Type 2 “Red” Blood looking pale, leading to HIGH Glucose Error Reading?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Good morning people. OK, I’ve noticed that less than deep red Blood sample gives high reading on my Test strips. For example:

Low “Red” Blood = 10.3
Normal “Red” Blood = 7.4

Is this Low Red colouration more serum/plasma than Red blood cells? Does more or the Glucose reside in the serum/plasma? If so, am I reading slightly higher Glucose than I should be? Am I innocently introducing an error?

TIA - E

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Estragon yes I believe the blood glucose testing strips we use daily test plasma levels of glucose ( but the lab test HbA1c detects what is stuck to the red blood cells). I should think it might make a difference, I know my level of hydration certainly does. (Although bg tends to be lower if I’m well hydrated)
I never see any visible difference in the blood drop from my finger pricks though, it seems a bit odd that you have such variation in the macroscopic appearance, is there a time when this is more obvious? Ie after exercise, drinking a lot of water etc?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am surprised you can notice different shades of blood in such small samples. Assuming you are using the normal finger prick test are you squeezing your finger hard and mixing interstitial fluid with blood?
Washing hands in hot water should remove the need for squeezing.
Home glucose meters measure whole blood and a mathematical correction is applied in the meter so that it reads plasma level.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Estragon yes I believe the blood glucose testing strips we use daily test plasma levels of glucose ( but the lab test HbA1c detects what is stuck to the red blood cells).
Yup, I agree. HBAIC does the longterm effects on the Cells, which, by defintion have been replenished.

I know my level of hydration certainly does.
Oh really - OK! I'll note that.

I never see any visible difference in the blood drop from my finger pricks though
Yeah, I only "noticed" this after I got that HIGH, unexpected result. I subsequetly re-tested, noted the palenes of the sample and registered a similar high level. Subsequently during the day my numbers reverted to my normal 7.4-ish.

it seems a bit odd that you have such variation in the macroscopic appearance

Why odd? I'm seeing this. Or "odd" that I should see this at all? Or that the placing of the Lancet? Or . . . ?

Ie after exercise, drinking a lot of water etc?
Early days for me to comment. I do know I can get a 5.5 during the day AFTER excercise.

Once again, seriously, thanks for your time in considering your reply.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am surprised you can notice different shades of blood in such small samples.
It's a Curse! I make digital movie content. I'm pre-loaded with both colour references and an image memory that stuns others. As I say, it's a curse. Yeah, I'm the one that says of a Film, hmm, that's not the same shirt or her hair was lighter in that last scene or . . yah get the picture? But here, I can definatley register a kinda weakly inspid blood sample.
Assuming you are using the normal finger prick test are you squeezing your finger hard and mixing interstitial fluid with blood?
Yes. I tried to squeeze hard, but the area I was squeezing on was not very productive - but I went ahead. As to the mixing, how would I know? What comes out, is what comes out? And soooo.... maybe this IS at the basis of the 10 HIGH?

Washing hands in hot water should remove the need for squeezing.
Well, I'm careful to wash in hot water and use a fresh Kitchen Towel. I hadn't known the link between the Hot and Squeezing - noted!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a Curse! I make digital movie content. I'm pre-loaded with both colour references and an image memory that stuns others. As I say, it's a curse. Yeah, I'm the one that says of a Film, hmm, that's not the same shirt or her hair was lighter in that last scene or . . yah get the picture? But here, I can definatley register a kinda weakly inspid blood sample.

Yes. I tried to squeeze hard, but the area I was squeezing on was not very productive - but I went ahead. As to the mixing, how would I know? What comes out, is what comes out? And soooo.... maybe this IS at the basis of the 10 HIGH?

Well, I'm careful to wash in hot water and use a fresh Kitchen Towel. I hadn't known the link between the Hot and Squeezing - noted!
Just for clarity, I meant that you should not be squeezing hard, if you do you will be mixing interstitial fluid, which is clear, in with the blood, this may be the reason you are seeing different shades.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The colour of blood is down to how oxygenated it is highly oxygenated blood such as found in arteries is a brighter red venous blood darker.
Also the shape of blood cells tend to change.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s funny as someone mentioned the sample colours a few months ago. I seem to be the opposite thought - pale red tests much lower than dark red which looks thicker and tests higher. Interesting.