What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for being so kind. Just back, cup of tea to hand.under a rug on the sofa with Daisy spread out like another rug on top. Gerald is a prince among injectors, not to mention his Geraldines. He went to so much trouble with extra anaesthetic, reassurance, from the ladies, took his time, and finished with antibiotic drops which I havent had before because he said “you dont want any complications Christmas week”. I hope the three of them enjoy the box of choccie biscuits I left.

I’m so pleased! He sounds an absolute gem. So thoughtful to give you the precautionary antibiotics too. Enjoy your well deserved snuggle under the rug with Daisy

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is Dennis getting for Christmas...I’ll keep it a secret, honest. I think he could rock a Christmas jumper. Did you ever find the Barbour coat? Its that sort of weather atm. Cats dont like to dress up but do like to get punch drink on catnip toys.

His best present will definitely be the discarded wrapping paper! He does have a Christmas jumper, it belonged to our old dog who was a similar size and I bought it because it was almost identical to Mr C’s Christmas jumper - what a sight the 2 of them made in the pub Christmas morning! ( Barbour cost still missing but I bought a nice waterproof one from TKMaxx)
Have you bought Bobs and Daisy anything apart from a ton of catnip?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes, I'm as loose as a moose aboot this hoose.
Glad your eye injection went well PM.
We had a great game of hide and seek at work today, 18 hairy sparkies hiding around the job phoning each other to report where the foreman was, he gave up at 11.30 and went home, we followed at 11.35, not a stroke done all day by anyone. Well he can't sack us all can he. Solidarnos brothers.
Now there was a sparky.
Good stuff hope you and yours have a lovely run up and enjoy everything. Best wishes.

Reactions: trick60

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
His best present will definitely be the discarded wrapping paper! He does have a Christmas jumper, it belonged to our old dog who was a similar size and I bought it because it was almost identical to Mr C’s Christmas jumper - what a sight the 2 of them made in the pub Christmas morning! ( Barbour cost still missing but I bought a nice waterproof one from TKMaxx)
Have you bought Bobs and Daisy anything apart from a ton of catnip?
Ha as long as Dennis has a warm coat and a Christmas jumper! Bobs and Daisy will get more soft fleecy rug and yes catnip. This Christmas though we will mourn Oz our friends dog ( she will be with us as always) it does mean the girls will have free rein.

Reactions: Debandez and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a lovely wooden bird feeder which Archie decided would be great fun to knock over so he could eat all the bird seed. Wherever we put the bird seed Archie would find it and eat it.

Who knew dogs like birdseed? bless him. Mind you Dennis will eat pretty much anything, the more revolting the better in his book.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Who knew dogs like birdseed? bless him. Mind you Dennis will eat pretty much anything, the more revolting the better in his book.
I think it is unusual, but he is a Labrador and they do like food. Both our Labradors also will eat revolting things- I won't elaborate but it sounds like Dennis eats similar stuff.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came home from the grocery store this afternoon only to spend 20 minutes down on the ground floor waiting in the elevator lobby. The outside crew here working on the fire alarm system had unwittingly shut off both elevators. Soon several tenants were gathered in the lobby wondering if and when we would ever be able to get home. The managerial staff were all off for the day at their staff Christmas party, and had apparently removed both the lobby chairs so that none of us could sit down to rest while we waited.
The fire alarm crew were running around asking each other if anyone had the bypass key to unlock and reactivate the elevator. I called the Fire Department, only to be told they would not come because they did not know if anyone was stuck in the elevator.
FINALLY one of them found a bypass key and brought the elevator to us. I rode up with a neighbor who, once we reached her floor, said she would be afraid to leave her apartment again. I feel the same way, the more so as one of the outside security guards, when I asked him if he could help us, laughed in my face.
I wonder what would have happened if a tenant had called for an ambulance and the paramedics had not been able to take the elevator to the rescue and the tenant had died ...
I have already been in touch with two local TV news departments, neither of which will broadcast the stories of what's been happening here.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it is unusual, but he is a Labrador and they do like food. Both our Labradors also will eat revolting things- I won't elaborate but it sounds like Dennis eats similar stuff.

