Question for Tresiba users

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doses vary massively - yes, I don't take that much, but there are people who will take that much or more.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
SO HOW DOES THIS EVEN MAKE SENSE. No one I know cuts back that much switching from two different basals. And, the fact is Levemir is STRONGER than Tresiba (obviously...that's why Tresiba lasts so long). Levemir is stronger but doesn't last long enough, Tresiba is not so strong because it lasts so long. So, your post makes very little sense and there is NO PEAK with Tresiba, there can't possible be a peak, it's totally flat. there are a million 'other reasons' ones BGs could be 'peaking'.' I also don't know ANY TYPE 1'S, UNLESS VERY OVERWEIGHT WHOM TAKE 47 UNITS OF BASAL OF ANY KIND.

Well, I'm 59 kg at just over 5' 10" which gives a BMI of 18.6. I am 23 years old and have had T1D (confirmed by non-existent c peptide and GAD through the roof, although I don't have the exact numbers to hand) for 7 years. Full disclosure, I am actually now taking 21.5 units of tresiba, which I suspect is due to the fact that I have had a lot of stress going on lately. I am on some other medications, as detailed in my signature. As for the absence of a peak, I'm not going to argue with you, but Novo Nordisk's own product monograph suggests a slight peak at what looks to me like 8 - 10 hours, although the scale on the graph is rubbish (p21).

I don't know what to say to you. I took 47 units of levemir for several years. To wit I was splitting it 26/21 morning/evening, but that could be off by 1 or 2 either way - it was several years ago, and I don't have any of my notes from that time to hand.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/tresiba-epar-product-information_en.pdf

The EMA states (p2) that 1 unit of one insulin analogue should be equal to 1 unit of any other, but anybody who has switched from Novosluggish to Humalog or Fiasp can tell you that that just isn't true.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like Tresiba now...its taken 1 years battling with dosage ( i like to persevere)!
Eventually we live happily together ....ive found that 1 week+ is best for me ...it needs to settle down imo.

Reactions: porl69

argie916

Hi all, I'll be starting on Tresiba today or tomorrow.
I started on Tresiba about 10 days ago, after years on 2000mg Metforming and Amaryl 1mg x 2 times.

My Tresiba dose is 10 mg, plus 4mg Amaryl AM and PM. It's working quite well, no extra symptoms of any kind. I inject it around 5 pm. My morning reading before breakfast is around 107 if I had croissants for breakfast the day before (235 before lunch), or around 99 if I had eggs and toast (165 before lunch).

I just love it...

candy13

Hi. I have been on Tresiba now for 6 months and still getting early morning hypos, on Levermir I had none, I have tried adjusting my dose and was hoping I could get a half dose to stop the hypos but probably not, will just have to take later in the evening - I currently take at 8pm. Also the joy of Tresiba is that you do not split and take one less insulin shot. Apart for the early hypos I think its good for me.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have been on Tresiba now for 6 months and still getting early morning hypos, on Levermir I had none, I have tried adjusting my dose and was hoping I could get a half dose to stop the hypos but probably not, will just have to take later in the evening - I currently take at 8pm. Also the joy of Tresiba is that you do not split and take one less insulin shot. Apart for the early hypos I think its good for me.
not quite sure what you mean? do you mean you want the ability to dose in half unit increments rather than full unit increments? if so ask your team for a Novopen Echo as that has the capability of half units, that's if your on cartridges though, if your on pre filled pens then you'll also need to ask for a switch to the cartridges, I did this a few months ago xx

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a real peak about 7ish hours after taking Tresiba so had to change from evening to am. I don't notice it during the day because it just helps Novo-not-so-rapid do it's job

Reactions: Struma

candy13

not quite sure what you mean? do you mean you want the ability to dose in half unit increments rather than full unit increments? if so ask your team for a Novopen Echo as that has the capability of half units, that's if your on cartridges though, if your on pre filled pens then you'll also need to ask for a switch to the cartridges, I did this a few months ago xx
Yes that is what I was trying to say. I now have a Novopen Echo but doctors keep forgetting to add the cartridges to my prescription, Hope it is sorted soon. Thanks

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'll be starting on Tresiba today or tomorrow. It's the first time in years I've had a basal that I only take once a day (I'm currently on 2x Levemir) and I was just wondering for those who are using it as well - does it matter whether I take it in the morning or at night in your experience? I know it's ultra long acting and so it probably shouldn't matter, but I know packet descriptions and peoples' experiences sometimes don't exactly match so I thought I'd ask.

My mornings are much more regular than my evenings, so I'd be able to take it at the same time more easily in the mornings. But I don't know if people are finding it more stable/better if they take it in the evening?

Tresiba lasts almost 2 days in your system (i think the average is around 42hours) so take it at whatever time you feel comfortable. It's so much easier to work with! Good luck with it :)

gmmorris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been taking Tresiba and NovoR for several years. Currently I take 19 units every morning around 9am. For me, it has minimal effect during the day, but seems to kick in after around 16 hours (around 1 am.) to the extent that I have to watch out for going hypo at around 8 am.

In addition, my weight has varied quite a lot recently, and that also requires variation of the units.

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Levy - I was using Tresiba before the pump, I took my injection in the morning, as you've said it makes no difference when you take it. as it lasts up to 36 hours, even if you miss your dose and then take it later in the day it hardly affects your control :)
If I miss [rarely] my 7pm dose of slow Tresiba of 24 units, my quick bg numbers shoot up until I inject a much smaller Tresiba at say 2pm. NB can anyone explain why my brother has better A1C control than me, as he ONLY injects Tresiba daily - no quick at all?

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I miss [rarely] my 7pm dose of slow Tresiba of 24 units, my quick bg numbers shoot up until I inject a much smaller Tresiba at say 2pm. NB can anyone explain why my brother has better A1C control than me, as he ONLY injects Tresiba daily - no quick at all?

Everyone is different. Personally I hate Tresiba because there is no way to adjust it on a daily basis for differing basal needs, and I find that at the dose I took it at when I tried it, it did not even last close to 24 hours. If I increased the dose I was severely hypo all night, so I don't believe its duration is any less dose-dependent than Levemir is, and the studies showing it lasting so long are usually for people taking 0.4u/kg which would incapacitate me.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I've been on tresiba for a few years and it made a big difference to my levels

Doesn't matter if you take it morning or night so long as it's always one or the other

Also missing 1 dose doesn't really matter as it stays in your system for about 72 hours

Can't adjust daily... but at least it lasts all day where levemir only lasted about 16 hours for me