Type 2 Newbie T2 overwhelmed by diet change

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't use chia seed but I do use Flaxseed (milled/ground). I sprinkle it on my food at least once a day, every day. Two or three pinches. It is full of essential Omega 3 and provides me with plenty of fibre because I am not a vegetable lover and I don't eat fruit.

I have also found some lovely bread. It is my local supermarket's own brand (Booths) and is labelled as their low GI seeded bread, but each slice is only 8g carbs and they are lovely thick big slices just right for toasting. It is well worth searching all your local supermarkets for bread and looking at the carb amounts per slice. You never know what you may find.
I also eat the Booths low GI bread. It doesn’t advertise itself as low carb but it is compared to other breads. (About 39 g of carbs per 100g. It’s also very, very nice and satisfying. I buy the uncut version and slice it into about half a centimetre slices using a bread/meat slicer. That way I THINK I’m eating 2 slices but really it’s only one! It has no discernible effect on my blood sugar.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also eat the Booths low GI bread. It doesn’t advertise itself as low carb but it is compared to other breads. (About 39 g of carbs per 100g. It’s also very, very nice and satisfying. I buy the uncut version and slice it into about half a centimetre slices using a bread/meat slicer. That way I THINK I’m eating 2 slices but really it’s only one! It has no discernible effect on my blood sugar.

I have been looking for good low carb bread that is a decent size and thickness for about 6 years. Other than the now discontinued Lidl rolls I haven't found a low enough carb one. Until a few weeks ago when I discovered the Booths low GI loaf. I haven't seen the uncut one, but am perfectly happy with the sliced version. I can't believe I have only just found it. We have used our local Booths since it opened many, many years ago.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been looking for good low carb bread that is a decent size and thickness for about 6 years. Other than the now discontinued Lidl rolls I haven't found a low enough carb one. Until a few weeks ago when I discovered the Booths low GI loaf. I haven't seen the uncut one, but am perfectly happy with the sliced version. I can't believe I have only just found it. We have used our local Booths since it opened many, many years ago.
Don't you like the Burgen Soya and Linseed bread? At 26.9g carbs per 100g it is less than the Booth's bread and contains the linseed so you wouldn't have to sprinkle it. I have never heard of Booth's supermarket, must be only in the North, so I can't compare the taste.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't you like the Burgen Soya and Linseed bread? At 26.9g carbs per 100g it is less than the Booth's bread and contains the linseed so you wouldn't have to sprinkle it. I have never heard of Booth's supermarket, must be only in the North, so I can't compare the taste.

Yes, I love(d) Burgen but none of our local supermarkets continue to stock it. I still manage to get some when we are on our cottage holidays. I can't bulk buy because our freezer isn't big enough. Individual slices are about 11 or 12g carbs if I remember correctly, slightly higher than the Booths. The Booths loaf also has linseed but not as much. I always sprinkled flaxseed when I was on the Burgen bread.

Yes, Booths is a northern supermarket. It is a family run business with Edwin Booth at the head and has been going since 1847 or thereabouts.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I still have toast for breakfast some days with loads of butter and home made marmalade, I've been experimenting with oranges and chia seeds or oranges with gelatine, a small orange and two or three leaves of gelatine seems more like marmalade and lasts a good week in the refrigerator.
Supermarket shelves getting you down - shop online, no more looking at stuff that helped you towards your t2, you just go and click on the LCHF stuff. I usually do an online shop every two or three weeks and then if I'm well enough I cook every other day or so and put half in the freezer. We use the slow cooker a lot plus the soup maker and after a month or so you've got enough variety in the freezer to not have the same meal twice in a week. Took ages to get organised enough especially to remember to take stuff out of the freezer to use the next day but we could easily go a week or more without having to cook from scratch. But you must remember to label stuff when you freeze it otherwise you can and we do frequently have some very strange meals!

Nick8718

So much good advice here. From my 6 month t2 experience: look after the sugars and up your exercise moderately and the cholesterol will naturally drop. I’ve now cut my metformin dose in half and am maintaining BG levels - a meter is absolutely essential. Read elsewhere on the forum for ways to try and (at least initially) get the NHS to find your testing strips. Costco has a couple of good cool books but don’t get hung up on making meals they take three hours to prepare (unless you have they spare time!) - there are loads of easy options .. I tend to eat slightly differently to how I used to .. smaller meals, not as heavy .. you’ll get through this and probably look great in clothes a couple of sizes smaller!