Learning the lesson. Flat tire in the middle of nowhere

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you can be spontaneous. I am often spontaneous and hate planning.
Remembering to take my diabetes kit with me is as much habit as taking a credit card so I don't see why T1 should stop spontaneity.
I believe your recent experience was due to being new to diabetes. Over time, I am sure the "Test*****, spectacles, wallet and watch" check as you leave the house will include diabetes kit ... although I am not sure how to make it rhyme.

This is one of the myths of diabetes that really gets my goat - I manage my diabetes; it does not control me. Diabetes does not stop me doing what I want when I want* ... especially not staying out a bit longer than I intended.

(Sorry, rant over!)

*The exception could be driving when my BG is too low but in 16 years, that has affected me once.

I carry all I need for basic "running repairs" in an under bed box, stowed under the back seat of my van. Voltage meter, coolant system pipes repair tape. Socket set.. You name it. It's there. (Including a fold down shovel for snow, a device I fashioned to bypass the imobilizer & a 12v powered air compressor..)
I have breakdown cover too. Never used it. But if it all wasn't there? You can bet yer last unit of insulin, it will be needed...

My trusty old van has been everywhere.. (All over Europe.) But it's also had a regular service. ;) (& got us home.)

Of course, where diabetes is concerned. It don't stop you following what you wish... Just be mindful to throw the tools in your pocket or bag..

"Testicles, spectacles" thing is more a superstitious ritual in "crossing" one's self when there is nothing else to back you up...

Nice to see you back on the forum, by the way... :)

Rusty_Sweetbread

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
writing as a newbie (so happy to be corrected).

* Keep a can of cola and some dry crackers in a tupperware container in your car at all times.
* Keep the same in the bottom drawer of your desk at work
* Keep the same at your regular haunts

I'm wondering why people need to carry their insulin with them. (I do, but, I don't really understand why)

I just assume that, if you're stranded in the middle of nowhere, 'low blood glucose' is of more concern than 'high blood glucose'. Have I missed an important point?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Glad everything ended up ok , I leave two pens in my car at all times fast and slow acting always have a bag of jelly babies and always carry my phone ( which I can take my BS with ) , a few hours without insulin can be unpleasant, but not life threatening unlike a few hours without hypo treatment , so if your going to forget anything forget the insulin .as long as it’s for a few hours.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

* Keep a can of cola and some dry crackers in a tupperware container in your car at all times.

I'm wondering why people need to carry their insulin with them. (I do, but, I don't really understand why)

I just assume that, if you're stranded in the middle of nowhere, 'low blood glucose' is of more concern than 'high blood glucose'. Have I missed an important point?

Not at all Rusty. I take long acting once a day so I do take that out with me in case I am unavoidably not at home at the time I would normally take it but you are right, I would be more concerned about low levels if I was out in the middle of nowhere and not too concerned if I didn't have my rapid insulin with me. I have gone to work having forgotten to take it with me more than once so I simply don't eat anything or grab something low carb.

Reactions: mrtn.pllr

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have gone to work having forgotten to take it with me more than once so I simply don't eat anything or grab something low carb.

Been there, done that too.. :banghead:

I pretty much carry my D stuff about my person in my work trousers?
The external pouch pockets (like the in the "strides" featured below.)

Lucky for me (though I work in "engineering.) I don't really need to carry tools in this fashion..

image.jpeg

Reactions: KK123

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I always carry insulin on me, incase of:
- High blood glucose levels, in my opinion it is about the same concern as low blood glucose levels. If you are stranded somewhere with no basal or bolus insulin, things could get ugly very quickly. There are many reasons for low blood glucose but again, if you are stranded and had no insulin, your blood glucose wouldn’t drop. This of course depends on when your last dose was. Insulin is only in our bodies for a certain amount of time before our blood glucose starts climbing.
- If I wanted an extra helping of food.
- it is the only thing that is keeping you and me alive.

Reactions: mrtn.pllr

mrtn.pllr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But why? Are you on basal and bolus or on mixed insulin? You could've injected and eaten after getting home, although yes, you should always test before driving and during the drive if it's a longer one or if you feel unsure about whether you may go too low.
Because I had just been out of the hospital, I still have a basal bolus regime. Fixed meal times, fixed insulin, fixed amount of carb. I guess it's really strict at the beginning. My doctor always says we will liberalize my treatment but first I have to be on a fixed everything. It was really stupid of me to sit in the driving seat 1 week into my new condition...

mrtn.pllr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I carry all I need for basic "running repairs" in an under bed box, stowed under the back seat of my van. Voltage meter, coolant system pipes repair tape. Socket set.. You name it. It's there. (Including a fold down shovel for snow, a device I fashioned to bypass the imobilizer & a 12v powered air compressor..)
I have breakdown cover too. Never used it. But if it all wasn't there? You can bet yer last unit of insulin, it will be needed...

My trusty old van has been everywhere.. (All over Europe.) But it's also had a regular service. ;) (& got us home.)

Of course, where diabetes is concerned. It don't stop you following what you wish... Just be mindful to throw the tools in your pocket or bag..

"Testicles, spectacles" thing is more a superstitious ritual in "crossing" one's self when there is nothing else to back you up...

Nice to see you back on the forum, by the way... :)

Thanks, nice to be here, a truly great community!

mrtn.pllr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

A low is much worse I agree, but if you stuck somewhere it's good to inject and eat if you have to than let your BG go up to unnecessary levels because you didn't have insulin. Plus I like to be spontaneous, so if I go somewhere I like to keep the option to stay there for a night or something :)

mrtn.pllr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad everything ended up ok , I leave two pens in my car at all times fast and slow acting always have a bag of jelly babies and always carry my phone ( which I can take my BS with ) , a few hours without insulin can be unpleasant, but not life threatening unlike a few hours without hypo treatment , so if your going to forget anything forget the insulin .as long as it’s for a few hours.

I heard that I should have one basal and one bolus in my car always. But doesn't it spoil in there? Here now we have serious colds, what happens if my insulin freezes? Or boils in the summer heat in my car?

mrtn.pllr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been there, done that too.. :banghead:

I pretty much carry my D stuff about my person in my work trousers?
The external pouch pockets (like the in the "strides" featured below.)

Lucky for me (though I work in "engineering.) I don't really need to carry tools in this fashion..

View attachment 37342

The Diabetes panties :D :D

mrtn.pllr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always carry insulin on me, incase of:
- High blood glucose levels, in my opinion it is about the same concern as low blood glucose levels. If you are stranded somewhere with no basal or bolus insulin, things could get ugly very quickly. There are many reasons for low blood glucose but again, if you are stranded and had no insulin, your blood glucose wouldn’t drop. This of course depends on when your last dose was. Insulin is only in our bodies for a certain amount of time before our blood glucose starts climbing.
- If I wanted an extra helping of food.
- it is the only thing that is keeping you and me alive.

Thats true indeed. My biggest fear is ketoacidosis, and that could happen really quick without insulin...

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats true indeed. My biggest fear is ketoacidosis, and that could happen really quick without insulin...

Indeed, I was told that on MDI and you don’t have neither injections, we have less than 24hours before developing DKA. On a pump, it is even quicker - less than 4 hours.