Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My nana's birthday was 15th December, and to celebrate it, the family put trees up on that day. I still do after all these years. So for us, you aren't early, you are late!

What a lovely family tradition!

I thought about celebrating Keith Richards' birthday by putting up my tree on the 18th to the accompaniment of Stones songs on YouTube. The 19th is the birthday of a friend I met about the same year as I discovered the Stones, 1964. And I decorated it to Christmas songs on the TV holiday music channel.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tipetoo and @Mike D I have been thinking about you two. Things are bad where I live right now, but nothing like the wildfires, and I keep reminding myself of that.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Tipetoo and @Mike D I have been thinking about you two. Things are bad where I live right now, but nothing like the wildfires, and I keep reminding myself of that.

Thank you @SaskiaKC :) ... Our dawn was a bright red sun and and the smoke and stink of it is strong.

Other states have had it worse.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
79864382_3929377907087759_4736380644290985984_o.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad I don't have a christmas tree with two of those running rampage!
79965448_10219357342678636_2953210635032199168_o.jpg

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thank you @SaskiaKC :) ... Our dawn was a bright red sun and and the smoke and stink of it is strong.

Other states have had it worse.

@SaskiaKC @Bluetit1802

Have not seen the sun all day ... but my vast front lawn is covered in blackened burnt gum leaves blown in on the wind. We could do with some respite ... and rest for those out in the field. Certainly brings home how critical it is to have an evac plan in place and a big 4WD. Returning to destroyed homes with at least something saved on the rush out eases the pain. Draw up a list, stick to it and at the very least, include an external drive updated with EVERY SINGLE file on your PC.

And a charged mobile

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mike D that is good advice. People here have similar plans, for wildfires, hurricanes, and tornadoes, depending on which part of the country they live in. It is nightmarish situations like these that have kept me from moving to a senior community near the coast. I love the sea. But without a car, and with a cat, I would be like a sitting duck whenever a hurricane threatened.

Hugs and prayers for you and @Tipetoo and your friends and families and neighbors.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
We have it a lot easier over here but I do remember quite vividly in the drought we had in the 70's being bussed up from RAF Sealand to help as fire beaters with a moorland fire in North Wales every day for over a week and even that though it pales to insignificance compared with what's happening now was an unforgettable and to a degree frightening experience just walking on the ground you could feel your feet burning through the soles of your boots and we were absolutely shattered when we left for camp at night, so I take my hat off to the guys and girls fighting those wild fires they are heroes.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning I was singing along with the choir at King's College Chapel, Cambridge, during their Christmas Eve broadcast festival of 9 lessons and carols. At the same time I was feeling discouraged and bitter at the state of the world. But just before the broadcast began, the radio host reminded listeners that the man who started this service, in 1918, did so as a reaction and response to the horrors he had experienced in the First World War.
There is always horror. And thank goodness there is always Christmas. And Christmas will outlive the horror, and so we will too. I just need to hang onto that.

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just need to hang onto that.
You do just that.

I would like to say Congratulatins and thank you. I wandered into the kitchen during the broadcast. I was captivated and stayed for the remainder of the performance.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I watched it also so maybe we were all singing along together :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, perfectly right! Vrolijk kerstfeest to you too!
I'm off now for an overdose of family, food and insulin :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Unexpected 3rd christmas dinner coming up tomorrow :)

Still very tired from the loss of old dog and don't really feel like doing much, especially not cooking. But yesterday was a very good and impossible to dose for christmas meal. Today was a grilled cheese sandwich, and while it was very nice, the numbers on my Libre tell me it's high time to start acting sensible again.

So I was scrolling aimlessly through facebook while hoping a yummy but sensible meal without work would pop up in my head when instead it popped up in my newsfeed!

I'm a member of a local 'weggeefhoek' -Give it away corner- where people can offer or ask all kinds of things for free, and someone was giving away a leftover stew with oxtail, carrot, leek, tomatoes, fennel, wine and fresh herbs, enough to serve 4!

Will put half in the freezer and see if it wants to be eaten just like it is, or with cauliflower rice, or perhaps turned into a soup.
Isn't that a wonderful lucky surprise!

80633109_10221845887881988_4438774582165372928_o.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wonderful!
What time are you serving supper? ;)
Whenever you manage to be here of course! I usually eat between 6 and 11:30 PM, but I don't mind diverting from my usual times once in a while :hilarious:

Looks wonderful, doesn't it!