One of my horsey friends had a Weimaraner and a Viszla, both of whom loved when the farrier came to the barn to trim the horses' hooves. The dogs loved to eat the hoof parings.
Unfortunately, the old dog adage was borne out: you can't keep a good hoof paring down.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everyone should have their very own Golden Retriever.

Now-we-know-why-they-have-a-dog.jpg

Reactions: DJC3

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came home from the grocery store this afternoon only to spend 20 minutes down on the ground floor waiting in the elevator lobby. The outside crew here working on the fire alarm system had unwittingly shut off both elevators. Soon several tenants were gathered in the lobby wondering if and when we would ever be able to get home. The managerial staff were all off for the day at their staff Christmas party, and had apparently removed both the lobby chairs so that none of us could sit down to rest while we waited.
The fire alarm crew were running around asking each other if anyone had the bypass key to unlock and reactivate the elevator. I called the Fire Department, only to be told they would not come because they did not know if anyone was stuck in the elevator.
FINALLY one of them found a bypass key and brought the elevator to us. I rode up with a neighbor who, once we reached her floor, said she would be afraid to leave her apartment again. I feel the same way, the more so as one of the outside security guards, when I asked him if he could help us, laughed in my face.
I wonder what would have happened if a tenant had called for an ambulance and the paramedics had not been able to take the elevator to the rescue and the tenant had died ...
I have already been in touch with two local TV news departments, neither of which will broadcast the stories of what's been happening here.
It is very poor what is going on Saskia.
I hope you can get someone interested in the appalling service you are getting, to do something about it.

Hugs for you.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC I’m really sorry for all the unnecessary stress your apartment management are putting you through, they seem completely useless and I can’t believe they were all off at the party while important work was being done. You’d have thought at least one of them would be in phone contact. What on earth could be their reasoning for removing both chairs? Your comment about the emergency services too, is completely valid.
I hope everything is working now and the rest of your day was less fraught.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
After a 0300, 0340 and then a 0430 trip to the bathroom I decided that I must be the new train driver and went for my tea break.

The misanthropic wonder wheel of bewilderment and obfuscated ramblings eventually gave out a reluctant 4.4

It was tidy up time yesterday in readiness for hordes of grandchildren descending next week. The attic cupboards are now full to bursting with all manner of items that are not invited to Christmas, it seems. Fire guards are now at the ready and even the garage has been spruced up a bit. I shall of course undo quite a lot of this pointless effort when I clean out the fires this morning and drag in more logs (back rooms) and coal (front room). My mother always said that a tidy house is the sign of a wasted life - I think she meant wasted as in over consumption of alcohol. I wonder what Quentin Crisp would says? Ah yes “There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse.”

Have a great day if you can, I must contemplate for at least a minute on the prospect of strong koffy before 6 am.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 for me at the moment. Been awake nearly an hour but granddaughters are asleep in the same room so don’t want to start moving around in case I wake them. They look adorable curled up together.
Today my middle daughter and her partner are going back up to London to spend Christmas with partner’s mum. Both of us are trying to be chirpy about it and look on the bright side but It won’t be the same. I think it’s the first time she’s spent it away. I remember trying not to feel sad when I was first married and we alternated Christmases between my family and his. Once we had the children I put my foot down though and said we were staying at home.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. Am on a bus on my way to Norwich to the hairdressers. It's so so early to be up and about but the buses only run hourly and I can't risk the later bus. I do love being able to use the bus when I am not working.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/evening folks, a 5.9 keeps me on the edge of McGarrett plains, and a day trip out to York today will certainly see me wandering a little further off the edge.
So sorry for all the bother you're going through @SaskiaKC it does seem so unnecessary and could surely have waited until the new year and benefitted from a little more planning. It was good to see from your subsequent posts that it hasn't damaged your indomitable spirit, however you should have punched that pillock who laughed at you right on his beak it would have been no more than he deserved, what an absolute tosser he is.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.2 this morning and it's all witchcraft to me.

Yesterday all I ate was a 12oz steak at 1400. Before eating my bg was 4.5 and after two hours... 6.9! No idea why as it was just a steak, cooked in the air fryer with a nob of butter added at the end. I admit I get frustrated at times by the whole thing as the whole action>reaction event isn't consistent.

Reactions: DJC3 and karen8967