1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Learning the lesson. Flat tire in the middle of nowhere

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by mrtn.pllr, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I carry all I need for basic "running repairs" in an under bed box, stowed under the back seat of my van. Voltage meter, coolant system pipes repair tape. Socket set.. You name it. It's there. (Including a fold down shovel for snow, a device I fashioned to bypass the imobilizer & a 12v powered air compressor..)
    I have breakdown cover too. Never used it. But if it all wasn't there? You can bet yer last unit of insulin, it will be needed...

My trusty old van has been everywhere.. (All over Europe.) But it's also had a regular service. ;) (& got us home.)

Of course, where diabetes is concerned. It don't stop you following what you wish... Just be mindful to throw the tools in your pocket or bag..

"Testicles, spectacles" thing is more a superstitious ritual in "crossing" one's self when there is nothing else to back you up...

Nice to see you back on the forum, by the way... :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rusty_Sweetbread

Rusty_Sweetbread LADA · Active Member

writing as a newbie (so happy to be corrected).

* Keep a can of cola and some dry crackers in a tupperware container in your car at all times.
    * Keep the same in the bottom drawer of your desk at work
    * Keep the same at your regular haunts

I'm wondering why people need to carry their insulin with them. (I do, but, I don't really understand why)

I just assume that, if you're stranded in the middle of nowhere, 'low blood glucose' is of more concern than 'high blood glucose'. Have I missed an important point?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Rusty_Sweetbread carrying insulin with you ensures that if you have a sudden yearning for that yummy cream cake, you can have it lol!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Glad everything ended up ok , I leave two pens in my car at all times fast and slow acting always have a bag of jelly babies and always carry my phone ( which I can take my BS with ) , a few hours without insulin can be unpleasant, but not life threatening unlike a few hours without hypo treatment , so if your going to forget anything forget the insulin .as long as it’s for a few hours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not at all Rusty. I take long acting once a day so I do take that out with me in case I am unavoidably not at home at the time I would normally take it but you are right, I would be more concerned about low levels if I was out in the middle of nowhere and not too concerned if I didn't have my rapid insulin with me. I have gone to work having forgotten to take it with me more than once so I simply don't eat anything or grab something low carb.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jaylee

Staff Member

Been there, done that too.. :banghead:

I pretty much carry my D stuff about my person in my work trousers?
    The external pouch pockets (like the in the "strides" featured below.)

Lucky for me (though I work in "engineering.) I don't really need to carry tools in this fashion..

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I always carry insulin on me, incase of:
    - High blood glucose levels, in my opinion it is about the same concern as low blood glucose levels. If you are stranded somewhere with no basal or bolus insulin, things could get ugly very quickly. There are many reasons for low blood glucose but again, if you are stranded and had no insulin, your blood glucose wouldn’t drop. This of course depends on when your last dose was. Insulin is only in our bodies for a certain amount of time before our blood glucose starts climbing.
    - If I wanted an extra helping of food.
    - it is the only thing that is keeping you and me alive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mrtn.pllr

mrtn.pllr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Because I had just been out of the hospital, I still have a basal bolus regime. Fixed meal times, fixed insulin, fixed amount of carb. I guess it's really strict at the beginning. My doctor always says we will liberalize my treatment but first I have to be on a fixed everything. It was really stupid of me to sit in the driving seat 1 week into my new condition...

• Hug Hug x 2
  9. mrtn.pllr

Thanks, nice to be here, a truly great community!

10. mrtn.pllr

A low is much worse I agree, but if you stuck somewhere it's good to inject and eat if you have to than let your BG go up to unnecessary levels because you didn't have insulin. Plus I like to be spontaneous, so if I go somewhere I like to keep the option to stay there for a night or something :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mrtn.pllr

I heard that I should have one basal and one bolus in my car always. But doesn't it spoil in there? Here now we have serious colds, what happens if my insulin freezes? Or boils in the summer heat in my car?

12. mrtn.pllr

The Diabetes panties :D :D

13. mrtn.pllr

Thats true indeed. My biggest fear is ketoacidosis, and that could happen really quick without insulin...

14. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Indeed, I was told that on MDI and you don’t have neither injections, we have less than 24hours before developing DKA. On a pump, it is even quicker - less than 4 hours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

@mrtn.pllr I hope you finally got a spare wheel with a inflated tyre put in your car...

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Jaylee

Staff Member

Hey! I'm not incontinent...

Just practical. ;):D

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook