a day. Blood sugars are a lot better since have been on ozempic. My question is, do you think it's safe to take a multi vitamin and mineral tablet once a day. I know my iron count was low when I had a blood test so have picked a tablet with iron in also. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thanks
I am not qualified to say if it is safe or not. All I csan suggest is that of it is a sandard OTC supplement from a reputable supplier then it should not be harmful since these are low dose. Goweverm because they are not medecines, then they are not regulated or even tested to any degree, so will not be certified as safe either.

The Metformin is unlikely to affect the use of supplements like these, and there is no interaction listed against it. One thing that Metformin is associated with is that prolonged use may lead to vitamin B12 deficiency and this can in turn lead to a form of anemia. Your GP should have also prescribed folate (B9) for you to help reduce that risk. Note that B12 is not normally included in OTC supplements: even brewers yeast may not have any, so a specific B12 supp is advised if you become deficient. Also, you will need to take vitamin C to assist in absorbing iron from your food.

I have no experience of ozrmpic (semaglutide) which I understand is a periodic injection medication. There are some side effects listed for it such as vomiting that could interfere with vitamin supplements but not in a dangerous way.

This is what the FDA says on ozempic
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2017/209637lbl.pdf

Note that the FDA is better at screening in use abnormalities and contraindications that NICE often ignores. This is because the yellow card system in USA is larger population, and is mandatory.
There are also some indications of a suspected association with thyroid cancer which you should research yourself.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When taking Metformin I found that foods barely had time to touch the sides, it affected me so badly, so after stopping it I took a multivitamin and mineral tablet several times a week - I would just forget several days a week, as well. I think it probably helped me get back to a more normal situation. I showed signs of low thyroid supplement, even though I took the tablets I don't think I absorbed the active ingredient.

D

Deleted member 308541

I took multivitamin tablets at the same time I was on Metformin for 2½ years with no problems.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I assume your prescribing doctor looked for contraindications for semaglutide as linked to above? It is advisable to tell your doctor if you do take a supplement but I cannot spot any warnings about that.
It seems to work by slowing your stomach down, suppressing the hormone glucagon (glucose producing) but mainly by getting the pancreas to produce insulin better in response to glucose.
Not qualified to advise on supplements (you need a registered dietician for that) but know that vitamins and minerals are much better taken in the form of real food. For example haem iron is the most easily absorbed form of iron and is best eaten with vitamin C aka steak and a salad. Metformin necessitates a good combo of the B vitamins including B12:
Get all eight B vitamins from a variety of foods:
  • Whole grains (brown rice, barley, millet)
  • Meat (red meat, poultry, fish)
  • Eggs and dairy products (milk, cheese)
  • Legumes (beans, lentils)
  • Seeds and nuts (sunflower seeds, almonds)
  • Dark, leafy vegetables (broccoli, spinach, kai lan)